FPC + RHIDE + Linux questions
Author Message
 FPC + RHIDE + Linux questions

Hello:

I'm trying to get RHIDE working in a linux environment and have a
couple of problems:

1.  RHIDE runs fine with the exception of the help system.  Any call
to help results in "Attention can't open the help file 'xxxxx'".  I've
set the INFOPATH to the location of the inf docs and it didn't help.

2.  The FPC docs say there is optional support for compiling using FPC
instead of GNU.  Can anyone outline exactly what needs to be done or
at least point me to the relevant documentation.

Thanks!

Mon, 13 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 FPC + RHIDE + Linux questions

Quote:
> 2.  The FPC docs say there is optional support for compiling using FPC
> instead of GNU.  Can anyone outline exactly what needs to be done or
> at least point me to the relevant documentation.

I don't know whether it's already possible in the current official
release of RHIDE. You can get a version that supports this at the
bottom of the download page of the FPC website
(<http://tfdec1.fys.kuleuven.ac.be/~michael/fpc>).

You have to check "Use FPC compiler" in RHIDE's options (bottom, left
collumn) and add "-vr" to you ppc386.cfg file (so that FPC outputs its
error messages in a format that RHIDE understands).

Jonas

Tue, 14 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 FPC + RHIDE + Linux questions

Quote:
>> 2.  The FPC docs say there is optional support for compiling using FPC
>> instead of GNU.  Can anyone outline exactly what needs to be done or
>> at least point me to the relevant documentation.

>I don't know whether it's already possible in the current official
>release of RHIDE. You can get a version that supports this at the
>bottom of the download page of the FPC website
>(<http://tfdec1.fys.kuleuven.ac.be/~michael/fpc>).

>You have to check "Use FPC compiler" in RHIDE's options (bottom, left
>collumn) and add "-vr" to you ppc386.cfg file (so that FPC outputs its
>error messages in a format that RHIDE understands).

Got RHIDE; can't make it work; says I need DJGPP.

But doesn't FPC provide all the compilers/linkers RHIDE assumes?

And since there isn't a Linux version of DJGPP, will the Linux version
of RHIDE work?

Confused.....

Any pointers would be welcome!

Mon, 20 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 FPC + RHIDE + Linux questions

Quote:

> >You have to check "Use FPC compiler" in RHIDE's options (bottom, left
> >collumn) and add "-vr" to you ppc386.cfg file (so that FPC outputs its
> >error messages in a format that RHIDE understands).

> Got RHIDE; can't make it work; says I need DJGPP.

You have to set the DJDIR environment variable. Set it so that it
points to thez directory where FPC has put all executables (the
compler, as.exe, ld.exe etc.).

Also make sure you have the RHIDE from
<ftp://tflily.fys.kuleuven.ac.be/pub/fpc/rhide>. You can also find some
extra files in the zip-file "rhid_fpc.zip", for information on how to
use them, see the readme.txt in the same directory.

One more thing: the readme states that every time you start RHide, you
have to reload the config files from the zip file. This is reportedly
not necessary if you put those files in the same directory as the rhide
executable.

Quote:
> But doesn't FPC provide all the compilers/linkers RHIDE assumes?

Yes, but it doesn't set this environment variable.

Quote:
> And since there isn't a Linux version of DJGPP, will the Linux version
> of RHIDE work?

DJGPP isn't necessary for Linux afaik, it's simply a Dos package that
provides the same capabilities as the standard GNU development tools
under Linux (including automatic command line expansion of wildcards
etc)

Jonas

Tue, 21 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 FPC + RHIDE + Linux questions
Jonas, thanks for your attempts to help here, but I'm totally lost. Am
I being stupid?

Quote:
>> >You have to check "Use FPC compiler" in RHIDE's options (bottom, left
>> >collumn)

I can't make sense of this AT ALL. Where are "RHIDE's options"? All I
can find is the "Options" menu.

Quote:
>Also make sure you have the RHIDE from
><ftp://tflily.fys.kuleuven.ac.be/pub/fpc/rhide>. You can also find some
>extra files in the zip-file "rhid_fpc.zip", for information on how to
>use them, see the readme.txt in the same directory.

Done that...

Quote:
>One more thing: the readme states that every time you start RHide, you
>have to reload the config files from the zip file. This is reportedly
>not necessary if you put those files in the same directory as the rhide
>executable.

By the config files you mean Pascal.gdt & .gdr, yes? This seems to be
correct, as RHIDE displays a source file with the Pascal tokens
correctly hightlighted. But when I try to compile I get "Bad command
or file name" -- presumably because RHIDE doesn't know where the
compiler is. But HOW DO I TELL IT?

