Best of GNU-PAscal, FreePAscal, VPascal???
Author Message
 Best of GNU-PAscal, FreePAscal, VPascal???

Hi There,

I'm interested in writing some small Windows based applications using
Pascal.

As the subject says which of the following would be best suited?

* Gnu-Pascal,
* FreePascal, and
* VPascal.

Also are units created for one able to be used with the others?

Does anyone know of example windows programs with source available that can
be compiled with any of ther above?

Thanks,

Ray Smith

Thu, 13 Mar 2003 13:02:26 GMT
 Best of GNU-PAscal, FreePAscal, VPascal???

Quote:

> I'm interested in writing some small Windows based applications using
> Pascal.

> As the subject says which of the following would be best suited?

> * Gnu-Pascal,
> * FreePascal, and
> * VPascal.

I would say: try for yourself, that's the only way to find out which
one you like best. As I'm a FreePascal programmer and as I've never
really used any of the two others, I can only say that FPC won't stop
you from creating Windows programs, as it available for Dos, Win32
Linux and OS/2.

Quote:
> Also are units created for one able to be used with the others?

No. GNU Pascal supports ANSI standard and extended Pascal and the Turbo
Pascal dialect. They are afaik working on Delphi compatibility though.
As an IDE you can use RHIde, which is somewhat similar to TP's IDE, but
it works only with projects.

FPC supports the Turbo Pascal and Delphi dialects (most of Delphi
anyway, somethings added in later versions like variants are still in
development). In addition it supports some extra things like
function/procedure/operator overloading. FPC also has a TP-like IDE,
but it's still beta (although quite usable).

Virtual Pascal also supports TP and Delphi (2) syntax. I don't know
about extra's. It has it's own text mode IDE for Win32 (I don't know
whether it's TP-like) which, according to Virtual Pascal's website, is
very mature.

In general, if you write your code TP-compatible, it will work with all
compilers. Delphi-style code should work with most as well.

Quote:
> Does anyone know of example windows programs with source available that can
> be compiled with any of ther above?

FPC comes with a winhello example program, but it's *very* simple. To
do any serious windows programming with any of the above compilers, you
will need the win32 API help file from Microsoft which you can download
from <ftp://ftp.inprise.com/pub/delphi/techpubs/delphi2/win32.zip>.
Note that it's huge.

Jonas

Sun, 16 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT

1. Freepascal vs GNU-Pascal

2. Turbo Pascal to GNU Pascal

3. VPascal free

4. VPascal free

5. GNU Pascal 2.1 released

6. Full-featured debugger, and pretty-printer, for GNU Pascal (gpc)

7. intalling gnu pascal - help

8. GNU Pascal 2.1 released

9. GNU pascal binaries for Windows

10. Looking for GNU Pascal consultant

11. forcing Gnu Pascal to write to a file, not buffer

12. linker problem in gnu pascal