Perl version compatibility
Author Message
 Perl version compatibility

        My group have several different versions of perl installed in
        several locations. I need to clean this up. I'm fairly new to
        perl, so I'm not aware of what's changed between various 5.x
        releases.

        My question is, are there any major known compatibility issues
        between these versions of perl?

5.004_01
5.005_02
v5.6.0

        I have about 2000 different perl scripts in a huge tools
        library, and they each use one of these three versions. I can't
        get them all tested for compatibility in a reasonable time
        frame, so what I wonder is, what are the odds of a problem
        if I nuke the older versions and turn them into links to
        the newer (v5.6.0)?

        Thanks-

        -Karl

--

"It's a trick. Get an axe." -- Ash, "Army of Darkness"

Sun, 16 Feb 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Perl version compatibility

Quote:
>         My question is, are there any major known compatibility issues
>         between these versions of perl?

in general, you can look at the perldelta man page to find
out what has changed.

--
brian d foy
CGI Meta FAQ <URL:http://www.smithrenaud.com/public/CGI_MetaFAQ.html>

Sun, 16 Feb 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Perl version compatibility

:
:       My group have several different versions of perl installed in
:         several locations. I need to clean this up. I'm fairly new to
:       perl, so I'm not aware of what's changed between various 5.x
:       releases.
:
:         My question is, are there any major known compatibility issues
:         between these versions of perl?
:
: 5.004_01
: 5.005_02
: v5.6.0

Each version's documentation includes a perldelta.pod, which describes
what changes were made in each release.

Major perl version usually aren't binary-compatible with each other,
which means that XS-based modules compiled for one version won't work
with perl binaries of different versions.

Mon, 17 Feb 2003 05:48:42 GMT
 Perl version compatibility

Quote:

>:
>:      My group have several different versions of perl installed in
>:         several locations. I need to clean this up. I'm fairly new to
>:      perl, so I'm not aware of what's changed between various 5.x
>:      releases.
>:
>:         My question is, are there any major known compatibility issues
>:         between these versions of perl?
>:
>: 5.004_01
>: 5.005_02
>: v5.6.0

>Each version's documentation includes a perldelta.pod, which describes
>what changes were made in each release.

>Major perl version usually aren't binary-compatible with each other,
>which means that XS-based modules compiled for one version won't work
>with perl binaries of different versions.

If compiled in the default configuration:

        None of the 5.004 XS modules will run on 5.005 and up
        All  of the 5.005.03 XS modules will run on 5.6.0, 5.6.1 and 5.7.0
          until proven otherwise. (For me they still work: ALL of them,
          even Tk and DBI/DBD)

--
H.Merijn Brand
using perl5.005.03 and 5.6.0 on HP-UX 10.20, HP-UX 11.00, AIX 4.2, AIX 4.3,

Tue, 18 Feb 2003 18:51:26 GMT
 Perl version compatibility

[...]
Quote:
>         My question is, are there any major known compatibility issues
>         between these versions of perl?

[...]

You need to find out if they have installed modules that don't come by
default with Perl (things like TK, DBI, etc.).

If they didn't, have no fear, 5.6 is all you need; it will run all the
scripts written for the older versions, probably better.

If they did, you probably want to recompile/reinstall those with 5.6 before
you get rid of the older versions. This is usually very easy to do.

Of course, you should first make the old versions unavailable, but without
really deleting them. Give you and your users a few weeks to be sure that
everything works within 5.6, then axe the old versions.

glauber

--
Glauber Ribeiro

"Opinions stated are my own and not representative of Experian"

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Tue, 18 Feb 2003 23:13:22 GMT
 Perl version compatibility

|> Of course, you should first make the old versions unavailable, but without
|> really deleting them. Give you and your users a few weeks to be sure that
|> everything works within 5.6, then axe the old versions.

   You've got things a little out of order here.

   You should *first* make the new version available so that maintainers
of scripts using old version may test them first.

   After a suitable time you make the new version the default, while
leaving the older version there to allow for checks.

   After another suitable interval you delete the older versions.

--

This message *may* reflect my personal opinion.  It is *not* intended
to reflect those of my employer, or anyone else.

Wed, 19 Feb 2003 01:46:50 GMT

1. DDE - Delphi and MsWord

2. TDBLookupCombo

3. help a newbie? DB3 format question

4. perl version math compatibility issue

5. Maintaining compatibility throughout several Perl-versions in XS-extentions

6. Sybperl Version 2.0x Compatibility with SQLServer 4.92

7. Perl 4 vs Perl 5 backward compatibility

8. which is better-paradox or dbase?

9. Reading MsAccess Databases??

10. New Version of Delphi?

11. RTM internal loader error 0010 SOLVED!!!

12. BDE can't do OUTER JOIN ?