Delphi language
Author Message
 Delphi language

My company is in the process of picking a new IS development language and we
are looking at delphi and Visual Basic. We are a typical IS shop with many
PC client boxes and a BIG Blue machine downstairs in the ba{*filter*}t. My
question is if we developed out business logic in Delphi and used none of
the Borland enhancements to the language to the language and no objects
could we take the Pascal code and compile it up on the mainframe with little
or no change. I have contacted IBM and they have said that their Pascal
compiler conforms to the ISO-770X3.79 and ISO-7185 level 0 spec.. Does
Borland base language conform to this standard? If not where does it
deviate? In addition, is this a crazy idea or is it a least feasible. Any
help you may be able to give me would be greatly appreciated.

                                               Thanks,
                                               Jim Grindstaff
                                               JB Hunt Transport, INC.

Sat, 12 Dec 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Delphi language

Quote:
>My company is in the process of picking a new IS development language and we
>are looking at Delphi and Visual Basic. We are a typical IS shop with many
>PC client boxes and a BIG Blue machine downstairs in the ba{*filter*}t. My
>question is if we developed out business logic in Delphi and used none of
>the Borland enhancements to the language to the language and no objects
>could we take the pascal code and compile it up on the mainframe with little
>or no change. I have contacted IBM and they have said that their Pascal
>compiler conforms to the ISO-770X3.79 and ISO-7185 level 0 spec.. Does
>Borland base language conform to this standard? If not where does it
>deviate? In addition, is this a crazy idea or is it a least feasible. Any
>help you may be able to give me would be greatly appreciated.

>                                               Thanks,
>                                               Jim Grindstaff
>                                               JB Hunt Transport, INC.

Right off I'd ask why use Delphi, which is mainly for Windows programming for
PCs, if all you're going to do is write generic Pascal routines?  Like buying
a Ferrari and only using it to go grocery shopping.

--
BCNU
Daniel J. Wojcik

                    Lots of neat-o features!
                    ftp://147.35.241.5/pub/www/termite.zip

Sat, 12 Dec 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. Delphi Language Drivers

2. language support in Delphi

3. Delphi 4 + MTS + Access from other languages

4. Delphi As a 2nd Language?

5. INFORMIX and Multi Language with DELPHI

6. Table Language and Secondary Index in Delphi 4 (BDE 5.01)

7. Manual install of Delphi 2.0 Language Pack?

8. BARCODE and send CONTROL CHARACTERS to my printer by DELPHI or Pascal Language

9. OLE speed (Delphi, VB, or other languages)

10. How is Delphi Database better than other languages?

11. Q: Sorting paradoxtable with foreign language using Delphi 1

12. HELP!!! Delphi, help me to find language driver