Text mode - graphics mode conflict (Help!)
Author Message
 Text mode - graphics mode conflict (Help!)

A potential client has asked me if I could develop a program for
him to do some linguistic calculations and plot the results onto
various styles of charts and graphs.  (I am using TP 7.0 for DOS
to do this.)  The mathematics and plotting involved are not
complicated and were the texts I am expected to manipulate in
English or French, I could proceed with little problem.

The problem is that the texts are in Old and Middle English, Old
Norse, Icelandic and other members of that family of languages
plus some IPA.  I have been able to duplicate most of the texts
using multilingual code page 850 but when I try to plot the texts
to graphs, I run smack against the classic text mode vs graphics
mode conflict.  As expected, the default graphics mode compatible
character set is totally useless for this task as well as are any
stroked character set files I have been able to locate thus far.
At the moment, I don't have the time, (or the artistic skill), to
create stroked fonts from scratch for this project.

I have the 16 x 8 and the 8 x 8 bit-maps for all the characters I
require.  For this project, I do not need anything more
sophisticated that these.  The question is:  Is it possible to
overwrite the existing graphics compatible bit-mapped character
set with a character set containing the special characters I
require so text and graphics can co-exist?  If so, how?  If not,
what are some alterantives?

Thank you all for your time and trouble.  A belated Merry
Christmas and best wishes for a Happy New Year to you all.

David Solly
--

Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA
Voice: (613) 731-2120

Tue, 15 Jun 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Text mode - graphics mode conflict (Help!)

To David Solly,

Quote:

> I have the 16 x 8 and the 8 x 8 bit-maps for all the characters I
> require.  For this project, I do not need anything more
> sophisticated that these.  The question is:  Is it possible to
> overwrite the existing graphics compatible bit-mapped character
> set with a character set containing the special characters I
> require so text and graphics can co-exist?  If so, how?  If not,
> what are some alterantives?

You can use Fontmania from Rexxcom System.
You can edit your own fonts and use the generated font data in your
application.
No regret!

And also, you can have 512 characters in your character set but that
require special programming technique.

From Vinson ABS.

Tue, 15 Jun 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Text mode - graphics mode conflict (Help!)

Quote:
(David Solly) writes:

[..snip...]

Quote:

>The problem is that the texts are in Old and Middle English, Old
>Norse, Icelandic and other members of that family of languages
>plus some IPA.  I have been able to duplicate most of the texts
>using multilingual code page 850 but when I try to plot the texts
>to graphs, I run smack against the classic text mode vs graphics
>mode conflict.  As expected, the default graphics mode compatible
>character set is totally useless for this task as well as are any
>stroked character set files I have been able to locate thus far.
>At the moment, I don't have the time, (or the artistic skill), to
>create stroked fonts from scratch for this project.

You could use Graphic Vision (see my sig) for this, as it can use any Win 2.x
fixed-pitch font. You could start with a standard font, then change some of the
characters for the missing ones. No Text <-> graphics problems because GV works
in graphics mode.

Quote:
>I have the 16 x 8 and the 8 x 8 bit-maps for all the characters I
>require.  For this project, I do not need anything more
>sophisticated that these.  The question is:  Is it possible to
>overwrite the existing graphics compatible bit-mapped character
>set with a character set containing the special characters I
>require so text and graphics can co-exist?  If so, how?  If not,
>what are some alterantives?

Just cut and past your characters using Resource Workshop or similar, into a Win
2.x font, then use your custom font in your GV application.

-- Jay

| Jason Burgon - author of Graphic Vision, TV-Like GUI for 256 Colour SVGA |

| ***NEW VERSION OF GV AVAILABLE FROM*** -> http://www.jayman.demon.co.uk  |

Thu, 17 Jun 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Text mode vs graphics mode conflict (Help!)

2. Please help with graphics in text mode!

3. Bios text in graphics mode. Help please

4. I need help with graphics and text mode!!

5. Please help with graphics in text mode!

6. Problem with GotoXY in EGA/VGA text mode (43/50 line mode)

7. Text in graphics mode

8. Graphics in text mode

9. Text Mode Graphics

10. time delay switching from text to graphics mode

11. writing text to screen while in graphics mode

12. Graphics in text mode