Perl as a FileMaker plugin?
Author Message
 Perl as a FileMaker plugin?

Has anyone heard of or worked on such a beasty? I've got a project for
which having "perl" as an external function for calculation or
validation would be most useful. The tasks in question (check-digit
verification, calculated fields from stand-alone scripts, etc.) seem a
whole lot better suited to Perl than to FM's set of builtin functions.
Having an external Perl program use DBI modules or somesuch mechanism
to reach in and diddle the data seems a bit clunky, and The Powers
That Be have declared that FileMaker shall be the user interface.

dan

--
Daniel Macks

http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~dmacks

Sun, 23 Feb 2003 07:27:18 GMT
 Perl as a FileMaker plugin?
what platform are you using, Win32 or Macintosh?

I think on the Mac this won't be too difficult as MacPerl supports
AppleEvents (as does FileMaker -- to an extent).

For Win32, I don't know. My experience with FileMaker has been limited to
the Mac.

Has anyone heard of or worked on such a beasty? I've got a project for
which having "perl" as an external function for calculation or
validation would be most useful. The tasks in question (check-digit
verification, calculated fields from stand-alone scripts, etc.) seem a
whole lot better suited to Perl than to FM's set of builtin functions.
Having an external Perl program use DBI modules or somesuch mechanism
to reach in and diddle the data seems a bit clunky, and The Powers
That Be have declared that FileMaker shall be the user interface.
[snip]

Mon, 24 Feb 2003 02:38:34 GMT

1. How to perform SQL query with Apollo?

2. Blob fields

3. DBD 7

4. D2, BDE 4.51 Oracle 8.0.5

5. Plug-n-play:Does anyone know how to read the conguration data?

6. Application Path = ???

7. FileMaker Pro && Perl

8. FileMaker && Perl

9. Perl and Mac/NT Filemaker Pro 4.0