How would I take my 16bit prot mode app and convert it to 32bit prot mode ?
Author Message
 How would I take my 16bit prot mode app and convert it to 32bit prot mode ?

I have a very large application probably around 20k lines of my code and
the rest is 3rd party.

The program was compiled using borland Pascal 7.01 for dos 16 bit
protected mode.
This program runs in 640x480.
It uses Metagraphics Metawindow 386/version 5.0 for pascal.
It uses Turbopowers Async pro 2.03 (originally 2.00)
It uses EzDPMI to make a few function calls that have to be done in real
mode from protected mode.
All of this 3rd party stuff is around 5 to 6 years old.

I know one thing I would need to probably use DX, but I rather have
someway of being able to route all the Metawindow's graphics calls to DX
without me having to change every point in the application, if I change
the behavior or a certain routine I'll introduce newer bugs.  This is a
16bit proteced mode application.  Then I have the problem of Async pro
lucky I don't do much with it.  I use it to open a comport, then I use
getchar, putchar, nothing fancy to read/write to the comport, course it
gives me status errors which is important.  But the graphics stuff would
need to be done first as the program can run without using a comport,
the comport stuff could be added in later. I know there are 32bit pascal
compilers out there for windows.

So basically I want to take code and change little of the code as
possible to make it run as a native win32 application and still look and
run the same.

Sat, 05 Jul 2003 08:27:28 GMT
 How would I take my 16bit prot mode app and convert it to 32bit prot mode ?

Quote:

>I have a very large application probably around 20k lines of my code and
>the rest is 3rd party.

>The program was compiled using borland pascal 7.01 for dos 16 bit
>protected mode.

That it is 16-bit clean might help, but in general it is hard to say without
actual code.

Quote:
>This program runs in 640x480.
>It uses Metagraphics Metawindow 386/version 5.0 for pascal.

I don't know this one.

Quote:
>It uses Turbopowers Async pro 2.03 (originally 2.00)

There are some units in FPC to workaround this.

Quote:
>It uses EzDPMI to make a few function calls that have to be done in real
>mode from protected mode.

A DPMI unit is also available. EzDPMI might not be portable. (286 vs 386
DPMI)

Quote:
>All of this 3rd party stuff is around 5 to 6 years old.

>I know one thing I would need to probably use DX, but I rather have
>someway of being able to route all the Metawindow's graphics calls to DX
>without me having to change every point in the application, if I change
>the behavior or a certain routine I'll introduce newer bugs.

Try GraphiX/FPC (http://www.graphix4pascal.de.vu/) or the native win32 Graph
unit. (the latter is slower, but BP compatible)

Due to Win32 architectural issues, afaik console applications can't do
graphics without switching from fullscreen-text to GUI mode.

Quote:
> This is a
>16bit proteced mode application.  Then I have the problem of Async pro
>lucky I don't do much with it.  I use it to open a comport, then I use
>getchar, putchar, nothing fancy to read/write to the comport, course it
>gives me status errors which is important.  But the graphics stuff would
>need to be done first as the program can run without using a comport,
>the comport stuff could be added in later. I know there are 32bit pascal
>compilers out there for windows.
>So basically I want to take code and change little of the code as
>possible to make it run as a native win32 application and still look and
>run the same.

Sun, 06 Jul 2003 19:59:41 GMT

1. I need to convert dos prot mode app to 32bit using directX

2. I need to convert dos prot mode app to 32bit using directX

3. EXEC and Prot. mode

4. Prot mode ptr need a touch?

5. Phy addr from prot mode ptr

6. INTERBASE: CONNECTIN 32BIT-INTERBASE FROM 16BIT DELPI-APP ?

7. Q: how to open a password prot paradox table

8. Runtime error 200 with 16bit protected mode

9. 15, 16, 24, 32bit RGB-Modes in BP 7.0

10. 16bit -->32bit conversion problem

11. 32Bit Delphi slower with Oracle than 16Bit version?!?!

12. 16bit -->32bit conversion problem