Need a new programming language..please help
Author Message
 Need a new programming language..please help

Hello

After one year with C/C++ programming, I decided to change the
language, beacause I still have some problems with the complicate
syntax and the case sensitiv stuff. I coded turbo Pascal a long time
ago, and I whant to switch back. But I have a few questions about
that. The important thing is, that I ' whant to do all my programming
projects with one language (I tierd of learning more lang.). And here
is my "wish list":
1. I only use Linux ...that means that there must be some good
compilers for it. You know, like free pascal etc..  no problem
2. Sometimes i use the opengl api...that should work with freepascal.
3. I whant to programm with microcontrollers. (that is the tricky
park).
There are some pascal microcontroller compilers for win and dos. But
nothing for unix and linux. I think about to write some pascal code
and convert it in C code. for C, there are a few compiler systems. But
that is not a "clean" solution.
On the other hand I can use a dos or win emulator to run the
compilers. hmmm .....is there a other way, or anoter language wich can
do the WHOLE JOB ??

Sun, 27 Mar 2005 22:27:01 GMT
 Need a new programming language..please help
AFAIK, there are really only two choices of language if you want
to program for microcontrollers and want to program for all platforms
with one language.

    C (probably not C++)
    Forth

But trying to do everything with a single language is like
keeping only a hammer in your toolbox.

Rufus

Quote:
> Hello

> After one year with C/C++ programming, I decided to change the
> language, beacause I still have some problems with the complicate
> syntax and the case sensitiv stuff. I coded turbo pascal a long time
> ago, and I whant to switch back. But I have a few questions about
> that. The important thing is, that I ' whant to do all my programming
> projects with one language (I tierd of learning more lang.). And here
> is my "wish list":
> 1. I only use Linux ...that means that there must be some good
> compilers for it. You know, like free pascal etc..  no problem
> 2. Sometimes i use the opengl api...that should work with freepascal.
> 3. I whant to programm with microcontrollers. (that is the tricky
> park).
> There are some pascal microcontroller compilers for win and dos. But
> nothing for unix and linux. I think about to write some pascal code
> and convert it in C code. for C, there are a few compiler systems. But
> that is not a "clean" solution.
> On the other hand I can use a dos or win emulator to run the
> compilers. hmmm .....is there a other way, or anoter language wich can
> do the WHOLE JOB ??

Mon, 28 Mar 2005 00:18:28 GMT
 Need a new programming language..please help
: Hello

: 3. I whant to programm with microcontrollers. (that is the tricky
: park).
: There are some pascal microcontroller compilers for win and dos. But
: nothing for unix and linux. I think about to write some pascal code
Depends what you call microcontroller --- currently gcc supports many
32-bit processors used as embedded controllers. Since gpc (Gnu Pascal)
have the same back end as gcc it can generate code for many
embedded controllers. There is a catch: microcontrollers typicaly have
no OS or some non-standard OS so if you want to use library
functions you (or somebody else) have to do library support. On the
other hand frequently you can do a lot of thing just without
library, and with little effort you can reuse C support (if available).

If you have good C support and stick to pre-Turbo Pascal then p2c
may do the job: it compiles your Pascal program converting it
to quite portable C.

--
                              Waldek Hebisch

Mon, 28 Mar 2005 03:45:17 GMT
 Need a new programming language..please help

Quote:

> Hello

> After one year with C/C++ programming, I decided to change the
> 2. Sometimes i use the opengl api...that should work with freepascal.
> 3. I whant to programm with microcontrollers. (that is the tricky
> park).
> There are some pascal microcontroller compilers for win and dos. But
> nothing for unix and linux. I think about to write some pascal code
> and convert it in C code. for C, there are a few compiler systems. But
> that is not a "clean" solution.
> On the other hand I can use a dos or win emulator to run the
> compilers. hmmm .....is there a other way, or anoter language wich can
> do the WHOLE JOB ??

1) This question is not answerable without knowing what microcontrollers do
        you target.
2) Did you check the pascal compiler list (pascaland.fr IIRC, or try google)

They list a lot of embedded Pascal compilers.

Mon, 28 Mar 2005 03:58:42 GMT

1. Need help with Hailstone Sequence program please Help

2. HELP ME PLEASE I NEED HELP ON PROGRAMMING THIS>>>>|||

3. New programming language written in TP7.0

4. New Application, need help please...

5. New to Pascal, need help please

6. New Student needing help!! PLease

7. New at Programming; need help

8. New at Programming; need help

9. New to pascal, need help w/ program

10. I'm new and need the language

11. help with program needed please

12. Game Programming - Please Read I need your help!