FPC and DDE in Win32 env
Author Message
 FPC and DDE in Win32 env

Please explain!
Ok, i'm using FPC to write CGI applications for use on Microsoft
Internet Information Server and I wish to connect to an external
application (MS Access) and initiate DDE transfers. This way I can push
the data directly into my database application Live. The only problem is
that I have no experience with programming in windows.
Is this a windows question or an FPC question? probably a bit of both.

I have downloaded some CGI units, thanks to Jonas Maebe for the link.
But I don't like my chances of locating anything on DDE transfers.

Sat, 10 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 FPC and DDE in Win32 env

Quote:
> Ok, i'm using FPC to write CGI applications for use on Microsoft
> Internet Information Server and I wish to connect to an external
> application (MS Access) and initiate DDE transfers. This way I can push
> the data directly into my database application Live. The only problem is
> that I have no experience with programming in windows.
> Is this a windows question or an FPC question? probably a bit of both.

I vote for windows question :-) I don't even know what DDE is, probably
something proprietary between MIIS and MSA of MSO in general.

Could you elaborate on what you are trying to accomplish, and how old
this technique is? (if it is standard win9x, then it is probably in the
win32 techdocs on the Inprise site (www.inprise.com/pub/techpubs/delphi/
and deeper).

If it is something newer (e.g. a part of iSSE/IE), you'll have to dig up
your own info.

I tried to download newer techstuff from Microsoft, but it explicitely
wants to be installed over update, which requires both IE (which I
deleted from Win98), and to be installed over MSIE update (so that I
have to push 200 MB over my modem line, instead of downloading and
burning at the university, anybody a solution for that?)

--

Pascal page on www.stack.nl/~marcov/xtdfpc.htm
Fortuneclone (written in Pascal with humor archive ) on

Sat, 10 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 FPC and DDE in Win32 env

Quote:

> > Ok, i'm using FPC to write CGI applications for use on Microsoft
> > Internet Information Server and I wish to connect to an external
> > application (MS Access) and initiate DDE transfers. This way I can push
> > the data directly into my database application Live. The only problem is
> > that I have no experience with programming in windows.
> > Is this a windows question or an FPC question? probably a bit of both.

> I vote for windows question :-) I don't even know what DDE is, probably
> something proprietary between MIIS and MSA of MSO in general.

> Could you elaborate on what you are trying to accomplish, and how old
> this technique is? (if it is standard win9x, then it is probably in the
> win32 techdocs on the Inprise site (www.inprise.com/pub/techpubs/delphi/
> and deeper).

> If it is something newer (e.g. a part of iSSE/IE), you'll have to dig up
> your own info.

> I tried to download newer techstuff from Microsoft, but it explicitely
> wants to be installed over update, which requires both IE (which I
> deleted from Win98), and to be installed over MSIE update (so that I
> have to push 200 MB over my modem line, instead of downloading and
> burning at the university, anybody a solution for that?)

DDE is Dynamic Data Exchange and it is proprietary to Windows although it has
been around for quite some time.

In MS Access I will have a transaction processing system that sends orders to
the appropriate suppliers, validate credit card numbers etc. The CGI
application that I am writing in FPC needs to initiate a DDE with Access so
that it can pop the data into the database and then call the appropriate
Visual Basic Macro to process the new information.

Sun, 11 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 FPC and DDE in Win32 env

Quote:
>DDE is Dynamic Data Exchange and it is proprietary to Windows although it has
>been around for quite some time.

Sorry new for me. I think the best way is to subscibe to fpc-pascal maillist
(link on freepascal site). Some more advanced win32 programmers are
subscibed to it.

Sun, 11 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. FPC Win32 memory mapped files for IPC

2. FPC Win32 memory mapped files for IPC

3. fpc postgres.pp & win32

4. fpc & postgres under win32

5. FPC for Win32

6. no graph unit in FPC win32?

7. FPC: Documentation on Win32 units?

8. FPC:problem with printing from fpc programs

9. FPC: translate execvp from c to FPC

10. Help: RHIDE with FreePascal (in W32 env.)

11. Linux Env

12. PATH ENV Var and Access DBs in Delphi?