spirals
Author Message
 spirals

Does anybody know the calculation for drawing a spiral?

and or

The calculation for drawing a double helix?

Thanks Russ

(FLIBBLE-NIBLICK)

Tue, 22 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 spirals

Quote:

> Does anybody know the calculation for drawing a spiral?

> and or

> The calculation for drawing a double helix?

     Sure.  What kind of spiral?  The key to doing this is to use polar
(or cylindrical, for the
helix) coordinates and to make the coordinates themselves a function of,
say, t.  The double helix is almost trivial -- the radius stays constant
(independent of t), while the angle
and z component are both proportional to t.  Start the two spirals on
opposite ends of the
circle (by giving one angle an offset of 180 deg).  By varying the ratio
of the proportionality constants between angle and Z, you'll get a
"tighter" or "looser" double
helix.
     The spiral simply relaxes the requirement that the radius is
constant.  It also becomes
a function (up to you to decide WHAT function) of t.

Bob Schor
Pascal Enthusiast

Tue, 22 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 spirals

Quote:

> Does anybody know the calculation for drawing a spiral?

> and or

> The calculation for drawing a double helix?

     Sure.  What kind of spiral?  The key to doing this is to use polar
(or cylindrical, for the
helix) coordinates and to make the coordinates themselves a function of,
say, t.  The double helix is almost trivial -- the radius stays constant
(independent of t), while the angle
and z component are both proportional to t.  Start the two spirals on
opposite ends of the
circle (by giving one angle an offset of 180 deg).  By varying the ratio
of the proportionality constants between angle and Z, you'll get a
"tighter" or "looser" double
helix.
     The spiral simply relaxes the requirement that the radius is
constant.  It also becomes
a function (up to you to decide WHAT function) of t.

Bob Schor
Pascal Enthusiast

Tue, 22 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 spirals
I apologize for my dual replies.  We were having a problem with our SMTP
server, and I
re-sent, assuming the first post had been lost ...

Wed, 23 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 spirals

Quote:
> I apologize for my dual replies.  We were having a problem with our
SMTP
> server, and I
> re-sent, assuming the first post had been lost ...

Bob, we all make mistakes.  If this is your first, welcome to the club!

:-)

Walt.

--
SPAM BLOCKING IN EFFECT: Only those in my address book can send me mail.

<California IS the promised land.  That's why so many people live here.>

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Thu, 24 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Spirals

2. Spiral movement