Large distribution of perl programs
Author Message
 Large distribution of perl programs

I'm wondering what other admins do in the position that I'm in now.

Presently I'm looking to be able to distribute perl programs to a
large number of off-site NT workstations (several thousand) that do
not have a full installation of perl on them (i.e. something similar
to ActiveState).  My programs do use a fair number of standard
modules, and distrbuting these programs with the correct modules is
important.

Of course I want to eventually convince the PHBs to have a full and
up-to-date install of perl on these workstations, however, this may
not happen for a long time as this endeavor would have to take place
in the workstation staging process, which rarely changes.

So my question is for those people who are in this boat, what do they
do?  I am also interested in how people track down *exactly* which
modules a program uses (right now I'm using Devel::Loaded), and how
they distribute these modules.  For instance, I have a program that
uses Net::FTP, but getting it to work with just the necessary modules
has proven difficult.

Also, please not that I am NOT interested in turning these programs
into C or byte-code of any kind - they will be distributed in source
form.

Thanks,
Luke Bakken

Wed, 17 Dec 2003 03:18:17 GMT
 Large distribution of perl programs

Quote:
> I'm wondering what other admins do in the position that I'm in now.

> Presently I'm looking to be able to distribute perl programs to a
> large number of off-site NT workstations (several thousand) that do
> not have a full installation of perl on them (i.e. something similar
> to ActiveState).  My programs do use a fair number of standard
> modules, and distrbuting these programs with the correct modules is
> important.

> Of course I want to eventually convince the PHBs to have a full and
> up-to-date install of perl on these workstations, however, this may
> not happen for a long time as this endeavor would have to take place
> in the workstation staging process, which rarely changes.

> So my question is for those people who are in this boat, what do they
> do?  I am also interested in how people track down *exactly* which
> modules a program uses (right now I'm using Devel::Loaded), and how
> they distribute these modules.  For instance, I have a program that
> uses Net::FTP, but getting it to work with just the necessary modules
> has proven difficult.

> Also, please not that I am NOT interested in turning these programs
> into C or byte-code of any kind - they will be distributed in source
> form.

hmmm... it might be that I haven't slept, but... couldn't you just send
an install-script that uses something "perl -e 'use CPAN[...]"-ish to
install whatever is missing? Don't know anything about ActiveState, but
surely there most be something like it there...

        /Tony
--
the truth is dead, faith is gone, reality killed... ruled by the plastic
laws of modern life we're pushed towards the hell of personal doubt,

Wed, 17 Dec 2003 14:46:01 GMT

1. Date problems

2. Perl program distribution

3. Perl program distribution

4. Createing a program distribution CD-Rom?

5. system/pipe hang on large output perl program

6. modularizing large perl programs

7. Large programs: is Perl up to it?

8. Developing large Perl programs

9. When is perl program too large?

10. perl.com's HTML man pages (was Re: Design styles for programming in the large)

11. TPW 1.5 using LPT1 to print with LEXMARK PRINTER

12. BLOB insert in a Query?