Trying to Learn Pascal
Author Message
 Trying to Learn Pascal

I am currently trying to learn Pascal as part of another course I am doing.
Has anyone some spare time to give me a hand ?

I have copied a very small program (attached) out of my training manual and
can't get it to compile.

I keep getting Indentifier not found READIN and Indentifier not found
WRITEIN. I would really appreciate anyone telling me where I am going wrong.

Many Thanks

Julie

begin 666 test.pp

`
end

Sun, 02 Mar 2003 03:20:22 GMT
 Trying to Learn Pascal

Quote:

> I am currently trying to learn Pascal as part of another course I am doing.
> Has anyone some spare time to give me a hand ?

> I have copied a very small program (attached) out of my training manual and
> can't get it to compile.

> I keep getting Indentifier not found READIN and Indentifier not found
> WRITEIN. I would really appreciate anyone telling me where I am going wrong.

> Many Thanks

> Julie

>               Name: test.pp
>    test.pp    Type: unspecified type (application/octet-stream)
>           Encoding: x-uuencode
> program DateCheck2;

> var
>    Day, Year: integer;

> begin
>    repeat
>       write('Enter date - DDD YYYY  ');
>       readIn(Day, Year);
>    until (Day >= 1) and (Day <= 366) and
>          (Year >=1900);
>    writeIn('Date is valid')
> end.

Hi

I don't know about other pascals but with borland pascal its read not
reading and its writeLn not writeIn. WriteLn is short for write line. If
you don't want a carriage return use write (stuff);

Regards Hanford

Sun, 02 Mar 2003 03:39:40 GMT
 Trying to Learn Pascal

Quote:

>I keep getting Indentifier not found READIN and Indentifier not found
>WRITEIN. I would really appreciate anyone telling me where I am going wrong.

They are actually ReadLn and WriteLn - replace the I with L
--
Pedt Scragg     http://signpost-design.co.uk/   ODP Editor: http://dmoz.org/

"If you don't need a lot of space/bandwidth then why are you paying for it" ?

Sun, 02 Mar 2003 03:58:26 GMT
 Trying to Learn Pascal
Thanks All - got it sorted out now. My documentation was unclear.

Thanks Again

Julie

Quote:

> > I am currently trying to learn Pascal as part of another course I am
doing.
> > Has anyone some spare time to give me a hand ?

> > I have copied a very small program (attached) out of my training manual
and
> > can't get it to compile.

> > I keep getting Indentifier not found READIN and Indentifier not found
> > WRITEIN. I would really appreciate anyone telling me where I am going
wrong.

> > Many Thanks

> > Julie

> >               Name: test.pp
> >    test.pp    Type: unspecified type (application/octet-stream)
> >           Encoding: x-uuencode
> > program DateCheck2;

> > var
> >    Day, Year: integer;

> > begin
> >    repeat
> >       write('Enter date - DDD YYYY  ');
> >       readIn(Day, Year);
> >    until (Day >= 1) and (Day <= 366) and
> >          (Year >=1900);
> >    writeIn('Date is valid')
> > end.

> Hi

> I don't know about other pascals but with borland pascal its read not
> reading and its writeLn not writeIn. WriteLn is short for write line. If
> you don't want a carriage return use write (stuff);

> Regards Hanford

Sun, 02 Mar 2003 05:14:23 GMT
 Trying to Learn Pascal

RE: Trying to Learn Pascal

Quote:

>I am currently trying to learn Pascal as part of another course I am doing.
>Has anyone some spare time to give me a hand ?
>I have copied a very small program (attached) out of my training manual and
>can't get it to compile.
>I keep getting Indentifier not found READIN and Indentifier not found
>WRITEIN. I would really appreciate anyone telling me where I am going wrong.
>Many Thanks
>Julie

     Apparently, you and I are about the same age.  We both require
spectacules. ;=)

     Rather than using READIN use READLN.
     Rather than using WRITEIN use WRITELN.

Art Johnston

    (714) 903-9920 -* Westminster, California*-

Sun, 02 Mar 2003 12:10:36 GMT
 Trying to Learn Pascal

Quote:

>I am currently trying to learn Pascal as part of another course I am doing.
>Has anyone some spare time to give me a hand ?

which compiler you are using.  That would not usually be necessary in

Pascal (see Timo Salmi's regular article).

As general advice : download and study the mFAQ & FAQ cited below; part-
applicable to all Pascals & Delphi, but written for Borland's Pascal.

By the way, attachments are not welcome in News; some cannot read them,
and some may fear virus delivery thereby; put your code inline instead.

Sun, 02 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Trying to Learn Pascal
it's writeln

as in L, not I

--
"Easy is it not, to talk forward, when hand up your ass there is."
Yoda

Quote:
> I am currently trying to learn Pascal as part of another course I am
doing.
> Has anyone some spare time to give me a hand ?

> I have copied a very small program (attached) out of my training manual
and
> can't get it to compile.

> I keep getting Indentifier not found READIN and Indentifier not found
> WRITEIN. I would really appreciate anyone telling me where I am going
wrong.

> Many Thanks

> Julie

Tue, 04 Mar 2003 07:20:07 GMT
 Trying to Learn Pascal
It's probably supposed to be read (or readln...  been about 3 years
since I've touched Pascal) and writeln

On Tue, 12 Sep 2000 20:20:22 +0100, "julie.haycraft"

Quote:

>I am currently trying to learn Pascal as part of another course I am doing.
>Has anyone some spare time to give me a hand ?

>I have copied a very small program (attached) out of my training manual and
>can't get it to compile.

>I keep getting Indentifier not found READIN and Indentifier not found
>WRITEIN. I would really appreciate anyone telling me where I am going wrong.

>Many Thanks

>Julie

Fri, 23 May 2003 03:00:00 GMT

1. Just trying to learn Pascal

2. I'm trying to learn Pascal, can you advise me on ...

3. pascal help, can anyone help me to learn pascal

4. Learning Pascal

5. Which Pascal compiler for learning?

6. Learn/Reference for Turbo Pascal 5.5

7. Recommended books for a learning Pascal

8. Learn Pascal

9. learning pascal

10. Pascal: Should I learn it?

11. Learn Pascal first?