range operator and regexps
Author Message
 range operator and regexps

I am teaching a course at the moment on which a delegate swears that
he gets variable behaviour (variable between different input & perl
combinations, rather than between applications of the same code to the
same text) from a (/^BEGIN/ .. /^END/) construct, with it sometimes
including nested ^BEGIN/^END pairs, and sometimes not (but always in
pairs apparently).  I think it is slackness with the text and/or the
regexp, but he is convinced not. He has promised to send me an example
of this occurring, but is a bit vague about the details. In the
meantime I thought I would ask here.

I looked it up in the FAQ
(< http://www.*-*-*.com/ #How_can_I_p...>),
and it says to see elsewhere about nesting. I wondered if there could
possibly be any interraction between this and the balanced paren
matching stuff that is recently appeared (when di/does it appear) -
the FAQ doesn't seem to mention that, so I wondered - it's a long shot
Sir, but...

Is there anything (other than his faulty input or faulty perl) that
could be causing this?

Pete

--
Peter Riocreux, Amulet Group, Dept. Computer Science, Manchester University,
Oxford Road, MANCHESTER, M13 9PL, UK.      < http://www.*-*-*.com/ ;

Fri, 15 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Help! configuring Interbase driver

2. Creating text files in TP6

3. range operator w/ while operator

4. First-class regexps with operator overloading

5. "open" range operator

6. Ambiguous range in transliteration operator at

7. Perl range operator

8. Is there a range operator for m///?

9. range operator in reverse?

10. range operator