: only for the persons who are interested in Graphical Windows Objects (my GUI for FPC)
Author Message
 : only for the persons who are interested in Graphical Windows Objects (my GUI for FPC)

In my last post I said something about a GUI system. to prove that I was not
talking SHIT i decided
to compile my current work to something useable and release it on the NET..
you can get the URL only from this newsgroup.. (since I am still developing
my FPC Pascal Page :])

this "demo" version can do the basic window handling.. such as moving
windows (not resizing yet)
and closing windows and ofcourse... spawning windows.

the demo will spawn 3 windows. (one with the free memory, one totally empty
:], and one with
a bitmap of Shania Twain in it :]])

this whole application is based on the GWO unit with VESAUNIT.. the source
will be released
when I am done.. this is only a EXE with a bitmap.

here is the URL before I forget to mention it:

http://www.*-*-*.com/

Sat, 14 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 : only for the persons who are interested in Graphical Windows Objects (my GUI for FPC)

Quote:
>In my last post I said something about a GUI system. to prove that I was not
>talking SHIT i decided
>to compile my current work to something useable and release it on the NET..
>you can get the URL only from this newsgroup.. (since I am still developing
>my FPC Pascal Page :])

>this "demo" version can do the basic window handling.. such as moving
>windows (not resizing yet)
>and closing windows and ofcourse... spawning windows.

And produce errors :-)

Cannot initialize Graphics Windows Objects For FPC.
Hardware Device reported Failure.

Even with mode 1.

Platform: Windows 2000.

Sat, 14 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 : only for the persons who are interested in Graphical Windows Objects (my GUI for FPC)
Does'nt work on my machine...
Hmm..  Then again, I don't have the object file either?
-Mike
Quote:

> In my last post I said something about a GUI system. to prove that I was not
> talking SHIT i decided
> to compile my current work to something useable and release it on the NET..
> you can get the URL only from this newsgroup.. (since I am still developing
> my FPC Pascal Page :])

> this "demo" version can do the basic window handling.. such as moving
> windows (not resizing yet)
> and closing windows and ofcourse... spawning windows.

> the demo will spawn 3 windows. (one with the free memory, one totally empty
> :], and one with
> a bitmap of Shania Twain in it :]])

> this whole application is based on the GWO unit with VESAUNIT.. the source
> will be released
> when I am done.. this is only a EXE with a bitmap.

> here is the URL before I forget to mention it:

> http://www.santi.demon.nl/downloads/gwo.zip

Sat, 14 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 : only for the persons who are interested in Graphical Windows Objects (my GUI for FPC)

Quote:
> And produce errors :-)

> Cannot initialize Graphics Windows Objects For FPC.
> Hardware Device reported Failure.

> Even with mode 1.

> Platform: Windows 2000.

Got a question.. does you videocard support VBE2.0?

Sat, 14 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 : only for the persons who are interested in Graphical Windows Objects (my GUI for FPC)

Quote:
> And produce errors :-)

> Cannot initialize Graphics Windows Objects For FPC.
> Hardware Device reported Failure.

> Even with mode 1.

> Platform: Windows 2000.

Hmmmm.. I will recompile GWO with it's DEBUG flag on.. and upload it to

http://www.santi.demon.nl/downloads/gwodebug.zip

please run this application and post the LOG file.. so that I can see what
is going wrong..
note: the debug version requires GWO.ZIP to be installed (it's a little EXE
patch)

Sat, 14 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 : only for the persons who are interested in Graphical Windows Objects (my GUI for FPC)

Quote:

> > Platform: Windows 2000.

> Got a question.. does you videocard support VBE2.0?

That doesn't matter. Windows NT and Windows 2000 don't support VESA
modes for Dos programs, they only support standard VGA modes...

Jonas

Sat, 14 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 : only for the persons who are interested in Graphical Windows Objects (my GUI for FPC)

Quote:

> > > Platform: Windows 2000.

> > Got a question.. does you videocard support VBE2.0?

> That doesn't matter. Windows NT and Windows 2000 don't support VESA
> modes for Dos programs, they only support standard VGA modes...

NT 4 and Win2k both support VBE 2.0 under a DOS box - but only without LFB.
Because mapping memory to a single selector would threaten system security
and hence it is not allowed.

If you checked whether VBE LFB is actually available you'd notice that under
WinNT the BIOS does not report it to be available.
The DPMI function to map that area of physical memory to linear memory fails
too - so probably you are only not checking return values and erroring out
correctly.

You have to write banked mode stuff for this. For example the GraphiX
package demo programs run fine. Since LFB is not even mandatory with VBE 3
you may have to do this anyway to support older graphics cards.

But you may consider writing a native Win32 DirectDraw driver instead.

Regards,
    Thomas

Sat, 14 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 : only for the persons who are interested in Graphical Windows Objects (my GUI for FPC)

Quote:

> > > Got a question.. does you videocard support VBE2.0?

> > That doesn't matter. Windows NT and Windows 2000 don't support VESA
> > modes for Dos programs, they only support standard VGA modes...

> NT 4 and Win2k both support VBE 2.0 under a DOS box - but only without
LFB.
> Because mapping memory to a single selector would threaten system security
> and hence it is not allowed.

> If you checked whether VBE LFB is actually available you'd notice that
under
> WinNT the BIOS does not report it to be available.
> The DPMI function to map that area of physical memory to linear memory
fails
> too - so probably you are only not checking return values and erroring out
> correctly.

