Can my Perl be fixed manually without re-install?
Author Message
 Can my Perl be fixed manually without re-install?

I have been running perl using the -w switch but on many posts people
advise including the line: use strict;

However when I add this into my script I get the following error
message:

    BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at c:\<pathname><scriptname>line
6.

      print "<P>" . $inc . "</P>";
    }

the following is printed:
    ..\lib\i386-win32
    ..\lib
    .

I have been told that Perl is *broken* and I need to re-install.
However because I do not have sufficient access rights on the system I
was wondering if there was a way to manually get it working?

My version of Perl is Perl for win32 5.003_07 build 316

Thnxs for any help you can give.

Wed, 21 Apr 2004 00:31:20 GMT
 Can my Perl be fixed manually without re-install?

Quote:

> the following is printed:
>     ..\lib\i386-win32
>     ..\lib
>     .
> I have been told that Perl is *broken* and I need to re-install.

I would go along with that. There are lots of things that won't work on
your system - you won't be able to find *any* libraries without hacking
every perl script you write.

Quote:
> However because I do not have sufficient access rights on the system I
> was wondering if there was a way to manually get it working?
> My version of Perl is Perl for win32 5.003_07 build 316

I assume this is NT - in which case I can offer no systems advice. (But
I have this linux boot floppy here which would help :-)

My advice is to ask the people who *can* administer your machine to
re-install the perl, preferably from a more recent copy (that one's a
couple of years old at least). You can download it from activestate, or
I'm sure that Activestate would be more than happy to sell you a disk
with it on if that pleases your PHBs better.

I put Activestate perl on my Win 98 machine, and it installs correctly
and cleanly just like any other Windows app.

In the mean time, you can look for "strict.pm" on your system, and push

course that won't work either :-(

Ian

Sat, 24 Apr 2004 18:14:40 GMT

1. Argh!!!!!!!!! (was: Spambot Fodder - Dont Bother To Read - Thanks)

2. Perl 5.003 Install Question: Install without compiler?

3. How do you install packages manually without PPM (ActiveState WinNT)...

4. Help..I am BIT without a MAP

5. install dbd::mysql without installing mysql ??

6. question about canned perl script

7. Installing modules without access to PERL

8. Executable without Perl installed?

9. Installing a Perl module without shell access

10. Prob installing Perl module without PPM

11. How can i install Perl DBI module without the cc compiler

12. CPAN - Installing modules without perl upgrade