OPRO ported to FPC?
Author Message
 OPRO ported to FPC?

Has someone ported TurboPower Object Professional 1.30 to FreePascal, and
eventually posted at patch set for this somewhere which can be applied to
the original OPRO files?

Ola

Thu, 03 Nov 2005 21:20:17 GMT
 OPRO ported to FPC?

Quote:

> Has someone ported TurboPower Object Professional 1.30 to FreePascal,
> and eventually posted at patch set for this somewhere which can be
> applied to the original OPRO files?

I hadn't heard anything about that, but did see a note on
comp.lang.pascal.borland, that TurboPower is planning to release OPRO as
open source on SourceForge.  If that happens, I certainly plan to make an
effort at porting it to FPC and Linux.

Mon, 07 Nov 2005 11:04:13 GMT
 OPRO ported to FPC?
That might have been my note. :-)

I've emailed the people of that project and that's what they said.  it's
just a question of time now, not a question of if they're putting it on
sourceforge.

they have issues right now that they are addressing, once these are done, to
sourcecforge they go.

Stephane Richard
Software Developer

Quote:

> > Has someone ported TurboPower Object Professional 1.30 to FreePascal,
> > and eventually posted at patch set for this somewhere which can be
> > applied to the original OPRO files?

> I hadn't heard anything about that, but did see a note on
> comp.lang.pascal.borland, that TurboPower is planning to release OPRO as
> open source on SourceForge.  If that happens, I certainly plan to make an
> effort at porting it to FPC and Linux.

Mon, 07 Nov 2005 17:38:17 GMT
 OPRO ported to FPC?

Quote:
> That might have been my note. :-)

> I've emailed the people of that project and that's what they said.
> it's just a question of time now, not a question of if they're putting
> it on sourceforge.

That is great news! Last I heard of this was that non of the DOS products,
except from B-Tree Filer, was ever going to be released as free.

Then I also hope the OPRO 1.30 documentation will be posted as PDF, since I
never bought the updated docs released since my 1.0 manuals...

BTW, do you know if Async Prof and Turbo Analyst also will be released?

Ola

Mon, 07 Nov 2005 21:40:58 GMT
 OPRO ported to FPC?
Yup, it should since my research on sourceforge returned those projects as
well as the Turbo Objects professional.

They are in seperate projects so dont be dissapointed if you dont see it all
on the first related sourceforge website you come across...If I remember my
research on sourceforge yielded 3 results hence 3 projects.

Stephane Richard
Software Developer

Quote:

> > That might have been my note. :-)

> > I've emailed the people of that project and that's what they said.
> > it's just a question of time now, not a question of if they're putting
> > it on sourceforge.

> That is great news! Last I heard of this was that non of the DOS products,
> except from B-Tree Filer, was ever going to be released as free.

> Then I also hope the OPRO 1.30 documentation will be posted as PDF, since
> never bought the updated docs released since my 1.0 manuals...

> BTW, do you know if Async Prof and Turbo Analyst also will be released?

> Ola

Mon, 07 Nov 2005 21:59:06 GMT
 OPRO ported to FPC?

Quote:

> > That might have been my note. :-)

> > I've emailed the people of that project and that's what they said.
> > it's just a question of time now, not a question of if they're putting
> > it on sourceforge.

> That is great news! Last I heard of this was that non of the DOS products,
> except from B-Tree Filer, was ever going to be released as free.

> Then I also hope the OPRO 1.30 documentation will be posted as PDF, since
> never bought the updated docs released since my 1.0 manuals...

> BTW, do you know if Async Prof and Turbo Analyst also will be released?

Last I knew, Turbo Analyst was not going to be released.  I was interested
in
that as well.

They (TurboPower) had some good C libraries long ago as well, which they
sold cheap when they decided to go all Pascal/Delphi.

I wonder if that's available.

Rufus

Rufus V. Smith
Software/Hardware Design (esp. Automation)
Recently available for full, part-time, or contract work.
Home Page: http://members.aol.com/rufusvs
Looking for work?  Check my Job Search Links.

Tue, 08 Nov 2005 03:35:11 GMT
 OPRO ported to FPC?

Quote:

>> > That might have been my note. :-)

>> > I've emailed the people of that project and that's what they said.
>> > it's just a question of time now, not a question of if they're
>> > putting it on sourceforge.

>> That is great news! Last I heard of this was that non of the DOS
>> products, except from B-Tree Filer, was ever going to be released as
>> free.

>> Then I also hope the OPRO 1.30 documentation will be posted as PDF,
>> since
>> never bought the updated docs released since my 1.0 manuals...

>> BTW, do you know if Async Prof and Turbo Analyst also will be
>> released?

> Last I knew, Turbo Analyst was not going to be released.  I was
> interested in
> that as well.

> They (TurboPower) had some good C libraries long ago as well, which
> they sold cheap when they decided to go all Pascal/Delphi.

> I wonder if that's available.

AFAIK, those products was just ordinary discontinued for quite some
years ago. And they where also targeted specifically at a few C++
compilers, and not very portable at all. I had the OPRO C++ library
once, but really didn't use it much. Picked it up again and looked
through it to see if was much changes to have it work with 32-bit Watcom
C++, but I gave up that project. I think the OPRO Pascal library has a
much higher value, since the recent compilers are very close to Borland
Pascal in compatibility.

I found that Virtual Pascal in fact comes with some patches for OPRO
1.30 so it is compatible. Most of the assembler code is rewritten for
32-bit, but was targeted for OS/2 and it was far from directly fitting
into FPC and GO32V2.

But when porting the OPRO library for FPC, I really don't see the real
reason for rewriting all the assembly functions into new assembly
functions, since the FPC compiler produces pretty fast code and that
CPUs are much faster now than in OPROs commercial primetime. It should
be much faster (and more portable) to code as much as possible in plain
Pascal. There is also a few features as TSRs, swapable Exec which
doesn't have any big meaning outside real-mode, and I would also guess
the printing support is outdated.

Ola

Tue, 08 Nov 2005 04:20:14 GMT

1. Port to FPC, - advice needed please.

2. Linux/PPC port of FPC working

3. Help in porting from TP to FPC...

4. help in porting from TP to FPC...

5. FPC: Porting assembly from BP 7.0

6. FPC: Porting inline assembly from BP 7.0

7. FPC asm : Porting Code from BP7

8. FPC Unit for serial port

9. FPC:problem with printing from fpc programs

10. FPC: translate execvp from c to FPC

11. Graphics library similar to Opro or Tpro?

12. OPRO 1.30: Jumpy mouse with OPDRAG