where do people discuss freepascal? 
Author Message
 where do people discuss freepascal?

c.l.p.m would seem a good place, but I can't believe it's the main
one.  I've seen a couple of web based groups (like yahoo) and there's
a q&a at the freePascal site, and a buglist.    I imagine there are
more freepascal users than I seem to be getting the impression there
are!  Or maybe not.

Am I missing a few websites / groups I should've found by now?

I've found FP great for making win32 cmdline versions of old DOS TP/BP
utilities.  Sure I could have used delphi too, but FP is just so
straightforward for this stuff, and i've DLed the Linux version too,
for some porting later.



Tue, 15 Feb 2005 22:18:26 GMT  
 where do people discuss freepascal?

Quote:

> c.l.p.m would seem a good place, but I can't believe it's the main
> one.  I've seen a couple of web based groups (like yahoo) and there's
> a q&a at the freepascal site, and a buglist.    I imagine there are
> more freepascal users than I seem to be getting the impression there
> are!  Or maybe not.

The Free Pascal maillists are the best ones. (specially fpc-pascal)

 Though not extreme, they have a small but steady flow, and there is a large
presence of the developpers.

See
http://www.freepascal.org/maillist.html



Tue, 15 Feb 2005 23:00:16 GMT  
 where do people discuss freepascal?

Quote:

> c.l.p.m would seem a good place, but I can't believe it's the main
> one.  I've seen a couple of web based groups (like yahoo) and there's
> a q&a at the freepascal site, and a buglist.    I imagine there are
> more freepascal users than I seem to be getting the impression there
> are!  Or maybe not.

> Am I missing a few websites / groups I should've found by now?

If you do find any please post them - they would be most welcome

Quote:

> I've found FP great for making win32 cmdline versions of old DOS TP/BP
> utilities.  Sure I could have used Delphi too, but FP is just so
> straightforward for this stuff, and i've DLed the Linux version too,
> for some porting later.

Right now - there is a growing segment of the pascal programmers
who are doing exactly what you are doing - moving from win32 to linux

I had converted most of my dos/tp/bp -> win32 cmdline/delphi a while
back - at that time though there were still some bugs in fpc that
I couldn't afford to take chances with so delphi was a good intermediate
until they were fixed - today I would go straight from tp/bp to fpc like
you with no qualms.

It was/is pretty straightforward in getting the win32 fpc code to run
under linux - with a welcomed 'speed' boost on the linux system over
the Windows system.



Wed, 16 Feb 2005 09:16:42 GMT  
 where do people discuss freepascal?

Quote:

> > c.l.p.m would seem a good place, but I can't believe it's the main
> > one.  I've seen a couple of web based groups (like yahoo) and there's
> > a q&a at the freepascal site, and a buglist.    I imagine there are
> > more freepascal users than I seem to be getting the impression there
> > are!  Or maybe not.

> The Free Pascal maillists are the best ones. (specially fpc-pascal)

>  Though not extreme, they have a small but steady flow, and there is a large
> presence of the developpers.

> See
> http://www.freepascal.org/maillist.html

Thanks Marco

Odd that I visit freepascal.org fairly regularly but haven't looked into that!

the ability to review past discussions is particularly useful.



Fri, 18 Feb 2005 18:08:15 GMT  
 where do people discuss freepascal?

Quote:


> > c.l.p.m would seem a good place, but I can't believe it's the main
> > one.  I've seen a couple of web based groups (like yahoo) and there's
> > a q&a at the freepascal site, and a buglist.    I imagine there are
> > more freepascal users than I seem to be getting the impression there
> > are!  Or maybe not.

> > Am I missing a few websites / groups I should've found by now?

> If you do find any please post them - they would be most welcome

> > I've found FP great for making win32 cmdline versions of old DOS TP/BP
> > utilities.  Sure I could have used Delphi too, but FP is just so
> > straightforward for this stuff, and i've DLed the Linux version too,
> > for some porting later.

> Right now - there is a growing segment of the pascal programmers
> who are doing exactly what you are doing - moving from win32 to linux

I'm more staying with Win32 and including Linux really, but FPC is
great for that, it means you don;t *have* to rely on c for porting.

Quote:
> I had converted most of my dos/tp/bp -> win32 cmdline/delphi a while
> back - at that time though there were still some bugs in fpc that
> I couldn't afford to take chances with so delphi was a good intermediate
> until they were fixed - today I would go straight from tp/bp to fpc like
> you with no qualms.

I find my own stuff (and even some of the quite old SWAG stuff) works
a treat with FP, it's great to have that cross platform ability.  
There is a biggish buglist for FP at their site, though not anything
bad.    The only thing I thought a little odd were the way some of the
included examples, esp those using graphics, didn't compile straight
off in the IDE, and a couple 'hang around' in windows unseen when
exiting the app (and need deleting in tasklist).

No complaints though, I'm very grateful those developers took time to
do the FP project and documentation, and to keep updating it.  I hope
it keeps attracting more and more programmers to use it.



Fri, 18 Feb 2005 18:18:00 GMT  
 
 [ 5 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. Do we discuss FreePascal or Turbo Pascal(Empty Inside)

2. Doing other people's homework

3. where i should discuss DBE?

4. Why do some people care about...

5. good news for people looking for borland turbo pascal 7

6. Report writers: what are people using?

7. People interested in TV32 for Delphi?

8. dos editor for elderly people.

9. Why aren't more people using interbase?

10. Advertise to Thousands of People an Hour with Mailloop

11. Spy people on the Net

12. ADVERTISE TO OVER 100 MILLION PEOPLE FOR FREE!!!

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software