SDL on freepascal
Author Message
 SDL on freepascal

I've played around a little with the SDL headers found at

http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~dmoisset/sdl4fp/english.html

And things seem to work well on the Win32 version of FPC (yet to test
this on Linux), at least for the demo's and variations thereof.

Just wondering if there is a community of sorts for this.  FreePascal
seems to support a number of third party graphics libraries, it's
difficult to evaluate what the best bet (for say, a  few simple 2D
games or demos) would be.

Perhaps I should go focus on jedi-sdl, i do have delphi after all
(though it should work with fpc), the download at sourceforge is 16mb,
but essential headers and other bits are less.

There is a group for that:   http://www.*-*-*.com/

I think i've answered my own question!  Still, i'd just like to raise
the profile of freepascal as a viable tool for writing portable
multimedia applications like games.  Any one know of any examples that
showcase freepascal in this area?

Mon, 29 Aug 2005 16:50:09 GMT
 SDL on freepascal

Quote:

> I've played around a little with the SDL headers found at

> http://www.grulic.org.ar/~dmoisset/sdl4fp/english.html

> And things seem to work well on the Win32 version of FPC (yet to test
> this on Linux), at least for the demo's and variations thereof.

> Just wondering if there is a community of sorts for this.  Freepascal
> seems to support a number of third party graphics libraries, it's
> difficult to evaluate what the best bet (for say, a  few simple 2D
> games or demos) would be.

> Perhaps I should go focus on jedi-sdl, i do have delphi after all
> (though it should work with fpc), the download at sourceforge is 16mb,
> but essential headers and other bits are less.

Only focus that if you only intend to develop for win32. Kylix might also
work, but though very beautiful, it is a bit limited in the OSes and
distributions it accepts.

> I think i've answered my own question!

Compiler SDL with FPC ?

Quote:
> Still, i'd just like to raise the profile of freepascal as a viable tool
> for writing portable multimedia applications like games.  Any one know of
> any examples that showcase freepascal in this area?

Games are not necessarily multimedia, look at the ones included with FPC
(which use plain and simple graph btw)

Keep in mind that nearly all Delphi stuff that is not really visual
components dependant can be made to work under FPC. Examples incluis.

Mon, 29 Aug 2005 23:23:21 GMT

1. TP4 vs FreePascal

2. File processing, locking with gpc and FreePascal

3. FreePascal and handheld terminals

4. FreePascal (FPC) and RHIDE

5. FreePascal unit for SMTP?

6. Do we discuss FreePascal or Turbo Pascal(Empty Inside)

7. wincrt and freepascal

8. GUI with freepascal

9. reading binary with freepascal

10. Can FreePascal generate flat binary files?

11. IDEA unit in FreePascal?

12. Freepascal 1.08 when?