Turbo Pascal 1.5 with Win95/98
Author Message
 Turbo Pascal 1.5 with Win95/98

I have heard that Borland Turbo Pascal 1.5 for Windows only works with
windows 3.0 and 3.1.  Is this true?

Does it work with Win95 & Win98?

Thanks

Fri, 29 Dec 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Turbo Pascal 1.5 with Win95/98

P.F.D. schrieb:

Quote:
> I have heard that Borland Turbo Pascal 1.5 for Windows only works with
> windows 3.0 and 3.1.  Is this true?

> Does it work with Win95 & Win98?

> Thanks

  It seems to also work with Win95. I don't know about Win98.

Fri, 29 Dec 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Turbo Pascal 1.5 with Win95/98
I think that it work with win 95

Quote:
>I have heard that Borland Turbo Pascal 1.5 for Windows only works with
>windows 3.0 and 3.1.  Is this true?

>Does it work with Win95 & Win98?

>Thanks

Fri, 29 Dec 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Turbo Pascal 1.5 with Win95/98

Quote:

>I have heard that Borland Turbo Pascal 1.5 for Windows only works
with
>windows 3.0 and 3.1.  Is this true?

>Does it work with Win95 & Win98?

>Thanks

Most Win 3 programs, and DOS programs like BP (I don't use TPW) run
fine under Win95, but they are still Win 3 programs (e.g. won't
recognise long file names).

I have heard rumours that Win98 will no longer run 16-bit programs -
which is something c.l.p.b. readers need to know about, if it's true.
I only know one Win98 user, he *can* run 16-bit programs, including
DOS apps. However, he upgraded a Win95 machine and may have some old
DLLs lying around. So... has anyone direct experience of trying to run
16-bit apps on a Win98 machine that has never had Win95 or lower?

FP

Fri, 29 Dec 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Turbo Pascal 1.5 with Win95/98
Yes it will work with 98...98 IS 95 with some minor code
changes...everything from 95 WILL work in 98
Quote:

> P.F.D. schrieb:

> > I have heard that Borland Turbo Pascal 1.5 for Windows only works with
> > windows 3.0 and 3.1.  Is this true?

> > Does it work with Win95 & Win98?

> > Thanks

>   It seems to also work with Win95. I don't know about Win98.

Fri, 29 Dec 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Turbo Pascal 1.5 with Win95/98
Yes, it'll run in 98.  But to be honest with you,  Pascal for Windows is not
worth it. It's not that stable (I've found) as compared to Pascal for Dos
(7.0).  Besides,  it's less of a distraction to code in Dos.

Steve

Quote:

>I have heard that Borland Turbo Pascal 1.5 for Windows only works with
>windows 3.0 and 3.1.  Is this true?

>Does it work with Win95 & Win98?

>Thanks

Fri, 29 Dec 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Turbo Pascal 1.5 with Win95/98

Quote:
>I have heard rumours that Win98 will no longer run 16-bit programs -
>which is something c.l.p.b. readers need to know about, if it's true.
>I only know one Win98 user, he *can* run 16-bit programs, including
>DOS apps. However, he upgraded a Win95 machine and may have some old
>DLLs lying around. So... has anyone direct experience of trying to run
>16-bit apps on a Win98 machine that has never had Win95 or lower?

This absolutely cannot be true! Allthrought Microsoft could be so stupid to
make this kind of move, it would be reasnoble when thinking about marketing.
I think this rumour is related to 32 bit FAT. But then, it was allready
available on
win95 OSR2  ...

Ps. I installed win98 to machine wich had only dos 6.0 bare bones (cdrom
drivers,
himem.sys and partitioning tools) + some extra tools gathered during many
years and
after the installation, all dos tools seemed to work fine, (except those
wich used to read
FAT directly).

Sat, 30 Dec 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Turbo Pascal 1.5 with Win95/98

Quote:

>>I have heard rumours that Win98 will no longer run 16-bit programs -
>>So... has anyone direct experience of trying to run
>>16-bit apps on a Win98 machine that has never had Win95 or lower?

