pointers & files
Author Message
 pointers & files

When I restart my computer and run my programme, all the records I load
are full of garbage.  It doesn't happen if I rebuild my records, save,
and start again...just on startup.

I'm using pointers and a linked list of records.  Any ideas?

ta.

Mon, 24 Mar 2003 10:51:46 GMT
 pointers & files
In your program, do you build the linked list and put records into it?  You
really need to do this, as the data isn't (likely) to be present if you
re-run the program (since the links simply point to memory locations, but
don't, themselves, specify what data is present in those locations -- you
have to "fill in the blanks" at run time).

Bob Schor
Pascal Enthusiast

Quote:

> When I restart my computer and run my programme, all the records I load
> are full of garbage.  It doesn't happen if I rebuild my records, save,
> and start again...just on startup.

> I'm using pointers and a linked list of records.  Any ideas?

> ta.

Mon, 24 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 pointers & files
cheers. thanks very much, i was just starting to wonder something a little bit
like that.  i think i know what to do next.
Quote:

> In your program, do you build the linked list and put records into it?  You
> really need to do this, as the data isn't (likely) to be present if you
> re-run the program (since the links simply point to memory locations, but
> don't, themselves, specify what data is present in those locations -- you
> have to "fill in the blanks" at run time).

> Bob Schor
> Pascal Enthusiast

> > When I restart my computer and run my programme, all the records I load
> > are full of garbage.  It doesn't happen if I rebuild my records, save,
> > and start again...just on startup.

> > I'm using pointers and a linked list of records.  Any ideas?

> > ta.

Mon, 24 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT

1. POINTERS & FILES

2. pointers, pointers, pointers...

3. Pointers Pointers Pointers

4. Pointers & internal assembler

5. Pointers & Linked Lists

6. units & passing pointer values

7. Pointers, Linked Lists, & Binary Trees

8. Pointers & Arrays - fulgore.txt [1/2]

9. #&%*$&*EDbEngineError#&%*$&*

10. Moving a pointer to the end of a record file

11. File Of Pointers ?

12. Writing Record with Pointers to a file ...