create a tarball for perl
Author Message
 create a tarball for perl

I need to create a tarball containing a version of perl that I can use
to install perl in dir usr/local. I have to build and install it in a
dir other than usr/local(such as my home dir), then create the tarball
there. Could anyone help me on this? Thanks.

Tue, 13 Apr 2004 21:24:09 GMT
 create a tarball for perl

Quote:

> I need to create a tarball containing a version of perl that I can use
> to install perl in dir usr/local. I have to build and install it in a
> dir other than usr/local(such as my home dir), then create the tarball
> there. Could anyone help me on this? Thanks.

The problem is that the directory specified by -Dprefix= to the
Configure script serves two purposes.  It is built into the binaries
to allow them to find libraries and other startup files and it is also
used as the location at which to do the actual installation (during
"make install").

One thought is to manually modify the makefiles to install into a
dummy directory and then tar from there.  The problem with this
approach is that the installation process itself modifies some of the
installed scripts to contain the location of the directory used for
installation.

-- John Wiersba

Sun, 18 Apr 2004 23:15:46 GMT
 create a tarball for perl
On 31 Oct 2001 07:15:46 -0800,

Quote:

>> I need to create a tarball containing a version of perl that I can use
>> to install perl in dir usr/local. I have to build and install it in a
>> dir other than usr/local(such as my home dir), then create the tarball
>> there. Could anyone help me on this? Thanks.

> The problem is that the directory specified by -Dprefix= to the
> Configure script serves two purposes.  It is built into the binaries
> to allow them to find libraries and other startup files and it is also
> used as the location at which to do the actual installation (during
> "make install").

While that is true, in normal cases, there are provisions to do what
the OP wants. Quote from the INSTALL file that's bundled with Perl:

       Changing the installation directory

       Configure distinguishes between the directory in which
       perl (and its associated files) should be installed and
       the directory in which it will eventually reside.  For
       most sites, these two are the same; for sites that use
       AFS, this distinction is handled automatically.  However,
       sites that use software such as depot to manage software
       packages, or users building binary packages for distribu-
       tion may also wish to install perl into a different direc-
       tory and use that management software to move perl to its
       final destination.  This section describes how to do that

I would advise the OP to read that section in the INSTALL file, and
the section immediately after it, which has the title "Creating an
installable tar archive", which explains step by step how to do this.
It works. I've done it.

Martien
--

Martien Verbruggen              | 42.6% of statistics is made up on the
Trading Post Australia Pty Ltd  | spot.

Mon, 19 Apr 2004 12:38:41 GMT
 create a tarball for perl

Quote:

> I need to create a tarball containing a version of perl that I can use
> to install perl in dir usr/local. I have to build and install it in a
> dir other than usr/local(such as my home dir), then create the tarball
> there. Could anyone help me on this? Thanks.

How should I do if I like the installation works this way: user will
untar the package from /usr directory, and the perl will be installed
in /usr/local directory? Thanks.

[ Moderator's note: This seems to be drifting into general issues of
tar files, unrelated to Perl.  If discussion doesn't move back on
track, we'll probably start closing up the thread soon. ]

Wed, 05 May 2004 05:19:57 GMT

1. Transferring Data between Oracle and Sql Server: Help.....Please....

2. source for simple modem communication needed

3. create tarball of perl

4. DBI/DBI binary tarballs?

5. DBI/DBI binary tarballs?

6. DBI/DBI binary tarballs?

7. Guido CVS tarball

8. Delphi2-Display True as Yes

9. EOF. Returned when there is no row to return

10. How reboot PC in Windows3.1 in BPW ?

11. Two processes created with Process::Create

12. HOWTO: create HTML tree of Perl documentation for Perl-5.004