CPAN.pm Bug? "There's a new CPAN.pm version (v$version) available!"
Author Message
 CPAN.pm Bug? "There's a new CPAN.pm version (v$version) available!"

        There\'s a new CPAN.pm version (v$version) available!
          [Current version is v$CPAN::VERSION]
          You might want to try
            install Bundle::CPAN
            reload cpan
          without quitting the current session. It should be a seamless upgrade
          while we are running...

Do I have something set funky or is this really an age old bug?  Attempting
to install Bundle::CPAN fires off dependences that point to the perl itself
as package owner...which results in "install Bundle::CPAN" attempting to do
a full perl install...without prompting first if it's "ok" (yes, I have my
config set to "ask" as this same bug/feature affects modules asking for IO
and such).  When other modules attempt to do this the "ask" setting allows
me to say, "No, it's no ok for you to install IO, ignore it...you'll be
fine." For some reason Bundle::CPAN doesn't get cought by this and the first
stopping point is after perl is downloaded, unpacked, and asking me if I see
the "-> *" so Configure can format questions correctly.

Am I missing something?  Is there a setting someplace that tells CPAN.pm to
always skip any module with perl as its package owner?  Is there another
tool I should be using instead of CPAN.pm perhaps?

TIA

--

BSD:  A psychoactive drug, popular in the 80s, probably developed at UC
Berkeley or thereabouts.  Similar in many ways to the prescription-only

Tue, 07 Oct 2003 07:49:28 GMT

1. Access to TField Objects on the fly

2. can't install CPAN.pm from CPAN.pm

3. installing CPAN.pm with CPAN.pm

4. CPAN.pm loses version number info

5. CPAN.pm: version of installed module not updated?

6. CPAN.pm: version of installed module not updated?

7. Problems deploying Delphi application

8. Beginner's question

9. instructions for inputing and outputing data in BP7 for win

10. CPAN.pm install Bundle::CPAN -- Couldn't find a Bundle file

11. Getopt::Long version 2.3beta2 available on CPAN

12. Version 1.00 of Pod::Parser and Pod::Usage Available on CPAN