Load .BMP or .PCX or .GIF files fast.
Author Message
 Load .BMP or .PCX or .GIF files fast.

Quote:

>I've just finished a program and now I want a intro screen.
>I have made a good .GIF graphic and I also have a source
>that will load in the file.
>But is goes very very slow and this is not right if you
>have to wait about 1 minute before the real program starts.
>So what I want is is a source that will load the file very fast.

>Or something that will build the screen up on an invisble screen
>and then switch that screen on.(Get the idea?)

>Or if you have any other suggestions please write me!
>Because I really really want to have it working propally.

Normally, loading a 640x480 (or so) picture should be fast enough on a
modern computer system. There is enough source code available loading
GIFs ... Maybe just try another ! A web search should be enough.
If you want to modify the source code you have : take a look at the
way the code reads in bytes. Sometimes, all you need is some
additional input buffering (2KB are enough) and you'll get a big
speedup.

Regards,
Marco
--
Marco Schmidt - Student of Computer Science, Aachen, Germany

http://www.*-*-*.com/

Mon, 25 Oct 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Load .BMP or .PCX or .GIF files fast.

Quote:

> Hi Everyone!

> I've just finished a program and now I want a intro screen.
> I have made a good .GIF graphic and I also have a source
> that will load in the file.
> But is goes very very slow and this is not right if you
> have to wait about 1 minute before the real program starts.
> So what I want is is a source that will load the file very fast.

> Or something that will build the screen up on an invisble screen
> and then switch that screen on.(Get the idea?)

> Or if you have any other suggestions please write me!
> Because I really really want to have it working propally.

Hi,

Check out my homepage: sch-www.uia.ac.be/u/desmedt/index.html
You find there a nice unit (IMAGS01.ZIP; 704K) that covers the reading
or writing of GIFs, PCXs, BMPs, TGAs (soon), JPGs (also soon), TIFs (and
also soon). It's fast! A 640X480X256 gif took 4 seconds to show it on
screen on a 486-DX40.

Greetings, Nico.

Sat, 30 Oct 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Load .BMP or .PCX or .GIF files fast.

Quote:

> > Hi Everyone!

> > I've just finished a program and now I want a intro screen.
> > I have made a good .GIF graphic and I also have a source
> > that will load in the file.
> > But is goes very very slow and this is not right if you
> > have to wait about 1 minute before the real program starts.
> > So what I want is is a source that will load the file very fast.
> > Or something that will build the screen up on an invisble screen
> > and then switch that screen on.(Get the idea?)

> > Or if you have any other suggestions please write me!
> > Because I really really want to have it working propally.
> Hi,
> Check out my homepage: sch-www.uia.ac.be/u/desmedt/index.html
> You find there a nice unit (IMAGS01.ZIP; 704K) that covers the reading
> or writing of GIFs, PCXs, BMPs, TGAs (soon), JPGs (also soon), TIFs (and
> also soon). It's fast! A 640X480X256 gif took 4 seconds to show it on
> screen on a 486-DX40.
> Greetings, Nico.

Sounds real interesting Nico - I tried to download IMAGS01.ZIP, but had
problems connecting to your site. Netscape reported contacting it, but no
reply ever came.

Guess the server is busy from all the other people downloading your code
- I'll try later.

Best Regards,

Mike Monett: ADDIDE, NoSpam, LP.EXE
http://www.csolve.net/~add/zips/addide.htm
ftp://www.headwaters.com/pub/add/zips/addide.htm

Sat, 30 Oct 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Load .BMP or .PCX or .GIF files fast.

Quote:

> > Hi Everyone!

> > I've just finished a program and now I want a intro screen.
> > I have made a good .GIF graphic and I also have a source
> > that will load in the file.
> > But is goes very very slow and this is not right if you
> > have to wait about 1 minute before the real program starts.
> > So what I want is is a source that will load the file very fast.

> > Or something that will build the screen up on an invisble screen
> > and then switch that screen on.(Get the idea?)

> > Or if you have any other suggestions please write me!
> > Because I really really want to have it working propally.

> Hi,

> Check out my homepage: sch-www.uia.ac.be/u/desmedt/index.html
> You find there a nice unit (IMAGS01.ZIP; 704K) that covers the reading
> or writing of GIFs, PCXs, BMPs, TGAs (soon), JPGs (also soon), TIFs (and
> also soon). It's fast! A 640X480X256 gif took 4 seconds to show it on
> screen on a 486-DX40.

> Greetings, Nico.

Nico, I have tried many times to connect to your site since your posting
appeared - no luck at all. Do you have any other ideas - I'd really like
to try your suggestion! Thanks.

Best Regards,

Mike Monett: ADDIDE, NoSpam, LP.EXE
http://www.csolve.net/~add/zips/addide.htm
ftp://www.headwaters.com/pub/add/zips/addide.htm

Sat, 30 Oct 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Load .BMP or .PCX or .GIF files fast.

Quote:

> > > Hi Everyone!

> > > I've just finished a program and now I want a intro screen.
> > > I have made a good .GIF graphic and I also have a source
> > > that will load in the file.
> > > But is goes very very slow and this is not right if you
> > > have to wait about 1 minute before the real program starts.
> > > So what I want is is a source that will load the file very fast.

