can't build perl 5.6.1 under Win98
Author Message
 can't build perl 5.6.1 under Win98

I've downloaded the perl 5.6.1 source and am trying to compile it under
Win98, using MSVC 5.3 SP3 with either bash or command.com as my command
interpreter.  I am blocked at every turn.

First I tried using nmake.  I read README.win32 and checked and adjusted my
win32/Makefile.  Despite much effort, it seems that nmake fails because the
Makefile includes && and || commands such as

       cd .. && miniperl configpm

and

        $(MINIPERL) -I..\lib config_h.PL "INST_VER=$(INST_VER)" \
            || $(MAKE) /$(MAKEFLAGS) $(CONFIGPM)

which command.com is far too stupid to comprehend.  Unfortunately with
nmake, I can't tell it to call bash as the shell; I'm stuck with
command.com.  So nmake fails.

Next I tried the DOS port of GNU make.  This is hopeless, since the
commands in Makefile aren't even indented with tabs, and who knows what
other problems would await if I tried to correct that.

Next I tried dmake.  I set SHELL=c:/fsf/bin/bash.exe -, which seems to
work.  But the makefile.mk is loaded with the path separator \, while of
course bash wants /.  I could go through makefile.mk by hand and carefully
change all of the path separators, but at this point I'm reluctant to do it
without some indication that I might succeed.

Has anyone else successfully built perl 5.6.1 under Win98?  Which version
of make did you use, and how much did you have to hack the makefiles to get
it to work?

I'm frustrated to be told "just build it from source, it's already ported
to win32" and then have the build process so persistently fail.  Any help
would be much appreciated.

Andrew.

Sun, 21 Dec 2003 22:59:02 GMT
 can't build perl 5.6.1 under Win98

Quote:
> I've downloaded the perl 5.6.1 source and am trying to compile it under
> Win98, using MSVC 5.3 SP3 with either bash or command.com as my command
> interpreter.  I am blocked at every turn.

> First I tried using nmake.  I read README.win32 and checked and adjusted
my
> win32/Makefile.  Despite much effort, it seems that nmake fails because
the
> Makefile includes && and || commands such as
>        cd .. && miniperl configpm
> and
> $(MINIPERL) -I..\lib config_h.PL "INST_VER=$(INST_VER)" \
>     || $(MAKE) /$(MAKEFLAGS) $(CONFIGPM)
> which command.com is far too stupid to comprehend.  Unfortunately with
> nmake, I can't tell it to call bash as the shell; I'm stuck with
> command.com.  So nmake fails.
[ ... ]
> Has anyone else successfully built perl 5.6.1 under Win98?  Which version
> of make did you use, and how much did you have to hack the makefiles to
get
> it to work?

> I'm frustrated to be told "just build it from source, it's already ported
> to win32" and then have the build process so persistently fail.  Any help
> would be much appreciated.

I've built 5.6.1 from the sources on Win98, using VC++ 6. It didn't
pass all the tests, as might be expected, but I haven't noticed
anything glaringly broken ... A couple of changes I made were
in ExtUtils\MM_*.pm - remove all occurrences of the redirection
'2 >&1', and also, in xs_c and xs_o in MM_Unix.pm, change
    some_command > some_file && some_other_command
    some_command > some_file
    some_other_command
Apart from these, I didn't have to change anything else
apart from the needed editing of the makefile.

Although they're not free, you may want to take a look at
http://www.jpsoft.com/ for an alternative command line;
I've used their NT tools on WIn98 without problem.

best regards,
randy kobes

Mon, 22 Dec 2003 11:11:46 GMT

1. can't build perl 5.6.1 under Win98

2. Compiler without code size restriction

3. delphi & networks

4. Can't build Net/libnet-1.0606 using ActivePerl 5.005 on Win98

5. Building Perl/Tk on Win98

6. perl under win98 but no win98 directory.

7. Can't install Perl on Win98!

8. Newbie who can't get Perl started in Win98

9. question about canned perl script

10. perl in cgi-bin of apache in win98 won't work

11. Finding Win98 Perl/TK -- I'm Lost!

12. tptutr04.zip Glenn Grotzinger's ascii-text Turbo Pascal Tutor