Exec file, no command.com required?
Author Message
 Exec file, no command.com required?

Hello,

Is there a way to execute a file without using the COMMAND.COM ?

Thanks :-)

=-[ Sander ]=-

Fri, 29 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Exec file, no command.com required?

:Is there a way to execute a file without using the COMMAND.COM ?

Let's take this route. Why not use it? Is there a particular reason?

   All the best, Timo

Moderating at ftp:// & http://garbo.uwasa.fi/ archives 193.166.120.5

Spam foiling in effect.  My email filter autoresponder will return a
required email password to users not yet in the privileges database.

Fri, 29 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Exec file, no command.com required?

[-+|ReD927|+-] schrieb:

Quote:
> Hello,
> Is there a way to execute a file without using the COMMAND.COM ?
> Thanks :-)
> =-[ Sander ]=-

If you enter the full d:\path\filename.ext it works without command.com
very well. I remember that on older TP or DOS versions the characters
must be uppercase. Exec does not search the path or anything else
automatically, yet there are procedures which you can use.

Of course you cannot COPY or DIR or anything else which is part of
command.com.

I made a program many years ago simply to retrieve the ERRORLEVEL of
various application programs.

Of course you have to concern all the memory and other points in your
program as usual with Exec.

http://www.geocities.com/~franzglaser/tp.html

Regards,
Franz Glaser
http://members.eunet.at/meg-glaser

Fri, 29 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Exec file, no command.com required?

Quote:

>Is there a way to execute a file without using the COMMAND.COM ?

Provided you specify the drive, path, filename and extension in the call
to EXEC then you can call any program directly.

eg exec('c:\dos\chkdsk.exe,' ');

You must remember about limiting memory using the $M directive and note
that the exec procedure does not search the path.

You can't use DOS commands such as DIR or COPY *unless* you run
COMMAND.COM

--

Never curse the Crocodile's mother before crossing the river

Fri, 29 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Exec file, no command.com required?

Quote:

> Is there a way to execute a file without using the COMMAND.COM ?

yes; you need to search the PATH environment variable yourself to
find out where exactly the program is, though, before you can call
exec() with it -- COMMAND.COM does that for you.
--

Sat, 30 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Exec file, no command.com required?

Quote:
> If you enter the full d:\path\filename.ext it works without
> command.com very well. I remember that on older TP or DOS
> versions the characters must be uppercase.

wow, that must be very old.  I never have that problem in TP4
(which I use except when I need the link-on-disk option for
big programs from TP6).
--

Sun, 01 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Exec file, no command.com required?

2. Exec win.com from windows program in DOS

3. Pascal Exec command in Windows XP Environment

4. Turbo Pascal 7 Exec Command Trouble

5. exec command whit FPK Pascal

6. the exec command

7. Sending long Command lines to Exec

8. How to exec system commands

9. Help: Exec command with TPW 1.5

10. equivalant exec command in BP for BPW

11. Exec command v. Debugger

12. Exec Command problem