Any advice, ideas, m{*filter*}support would be very welcome.

Jim

Wed, 22 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 FPC + RHIDE + Linux questions

Quote:

>Jonas, thanks for your attempts to help here, but I'm totally lost. Am
>I being stupid?

>I can't make sense of this AT ALL. Where are "RHIDE's options"? All I
>can find is the "Options" menu.

Follow: Options|Environment|Preferences  You'll see the FPC option as
described.

Quote:

>>One more thing: the readme states that every time you start RHide, you
>>have to reload the config files from the zip file. This is reportedly
>>not necessary if you put those files in the same directory as the rhide
>>executable.

>By the config files you mean Pascal.gdt & .gdr, yes? This seems to be
>correct, as RHIDE displays a source file with the Pascal tokens
>correctly hightlighted. But when I try to compile I get "Bad command
>or file name" -- presumably because RHIDE doesn't know where the
>compiler is. But HOW DO I TELL IT?

I'm not sure what he's talking about there.  After checking the use
fpc option, RHIDE seems to find the fpc compiler with no problem.  I'm
running linux and installed rhide and fpc with the defaults.  If
you're using dos, you might make sure fpc is on your path.

My only remaining problem is getting rhide compiler options to compile
with fpc using the debug option so the de{*filter*} will work.  What I end
up doing is popping into a shell and executing
'ppc386 -dDebug progname' then running the de{*filter*}.  Regular compile
without debugging info works fine.

Quote:
>Any advice, ideas, m{*filter*}support would be very welcome.

Good luck!  It's a pretty nifty tool and worth the time, IMO, to get
it working.  The compiler is awesome.  I ported a Delphi program to
fpc to do a bunch of file I/O and the fpc program runs about 10x
faster!  I don't know how much of that is linux vs. windows but fpc
didn't seem to hurt anything!

Mike.

Quote:
>Jim

Thu, 23 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 FPC + RHIDE + Linux questions

Quote:
> By the config files you mean Pascal.gdt & .gdr, yes? This seems to be
> correct, as RHIDE displays a source file with the Pascal tokens
> correctly hightlighted. But when I try to compile I get "Bad command
> or file name" -- presumably because RHIDE doesn't know where the
> compiler is. But HOW DO I TELL IT?

> Any advice, ideas, m{*filter*}support would be very welcome.

> Jim

What about adding it to path?

--
|  Algirdas 'Ze{*filter*}' Kepezinskas

|  ICQ 14187537
|  If time is killing you
|                   kill some for time..

Thu, 23 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 FPC + RHIDE + Linux questions

Quote:

> Jonas, thanks for your attempts to help here, but I'm totally lost. Am
> I being stupid?

No, it's just that RHIde's menu's have a lot of items and it can be
hard to find the right one :) (and I was not very specific)

Quote:

> I can't make sense of this AT ALL. Where are "RHIDE's options"? All I
> can find is the "Options" menu.

column :)

Quote:
> By the config files you mean Pascal.gdt & .gdr, yes?

Yes.

Quote:
> This seems to be
> correct, as RHIDE displays a source file with the Pascal tokens
> correctly hightlighted. But when I try to compile I get "Bad command
> or file name" -- presumably because RHIDE doesn't know where the
> compiler is. But HOW DO I TELL IT?

It calls GCC by default, which you most likely don't have. To make sure
it finds all executables it needs, set the DJDOR environment variable
to point to your /pp/bin/go32v2 dir (or wherever your FPC binaries are
installed).

Jonas

Quote:
> Any advice, ideas, m{*filter*}support would be very welcome.

Fri, 24 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 FPC + RHIDE + Linux questions
I donwloaded RHIde, and found missing one top options - you can't save default
options?! Howcome? Do I have to load options everytime I start RHIde? But it sx!
Also, I couldn't get it to work with FPC: said that assembling failed and all.

Quote:

> > Jonas, thanks for your attempts to help here, but I'm totally lost. Am
> > I being stupid?

> No, it's just that RHIde's menu's have a lot of items and it can be
> hard to find the right one :) (and I was not very specific)

> > I can't make sense of this AT ALL. Where are "RHIDE's options"? All I
> > can find is the "Options" menu.

> column :)

> > By the config files you mean Pascal.gdt & .gdr, yes?

> Yes.

> > This seems to be
> > correct, as RHIDE displays a source file with the Pascal tokens
> > correctly hightlighted. But when I try to compile I get "Bad command
> > or file name" -- presumably because RHIDE doesn't know where the
> > compiler is. But HOW DO I TELL IT?