> > > Or something that will build the screen up on an invisble screen
> > > and then switch that screen on.(Get the idea?)

> > > Or if you have any other suggestions please write me!
> > > Because I really really want to have it working propally.

> > Hi,

> > Check out my homepage: sch-www.uia.ac.be/u/desmedt/index.html
> > You find there a nice unit (IMAGS01.ZIP; 704K) that covers the reading
> > or writing of GIFs, PCXs, BMPs, TGAs (soon), JPGs (also soon), TIFs (and
> > also soon). It's fast! A 640X480X256 gif took 4 seconds to show it on
> > screen on a 486-DX40.

> > Greetings, Nico.

> Nico, I have tried many times to connect to your site since your posting
> appeared - no luck at all. Do you have any other ideas - I'd really like
> to try your suggestion! Thanks.

> Best Regards,

Hi,

Yes I know! I think there are some problems  with our server. When I
want to send an email to someone, it takes very long to send it away!!
Also when using netscape: the loading of my homepage is very slow and
I'm on my own account!! (my homepage is loaded automaticly when netscape
starts). I hope these problems are solved tomorrow. Keep trying, I can't
help it.........

Greetings, Nico.

Sat, 30 Oct 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Load .BMP or .PCX or .GIF files fast.

Quote:

[snip original request]

Quote:
> > > Hi,

> > > Check out my homepage: sch-www.uia.ac.be/u/desmedt/index.html
> > > You find there a nice unit (IMAGS01.ZIP; 704K) that covers the reading
> > > or writing of GIFs, PCXs, BMPs, TGAs (soon), JPGs (also soon), TIFs (and
> > > also soon). It's fast! A 640X480X256 gif took 4 seconds to show it on
> > > screen on a 486-DX40.

> > > Greetings, Nico.

> > Nico, I have tried many times to connect to your site since your posting
> > appeared - no luck at all. Do you have any other ideas - I'd really like
> > to try your suggestion! Thanks.

> > Best Regards,

> Hi,
> Yes I know! I think there are some problems  with our server. When I
> want to send an email to someone, it takes very long to send it away!!
> Also when using netscape: the loading of my homepage is very slow and
> I'm on my own account!! (my homepage is loaded automaticly when netscape
> starts). I hope these problems are solved tomorrow. Keep trying, I can't
> help it.........
> Greetings, Nico.

Nico - your site came up fast today. I downloaded your files with no
problem - huge thanks. This is very impressive work - there is a lot more
than you suggested in your post.

I hope you get your Pentium, but I am sorry to see we would lose you to
Win95 - what a waste of good talent!

BTW - perhaps you can avoid the delay loading by going directly to

  http://sch-www.uia.ac.be/u/desmedt/source.html

Best Regards,

Mike Monett: ADDIDE, NoSpam, LP.EXE
http://www.csolve.net/~add/zips/addide.htm
ftp://www.headwaters.com/pub/add/zips/addide.htm

Sun, 31 Oct 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Load .BMP or .PCX or .GIF files fast.

Quote:

>Yes I know! I think there are some problems  with our server. When I
>want to send an email to someone, it takes very long to send it away!!
>Also when using netscape: the loading of my homepage is very slow and
>I'm on my own account!! (my homepage is loaded automaticly when netscape
>starts). I hope these problems are solved tomorrow. Keep trying, I can't
>help it.........

>Greetings, Nico.

I think you missed part of the address out. Try:

sch-www.uia.ac.be/u/desmedt/source.html

--
Keith Howell

Sun, 31 Oct 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Load .BMP or .PCX or .GIF files fast.

I downloaded it too, but when trying to compile it I got an error.
It seems that my compiler doesn't know how to handle an array as a variable for
a function or procedure.
Is this because I have TP 6.0 or is there some other problem ?

--
Martijn v.d. Horst

Fri, 05 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Load .BMP or .PCX or .GIF files fast.

Quote:

> I downloaded it too, but when trying to compile it I got an error.
> It seems that my compiler doesn't know how to handle an array as a variable for
> a function or procedure.
> Is this because I have TP 6.0 or is there some other problem ?

> --
> Martijn v.d. Horst

Hi Marijn,

Could you explain your problem a bit more...Maybe you can add some code
snipets...I'm the author of that unit, and I wanted to know if there is
a bug!!

Others, who have downloaded the images unit, can always email me for
support and bug report.

Greetings, Nico.

Sat, 06 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Load .BMP or .PCX or .GIF files fast.

2. How to load/store large PCX/BMP files??

3. Graphics Display (JPG, GIF, BMP, PCX, etc.)

4. Gif, Bmp, Jpg or Pcx viewer!

5. Save and Love PCX, GIF or BMP

6. PCX/GIF/BMP

7. Gif, Pcx, Bmp

8. Displaying PCX, GIF and BMP.

9. pcx/bmp/gif 640x480x16

10. PCX, GIF, TGA, BMP in SVGA.

11. I need source to load GIF or PCX or BMP in fast.