freepascal on different OS's
Author Message
 freepascal on different OS's

Is there any info (dl stats?) suggesting which OS version of
freePascal has the largest userbase?  (well, download base anyway!).
Perhaps there's something i missed at one of the FP sites.

I use the Linux and Win32 versions (i recall reading the dos version
might be better for win9x... is that so?).

I've also used gnu pascal on win32.  Infact with the dev-pascal IDE
that's quite handy (for both FP & GPC).  GPC seems to produce notably
larger .exe files as default though, with a longer compile time.

I'm not sure of the userbase for gpc either.

I realize such stats are generally to be taken with several pinches of
salt, but it's interesting anyway.

The other freeware pascal tools don't appear to be as mature as these
two.

Sat, 13 Aug 2005 00:14:12 GMT
 freepascal on different OS's

Quote:

> Is there any info (dl stats?) suggesting which OS version of
> freepascal has the largest userbase?  (well, download base anyway!).
> Perhaps there's something i missed at one of the FP sites.

> I use the Linux and Win32 versions (i recall reading the dos version
> might be better for win9x... is that so?).

Daniel once said Win32:linux:rest 60:30:10, but that is the FPC mainmirror
only. Dos is the largest of the rest, then a few percent BSD. Problem is
that most Linux users get it via the distributions. (Suse, Debian, Mandrake)

Probably even more skewed due to {*filter*}shed and its 300.000 download.com
win32 downloads with it.

Quote:
> I've also used gnu pascal on win32.  Infact with the dev-pascal IDE
> that's quite handy (for both FP & GPC).  GPC seems to produce notably
> larger .exe files as default though, with a longer compile time.
> I'm not sure of the userbase for gpc either.

I was on the GPC list for two years till early this year, and I never saw
stats there either, still I think it will be quite decent. The GNU name
alone takes care of that.

Quote:
> I realize such stats are generally to be taken with several pinches of
> salt, but it's interesting anyway.

FPC: Hundreds of thousands probably, of the 1.0.x versions alone, at least
if download.com stats are reliable.

Quote:
> The other freeware pascal tools don't appear to be as mature as these
> two.

Sb said that VP's IDE+de{*filter*} is more stable, but it VP seems so dead
lately. More important, the VP Linux system seems a hack (with that I mean
that I don't expect it to be the result of a architecture clean up and OS
dependancies restructure. A restructured cleaned up version would be
important for implementing other OSes and hardware.

I never used TMT.

Sat, 13 Aug 2005 00:29:45 GMT
 freepascal on different OS's

Quote:

> Is there any info (dl stats?) suggesting which OS version of
> freepascal has the largest userbase?  (well, download base anyway!).
> Perhaps there's something i missed at one of the FP sites.

The fact that FreePascal operates on OS's other than linux is purely
coincidental from my perspective.

--
http://www.oretek.com/laptops/
Hey MicroSoft!  Every Day is Windows Refund Day!

Sat, 13 Aug 2005 09:05:54 GMT
 freepascal on different OS's

Quote:

> Is there any info (dl stats?) suggesting which OS version of
> freepascal has the largest userbase?  (well, download base anyway!).
> Perhaps there's something i missed at one of the FP sites.

Greetings,
         To give you a rough idea, go check the sourceforge
mirror stats here:

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=2174&release_id...

Of course, this is only for the sourceforge mirror, but
i think it is quite representative.

Carl

Sat, 13 Aug 2005 17:43:21 GMT
 freepascal on different OS's

Quote:

>> Is there any info (dl stats?) suggesting which OS version of
>> freepascal has the largest userbase?  (well, download base anyway!).
>> Perhaps there's something i missed at one of the FP sites.

> The fact that FreePascal operates on OS's other than linux is purely
> coincidental from my perspective.

Huh? It _started_ under Dos, and was dos-only for years? And the win32
target is used much more than the Linux one.

FPC has its roots under Dos/windows (contrary to e.g. GPC), but cleaned up
on OS dependancies significantly somewhere in 1998 (0.99.5-0.99.10 mainly
during the win32 port which was the third platform we supported after dos
and linux).

These roots can be seen today in some non-standard choices for the unix
platforms, like FPC's direct syscall use.

Together with that, we also started to clean up architecture issues where
possible (helped by Carl's 0.99.5 m68k port experiences).
Though this came only to full swing after 1.0.x was branched, 1.0.x was
already clean enough to do a m68k branch.

Or maybe I'm misinterpreting your remark?

Sat, 13 Aug 2005 19:40:26 GMT
 freepascal on different OS's

Quote:

> >> Is there any info (dl stats?) suggesting which OS version of
> >> freepascal has the largest userbase?  (well, download base anyway!).
> >> Perhaps there's something i missed at one of the FP sites.

> > The fact that FreePascal operates on OS's other than linux is purely
> > coincidental from my perspective.

> Huh? It _started_ under Dos, and was dos-only for years? And the win32
> target is used much more than the Linux one.

I'm not arguing that point.

Quote:
> Or maybe I'm misinterpreting your remark?

I made that part easy to do.  I used to develop code using
Dos/Windows/Linux, but have long since abandoned all platforms other
than linux.

--
http://www.oretek.com/laptops/
Hey MicroSoft!  Every Day is Windows Refund Day!

Sun, 14 Aug 2005 02:58:58 GMT
 freepascal on different OS's

Quote:

> I made that part easy to do.  I used to develop code using
> Dos/Windows/Linux, but have long since abandoned all platforms other
> than linux.

Clear, keep in mind we are not all native speakers here.

Sun, 14 Aug 2005 04:33:10 GMT

1. Don't forget: GraphiX for FreePascal

2. Don't forget: GraphiX for FreePascal

3. Multitasking OS's

4. FA: Virtual Pascal for OS/2, RexxVIM for OS/2

5. What's the different between DELPHI2.0 ......??

6. What's the different between DELPHI2.0 ......??

7. Sybase's Sql and BDE work different

8. Different output on different printer ???

9. Joining 2 different InterBase Tables with 2 different Database

10. Joining 2 different InterBase Tables with 2 different Database

11. Interbase:Different Privileges for Different Users?

12. (FreePascal) Why, the names of the GTK libraries are different?