Found a stash of CPAN RPMs
Author Message
 Found a stash of CPAN RPMs

Hi all --

a few weeks ago, I posted regarding putting together RPMs of Perl
5.00503 (when it's out) and some widely used module distributions:
libnet, LWP, etc.  I only got two responses, one saying "good idea, go
for it" the other saying "bad idea, building from source is good for the
soul".

However, nobody pointed out that this has already been done, and on a
much larger scale than I was planning: it appears that Red Hat has put
433 distributions from CPAN into RPMs.  Not everything is there; I
suspect they punted on distributions that don't build perfectly
automatically.  Also, I suspect these RPMs go with Perl 5.004, in
particular the 5.004 that's included with Red Hat 5.2.  This might
explain why they haven't upgraded their Perl RPM -- they'd also have to
upgrade all their CPAN RPMs, which I imagine takes many many hours of
downloading and crunching.

Go visit

    http://www.*-*-*.com/

if you're curious.

Just thought the Perl community should know about this.  (And if it did
already, then why didn't anybody tell me when I posted? :-)

        Greg

1895 Preston White Drive                      voice: +1-703-620-8990 x287
Reston, {*filter*}ia, USA  20191-5434               fax: +1-703-620-0913

Mon, 23 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. CPAN.pm install Bundle::CPAN -- Couldn't find a Bundle file

2. Stashing and reloading binary versions of hashes

3. More problems with the stash.

4. Searching the stash from an extension.

5. mod_perl / Redhat 7.1 RPMS / Apache::ASP nightmare

6. RPMs for 5.004-4

7. Perl RPMs for Red Hat Linux

8. PerlTk 8.10 RPMs available

9. New Tk 800.008 RPMs

10. Perl/Tk 800.00x RPMs anywhere?

11. Can't find IO::Scalar, IO::ScalarArray on CPAN

12. Can't find Filesys on CPAN