compiler Validation suites
Author Message
 compiler Validation suites

Hi,

Has any one used the GNU Pascal compiler Test suite and/or GNU Modula
2 compiler Test?
If Yes, How good are the test suites w.r.t the different kinds of
tests for compiler validation i.e Conformance test, Deviance
test,Quality test ...etc.

Also Can someone tell me whether the GNU Pascal compiler test suite
can be cnverted to a GNU Modula 2 compiler test suite. If Yes , how
easily can it be done??

Thanks
Ed

Fri, 09 Dec 2005 11:19:27 GMT
 compiler Validation suites

Quote:
>Has any one used the GNU Pascal compiler Test suite and/or GNU Modula
>2 compiler Test?
>If Yes, How good are the test suites w.r.t the different kinds of
>tests for compiler validation i.e Conformance test, Deviance
>test,Quality test ...etc.

I doubt that the gpc Test suite will do what you want.  Are you aware of
http://www.prosperosoftware.com/pvs.html
--
Martin Liddle, Tynemouth Computer Services, 27 Garforth Close,
Cramlington, Northumberland, England, NE23 6EW.

Sun, 18 Dec 2005 12:41:52 GMT
 compiler Validation suites

Quote:

> Has any one used the GNU Pascal compiler Test suite

We (the GPC developers and some of the users) use it regularly for
regression testing.

Quote:
> If Yes, How good are the test suites w.r.t the different kinds of
> tests for compiler validation i.e Conformance test, Deviance
> test,Quality test ...etc.

It's mostly conformance and deviance tests, few quality tests --
some specific optimizations are tested, but no extensive
benchmarking or such.

Quote:
> Also Can someone tell me whether the GNU Pascal compiler test suite
> can be cnverted to a GNU Modula 2 compiler test suite.

I doubt it. GPC supports a mixture of various standards and dialects
plus its own extensions, and the tests for them are quite mixed up.
(Someone proposed to sort them in categories, but nobody is really
interested in doing this boring job -- sorting several thousands of
tests, many of them hardly documented, is not much fun.)

You'd have to select the tests of the closest Pascal standard
(Extended Pascal perhaps) by looking at each test, but still there
are significant differences to Modula 2.

However, if you mean the test framework (which is rather easy), this
should be possible if it fits your needs. (You can read about the
details at <http://gnu-pascal.org/gpc/Reporting-Bugs.html>.) If
you're interested, you might want to contact me privately, since I'm
the main author of the framework.

Frank

--

GnuPG and PGP keys:         http://fjf.gnu.de/plan (7977168E)
Pascal code, BP CRT bugfix: http://fjf.gnu.de/programs.html

Sun, 18 Dec 2005 12:40:49 GMT

1. corel suite breaks Delphi BDE

2. ANN: SMExport suite 3.60 for Delphi/C++Builder

3. ANN: SMExport suite 3.50

4. Delphi 5 BDE problem with Corel Suite

5. ReportPrinter Component Suite 1.1 Released

6. Borland Pascal With Objects Programming Suite

7. Borland Pascal With Objects Programming Suite

8. PASCAL test suites?

9. Delphi translation suite

10. PRESS: BORLAND ANNOUNCES NEW DELPHI CLIENT/SERVER SUITE 2.0

11. Developer vs C/S Suite