> You have to write banked mode stuff for this. For example the GraphiX
> package demo programs run fine. Since LFB is not even mandatory with VBE 3
> you may have to do this anyway to support older graphics cards.

> But you may consider writing a native Win32 DirectDraw driver instead.

> Regards,
>     Thomas

Yep, my application checks for LFB capability.. that's why it refuses to
run.
it doesn't runtime error out of it.. it just says it cannot initailize since
it cannot
use VBE2.0 LFB which is required for operation..

I am already creating a banked mode extensions for GWO, this was a
pre-pre-pre-pre-alpha version
of GWO.. so do not Expect to Much of it.

and you just gave me one MORE reason NOT to upgrade to Win2000 or WinNT.

Peter Out!

Sat, 14 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 : only for the persons who are interested in Graphical Windows Objects (my GUI for FPC)

Quote:
>> Cannot initialize Graphics Windows Objects For FPC.
>> Hardware Device reported Failure.

>> Even with mode 1.

>> Platform: Windows 2000.

>Got a question.. does you videocard support VBE2.0?

I believe so, but, mode 1 is not even vesa?

Or, it is a win2000 thingy.

Sun, 15 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 : only for the persons who are interested in Graphical Windows Objects (my GUI for FPC)

Quote:

> > That doesn't matter. Windows NT and Windows 2000 don't support VESA
> > modes for Dos programs, they only support standard VGA modes...

> NT 4 and Win2k both support VBE 2.0 under a DOS box - but only without LFB.
> Because mapping memory to a single selector would threaten system security
> and hence it is not allowed.

This is really not true. Last year, I spent weeks looking for a problem
in the windowed VESA graphics code of the PFC graph unit because I
couldn't get it to work under Windows NT 4 (service pack 3 or 4, don't
remember). In the end, I tried it finally under Win9x and Dos and there
it worked perfectly. Maybe it depends on the graphics card/driver?

Other programs which use VESA modes also don't work under WinNT (such
as the vgainfo program from vgadoc4)

Quote:
> If you checked whether VBE LFB is actually available you'd notice that under
> WinNT the BIOS does not report it to be available.
> The DPMI function to map that area of physical memory to linear memory fails
> too - so probably you are only not checking return values and erroring out
> correctly.

The current graph unit only uses linear VESA modes if windowed modes
are not available, because the routines for the latter are much more
optimized and tested currently.

Jonas

Sun, 15 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 : only for the persons who are interested in Graphical Windows Objects (my GUI for FPC)

Quote:

> > > That doesn't matter. Windows NT and Windows 2000 don't support VESA
> > > modes for Dos programs, they only support standard VGA modes...

> > NT 4 and Win2k both support VBE 2.0 under a DOS box - but only without
LFB.
> > Because mapping memory to a single selector would threaten system
security
> > and hence it is not allowed.

> This is really not true. Last year, I spent weeks looking for a problem
> in the windowed VESA graphics code of the PFC graph unit because I
> couldn't get it to work under Windows NT 4 (service pack 3 or 4, don't
> remember). In the end, I tried it finally under Win9x and Dos and there
> it worked perfectly. Maybe it depends on the graphics card/driver?

It must; I test my software under Windows 2000 Pro and my VESA unit works
fine (it ONLY supports linear, as I couldn't be bothered with bank switching
support at the time). Trying others, my card (Nvidia RIVA Vanta) works in
both windowed and linear for ALL supported modes - I have VBE 3.0 on card,
could this be it??

Sun, 15 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 : only for the persons who are interested in Graphical Windows Objects (my GUI for FPC)

Quote:

> > This is really not true. Last year, I spent weeks looking for a problem
> > in the windowed VESA graphics code of the PFC graph unit because I
> > couldn't get it to work under Windows NT 4 (service pack 3 or 4, don't
> > remember). In the end, I tried it finally under Win9x and Dos and there
> > it worked perfectly. Maybe it depends on the graphics card/driver?

> It must; I test my software under Windows 2000 Pro and my VESA unit works
> fine (it ONLY supports linear, as I couldn't be bothered with bank switching
> support at the time). Trying others, my card (Nvidia RIVA Vanta) works in
> both windowed and linear for ALL supported modes - I have VBE 3.0 on card,
> could this be it??

I doubt it, since WinNT/Win2k probably doesn't let you access the bios
directly, I think everything passes through the drivers (so it's mainly
a drivers thing I guess). Since the machines I tested it on were from
the university in student computer rooms, I doubt their graphics cards
were very advanced :)

Jonas

Sun, 15 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 : only for the persons who are interested in Graphical Windows Objects (my GUI for FPC)

Quote:
> >> Cannot initialize Graphics Windows Objects For FPC.
> >> Hardware Device reported Failure.

> >> Even with mode 1.

> >> Platform: Windows 2000.

> >Got a question.. does you videocard support VBE2.0?

> I believe so, but, mode 1 is not even vesa?

> Or, it is a win2000 thingy.

GWO initailly initializes in 640x400x256 LFB after that it switches to your
selected mode.

Sun, 15 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. I Am Interested in Pascal for Windows

2. Graphical GUI - simple and small one...

3. Person to Person

4. HELP: Turbo Pascal for Windows - Object Windows

5. I am Looking for TP under windows

6. GUI-how to design "graphical user interface" for databases ?

7. installation BP with object in windows 95

8. installation of bp with objects 7.0 in windows 95

9. Object Windows library tutorial

10. Object Windows library tutorial

11. Object Windows

12. TPW 1.5 Object Windows/That other stuff Tutorial