What's new in Delphi-2 ?
Author Message
 What's new in Delphi-2 ?

Hello,

Who knows, what's really new in Delphi-2 ? The 'What's new?' help topic is
the same as in Delphi-1. I've spent some time with these helps and
discovered some interesting things:

(1) Dynamically allocated very-very-long-strings.

(2) Variants, arrays of variants and related functions VarXXX. Both long
strings and variants use concepts of construction/destruction from C++.

(3) Integers and Cardinals are 32-bit, but there is no 64-bit integer (?).

(4) Threads: extremely poor help and even wrong references. F.ex., if you
click on BeginThread or EndThread to understand what they do, you get VCL
Addendum help page... Also, there is something called 'threadvar', but
again, Help doesn't want to explain us what is this.

What else? (For me that's enough: every new surprise from Borland is like
playing a new DOOM level...:)

Thanks,
Hovik Melikian

Sun, 13 Dec 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 What's new in Delphi-2 ?

Quote:

> Hello,

> Who knows, what's really new in Delphi-2 ? The 'What's new?' help topic is
> the same as in Delphi-1. I've spent some time with these helps and
> discovered some interesting things:

> (1) Dynamically allocated very-very-long-strings.

> (2) Variants, arrays of variants and related functions VarXXX. Both long
> strings and variants use concepts of construction/destruction from C++.

> (3) Integers and Cardinals are 32-bit, but there is no 64-bit integer (?).

> (4) Threads: extremely poor help and even wrong references. F.ex., if you
> click on BeginThread or EndThread to understand what they do, you get VCL
> Addendum help page... Also, there is something called 'threadvar', but
> again, Help doesn't want to explain us what is this.

> What else? (For me that's enough: every new surprise from Borland is like
> playing a new DOOM level...:)

> Thanks,
> Hovik Melikian

Item 4 - fixed help files are available for download from borland at
http://www.borland.com/
--
-------------------

-------------------
Help is always just around the Corner.
!!! Always !!!

Sun, 13 Dec 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 What's new in Delphi-2 ?

Quote:

> Hello,

> Who knows, what's really new in Delphi-2 ? The 'What's new?' help topic is
> the same as in Delphi-1. I've spent some time with these helps and
> discovered some interesting things:

> (1) Dynamically allocated very-very-long-strings.

> (2) Variants, arrays of variants and related functions VarXXX. Both long
> strings and variants use concepts of construction/destruction from C++.

> (3) Integers and Cardinals are 32-bit, but there is no 64-bit integer (?).

> (4) Threads: extremely poor help and even wrong references. F.ex., if you
> click on BeginThread or EndThread to understand what they do, you get VCL
> Addendum help page... Also, there is something called 'threadvar', but
> again, Help doesn't want to explain us what is this.

> What else? (For me that's enough: every new surprise from Borland is like
> playing a new DOOM level...:)

> Thanks,
> Hovik Melikian

There is a document called D32NOTE.DOC in the \INFO\BORLAND directory of the
Delphi 2 CD which discusses the differences between Delphi 2 and 1.
--

        -Steve Teixeira

Mon, 14 Dec 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. Adding new user id and passwords to Access db's from Delphi

2. Program's don't work on new PC

3. Delphi...Delphi....Delphi - New Delphi Site

4. Clarification: on ChimneySweep's new handling of memo-field repairs

5. New WWW URL - Boris Ingram's Home Page

6. CLPB Mini-FAQ V1.39 - Essential Reading if you are new to this newsgroup

7. I'm new to pascal!!!

8. CLPB Mini-FAQ V1.39 - Essential Reading if you are new to this newsgroup

9. CLPB Mini-FAQ V1.39 - essential Reading if you are new to this newsgroup

10. I'm New HELp ME

11. BDE Alias's and new installs of the BDE

12. New BDE doesn't install correct native driver for Access97