Problem installing modules
Author Message
 Problem installing modules

I am running ActivePerl 5.6 on a PC with Windows 98.  When I download
modules from CPAN with

    perl -MCPAN -e "install [whatever]"

in a DOS window, my make.exe fails every time with the message "***
missing separator".  The offending part of the makefiles is:

pm_to_blib: $(TO_INST_PM)

        "-I$(PERL_ARCHLIB)" "-I$(PERL_LIB)" -MExtUtils::Install \
        -e "pm_to_blib(qw[ <<pmfiles.dat ],'$(INST_LIB)\auto')"

$(PM_TO_BLIB)
<<

The error is reported as being on the line "$(PM_TO_BLIB)".

I am using the version of make.exe contained in the UnxUtils packages
from http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~syring/win32/UnxUtils.zip.

Is there some other version of make that will process these makefiles?

   School of Information Systems, Univ. of East Anglia, Norwich, U.K.

Wed, 27 Aug 2003 02:01:02 GMT
 Problem installing modules

Quote:
> I am running ActivePerl 5.6 on a PC with Windows 98.  When I download
> modules from CPAN with
>     perl -MCPAN -e "install [whatever]"
> in a DOS window, my make.exe fails every time with the message
> "*** missing separator".
[ ... ]
> I am using the version of make.exe contained in the UnxUtils packages
> from http://www.weihenstephan.de/~syring/win32/UnxUtils.zip.

For ActivePerl, it's easiest to use Microsoft's nmake, available from
ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/SoftLib/mslfiles/nmake15.exe as a
self-extracting archive. You should then check in Perl's Config.pm
that "make=..." specifies nmake, and also that in CPAN.pm's
Config.pm that the line "make => ..." refers to nmake.

best regards,
randy kobes

Thu, 28 Aug 2003 07:19:27 GMT
 Problem installing modules

Quote:

>For ActivePerl, it's easiest to use Microsoft's nmake, available from
>ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/SoftLib/mslfiles/nmake15.exe as a
>self-extracting archive.

Thanks, that gets me one step further.  My next problem is that Perl
doesn't seem to like my C compiler.  I have Visual C++ 6.0 installed,
which includes a cl.exe, but most of the C compilations fail.  And nmake
is still failing on some makefiles.

Is there some standard set of tools I can put on a Windows 98 machine out
of the box and have CPAN downloads just work?

   School of Information Systems, Univ. of East Anglia, Norwich, U.K.

Fri, 29 Aug 2003 22:18:38 GMT
 Problem installing modules

Quote:
> Is there some other version of make that will process these makefiles?

The file README.win32 file that comes with the source distrubution will give
you some pointers for compiling under 9x - specifically, it says that due to
the crappiness of the command.com shell you will need dmake, a port of which
is at:

http://www.cpan.org/authors/id/GSAR/dmake-4.1pl1-win32.zip

Hope this helps--

--Ben Kennedy

Sat, 30 Aug 2003 11:56:01 GMT
 Problem installing modules

Quote:

>>For ActivePerl, it's easiest to use Microsoft's nmake, available from
>>ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/SoftLib/mslfiles/nmake15.exe as a
>>self-extracting archive.
> Thanks, that gets me one step further.  My next problem is that Perl
> doesn't seem to like my C compiler.  I have Visual C++ 6.0 installed,
> which includes a cl.exe, but most of the C compilations fail.  And nmake
> is still failing on some makefiles.
> Is there some standard set of tools I can put on a Windows 98 machine out
> of the box and have CPAN downloads just work?

Cygwin Tools, which contains a port of many Unixoid utilities.
It has a shell, the GNU C Compiler (gcc), and things such as
a proper grep and proper make.

Chris

--
Christopher E. Stith
People understand instinctively that the best way for computer programs to

Sun, 31 Aug 2003 01:34:00 GMT
 Problem installing modules

Quote:
> Is there some standard set of tools I can put on a Windows 98 machine out
> of the box and have CPAN downloads just work?

You could try one of the Unix-on-Windows tool-sets.  I've downloaded and
read some on UWin, MinGW, and Cygwin.  I haven't had a chance to install
them yet, but did use Cygwin several years ago.  MinGW looks like the
preferable one to me (compiles in such a way that you don't need Cygwin
libraries and isn't just a pass-through (UWin compilers really just call MS
C++ or Borland C++)).

Sat, 30 Aug 2003 22:46:56 GMT
 Problem installing modules

Quote:

>Thanks, that gets me one step further.  My next problem is that Perl
>doesn't seem to like my C compiler.  I have Visual C++ 6.0 installed,
>which includes a cl.exe, but most of the C compilations fail.  And nmake
>is still failing on some makefiles.

Sounds like the perl you have was compiled with a different C compiler.
If a CPAN module requires C compilation, it pretty much *has* to be
done with the same compiler perl was built with.

One could argue this is a problem with C, CPAN, perl, etc, but it would
be fruitless.  It's just the way the world is.  Knowing ActiveState,
there is undoubtably (a) documentation on what compiler is used, and
(b) an easy place to get it if it's freely available.
--
Better to be good without reason than to be evil for a hundred good reasons.
  -- Gene Wolfe

Sun, 31 Aug 2003 03:40:22 GMT
 Problem installing modules

Quote:

>>For ActivePerl, it's easiest to use Microsoft's nmake, available from
>>ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/SoftLib/mslfiles/nmake15.exe as a
>>self-extracting archive.
> Thanks, that gets me one step further.  My next problem is that Perl
> doesn't seem to like my C compiler.  I have Visual C++ 6.0 installed,
> which includes a cl.exe, but most of the C compilations fail.  And nmake
> is still failing on some makefiles.
> Is there some standard set of tools I can put on a Windows 98 machine out
> of the box and have CPAN downloads just work?

As some other replies indicated, there are sets of tools
that you could use that include a C compiler, but that's not
compatible with ActivePerl, meaning you'd have to build your own
Perl. You might want to first try tracking down why your Perl
doesn't like VC++. What sort of error messages are you getting
with VC++? Does VC++ compile some simple C program from the command
line OK? Is cl.exe in your PATH, and did you run vcvars32.bat
(which sets up some needed environment variables) before starting?
Does the line "cc=..." in Perl's Config.pm specify cl.exe?

best regards,
randy kobes

Sun, 31 Aug 2003 22:31:07 GMT

1. Multi Threads accessing the same database

2. Returning string values to Word from a Delphi DLL

3. Registration Component building one

4. StoredDefs and LookupCache questions

5. Q: PENTIUM II machines and RTE 200

6. Palettes in Windows 3.x

7. Interrupts - are they queued or ignored??

8. Reading a Set Record??? (newbie)

9. Delphi Help

10. Navigating in DBGrid using <enter>- key

11. Q : Problem installing module libnet-1.0505 !

12. Problem installing modules with Perl 5.003_02 on BSDi3.0