> It calls GCC by default, which you most likely don't have. To make sure
> it finds all executables it needs, set the DJDOR environment variable
> to point to your /pp/bin/go32v2 dir (or wherever your FPC binaries are
> installed).

> Jonas

> > Any advice, ideas, m{*filter*}support would be very welcome.

--
|  Algirdas 'Ze{*filter*}' Kepezinskas

|  ICQ 14187537
|  If time is killing you
|                   kill some for time..

Fri, 24 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 FPC + RHIDE + Linux questions
To all who replied to my cries for help, my thanks!

FPC now happily working with RHIDE after I sorted out paths,
environment variables, config files etc etc. Hard work but worth it.

Now for the Linux version....!

Jim

Fri, 24 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 FPC + RHIDE + Linux questions

Quote:

> I donwloaded RHIde, and found missing one top options - you can't save default
> options?! Howcome? Do I have to load options everytime I start RHIde? But it
> sx!

Copy the RHIDE executables into the same directory as where your FPC
binaries reside, add a "set djdir=c:\pp\bin\go32v2" statement to your
autoexec.bat (change the path to match your setup) and save your
options also in that binaries directory. Now they will be loaded every
time you start RHIDE.

Quote:
> Also, I couldn't get it to work with FPC: said that assembling failed and all.

Have you got ther DJDIR environment variable set?

Jonas

Fri, 24 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 FPC + RHIDE + Linux questions

Quote:

> > I donwloaded RHIde, and found missing one top options - you can't save default
> > options?! Howcome? Do I have to load options everytime I start RHIde? But it
> > sx!

> Copy the RHIDE executables into the same directory as where your FPC
> binaries reside, add a "set djdir=c:\pp\bin\go32v2" statement to your
> autoexec.bat (change the path to match your setup) and save your
> options also in that binaries directory. Now they will be loaded every
> time you start RHIDE.

What name save options as?

Quote:
> > Also, I couldn't get it to work with FPC: said that assembling failed and all.

> Have you got ther DJDIR environment variable set?

Pointing to go32v2?!

--
|  Algirdas 'Ze{*filter*}' Kepezinskas

|  ICQ 14187537
|  If time is killing you
|                   kill some for time..

Fri, 24 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 FPC + RHIDE + Linux questions

Quote:

> > Copy the RHIDE executables into the same directory as where your FPC
> > binaries reside, add a "set djdir=c:\pp\bin\go32v2" statement to your
> > autoexec.bat (change the path to match your setup) and save your
> > options also in that binaries directory. Now they will be loaded every
> > time you start RHIDE.

> What name save options as?

Get the options at
<ftp://tflily.fys.kuleuven.ac.be/pub/fpc/rhide/rhid_fpc.zip>. They're
called pascal.grp and pascal.gdt (one is an options file, one is a
project file you can use.

Quote:
> > > Also, I couldn't get it to work with FPC: said that assembling failed and
> > > all.

> > Have you got ther DJDIR environment variable set?

> Pointing to go32v2?!

Yes, or wherever your GNU bin utils are stored (as.exe, ld.exe, ...)

Jonas

Sat, 25 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 FPC + RHIDE + Linux questions

Quote:
> > > Copy the RHIDE executables into the same directory as where your FPC
> > > binaries reside, add a "set djdir=c:\pp\bin\go32v2" statement to your
> > > autoexec.bat (change the path to match your setup) and save your
> > > options also in that binaries directory. Now they will be loaded every
> > > time you start RHIDE.

> > What name save options as?

> Get the options at
> <ftp://tflily.fys.kuleuven.ac.be/pub/fpc/rhide/rhid_fpc.zip>. They're
> called pascal.grp and pascal.gdt (one is an options file, one is a
> project file you can use.

So I will put them in directory with fpc and rhide binaries, and they will be
used everytime i type rhide and create new pas? somewhat inbelieveable..

Quote:

--
|  Algirdas 'Ze{*filter*}' Kepezinskas

|  ICQ 14187537
|  If time is killing you
|                   kill some for time..

Sun, 26 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT

 [ 23 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages

1. FPC - linux question

2. Question about FPC under linux

3. FPC charset (linux) question

4. FPC (linux) question

5. FreePascal (FPC) and RHIDE

6. How to use rhide and FPC under DOS

7. multi threading in fpc linux?

8. Linux/PPC port of FPC working

9. Writing PNG in FPC for Linux, libpng available

10. FPC linking error under Linux ... cannot find GLU

11. Printing problem again FPC under linux

12. find small database for FPC linux