Simplying serial com port selection
Author Message
 Simplying serial com port selection

I use async professional in my program a rather over kill since all i
use is getchar, purchar and a checkbuffer routine.

Anyways the part of the program that asks for comports is good, but it
also has an advanced section for base address and irq.
Is there a full proof way to get the base addresses and irqs for all com
ports ?

The more info my prog can get on it's own the less it has to ask users
advanced questions.
Thanks.

Fri, 21 Nov 2003 06:49:00 GMT
 Simplying serial com port selection

Quote:

> I use async professional in my program a rather over kill since all i
> use is getchar, purchar and a checkbuffer routine.

> Anyways the part of the program that asks for comports is good, but it
> also has an advanced section for base address and irq.
> Is there a full proof way to get the base addresses and irqs for all com
> ports ?

No. But there are some possibilities on standard hardware.

Check unit EDos in package XTDFPC on www.stack.nl/~marcov/xtdfpc.html
somewhere for an example in FPC.

---

The problem is that you have to probe, and if you try to probe hardware
that doesn't like it, the computer hangs.

So I would try to probe some standard places (as in the example above), and
otherwise demand the user to enter.

Sat, 22 Nov 2003 15:58:26 GMT
 Simplying serial com port selection

Quote:

> I use async professional in my program a rather over kill since all i
> use is getchar, purchar and a checkbuffer routine.

> Anyways the part of the program that asks for comports is good, but it
> also has an advanced section for base address and irq.
> Is there a full proof way to get the base addresses and irqs for all com
> ports ?

> The more info my prog can get on it's own the less it has to ask users
> advanced questions.
> Thanks.

Craig Hart wrote some cool programs in turbo Pascal, they're hardware
diagnostic tools, he may have code for extracting the info from the PNP BIOS
if your target platform supports it.
His page can be found at http://members.hyperlink.net.au/~chart/
I really recomend his software.

Tue, 09 Dec 2003 07:35:08 GMT

1. How can I disable all serial ports (COM[s])

2. FW: How can I disable all serial ports (COM[s])

3. COM (Serial) Port Access in Borland Pascal

4. serial com in borland pascal (windows DLL)

5. COM serial communications

6. serial port software

7. serial port routines

8. Programming the Serial Port in D5

9. print to a serial port printer

10. How do I use the serial port

11. serialun.zip Turbo Pascal Object Oriented Serial Port Unit

12. Firing Serial Port Pins...