>This absolutely cannot be true! Allthrought Microsoft could be so
stupid to
>make this kind of move, it would be reasnoble when thinking about
marketing.
>I think this rumour is related to 32 bit FAT. But then, it was
allready
>available on
>win95 OSR2  ...
>Ps. I installed win98 to machine wich had only dos 6.0 bare bones
(cdrom
>drivers,

Looks like the rumour I heard was wrong then. That is excellent news!
I was getting worried that I would no longer be able to run BP7 (and
other programs) if I ever get a new computer at work (where I don't
have absolute discretion about what OS I use)!

Thanks

FP

Sat, 30 Dec 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Turbo Pascal 1.5 with Win95/98

Quote:

>>>I have heard rumours that Win98 will no longer run 16-bit programs -
>>>So... has anyone direct experience of trying to run
>>>16-bit apps on a Win98 machine that has never had Win95 or lower?

>>This absolutely cannot be true! Allthrought Microsoft could be so
>stupid to
>Looks like the rumour I heard was wrong then. That is excellent news!
>I was getting worried that I would no longer be able to run BP7 (and
>other programs) if I ever get a new computer at work (where I don't
>have absolute discretion about what OS I use)!

Your time is still numbered. Microsoft are no longer making new versions of
Windows, they are moving everything to NT, which isn't built on DOS and
probably won't have any form of DOS emulation at all by version 6.0, or
version 7.0 at the latest. Microsoft are trying everything to get people to
move away from DOS, like providing DirectX development tools and things free
for download. So, in a year or two, those of us with new OS's will be
looking for a Pascal for NT :(

--
Lors, Paradice Software
Christchurch, New Zealand

http://surf.to/paradice
Creators of the cool new graphical RPG, Hymn To Tourach.
--

Sun, 31 Dec 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Turbo Pascal 1.5 with Win95/98

Quote:
>So, in a year or two, those of us with new OS's will be
>looking for a Pascal for NT :(

I expect (and hope) that Delphi will still be around...

Adam.

Sun, 31 Dec 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Turbo Pascal 1.5 with Win95/98

Jul 1998 17:20:54 in comp.lang.pascal.borland, Adam Stevens <Adam.Steven

Quote:

>>So, in a year or two, those of us with new OS's will be
>>looking for a Pascal for NT :(

>I expect (and hope) that Delphi will still be around...

I don't yet have the capability of running Delphi, but is there some
simple way of converting the sort of BP program that runs unattended
from a command line to run as a true Delphi program - as Uses WinCrt
does in BP/BPW?

--

  Web <URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/> - TP/BP/&c.  FAQqish topics & links.

Sun, 31 Dec 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Turbo Pascal 1.5 with Win95/98

Quote:
>I don't yet have the capability of running Delphi, but is there some
>simple way of converting the sort of BP program that runs unattended
>from a command line to run as a true Delphi program - as Uses WinCrt
>does in BP/BPW?

I suppose it would depend on the program, whether you have units with
lots of assembler, things like that. Certainly it is possible to
compile programs with BP-style objects, and it is possible to compile
command-line programs using the command-line compiler DCC32 with the
switch -CC. For some reason the .EXE for
Begin
  Writeln('Hello, World');
End.
comes out at 15,360 bytes instead of 2,192 for BP 7. That's progress.
But at least it works.

  >c:\"program files\borland\delphi 3\bin\dcc32" -CC w.pas
  Delphi for Win32  Version 10.0  Copyright (c) 1983,97 Borland
International
  w.pas(4)
  5 lines, 0.07 seconds, 10188 bytes code, 1377 bytes data.
  C:\fp\Delphi\MISC 11:25:30.02 on Thu 07-16-1998
  Hello, World

FP

Mon, 01 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Turbo Pascal 1.5 with Win95/98
Yes, no problem !    :-)

But your programs will always be a 16bit program.
To deal with 32 bit information inside requires difficult walk-arounds.

Quote:
> I have heard that Borland Turbo Pascal 1.5 for Windows only works with
> windows 3.0 and 3.1.  Is this true?

> Does it work with Win95 & Win98?

> Thanks

Mon, 01 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Turbo Pascal 1.5 with Win95/98

Quote:

>Yes, it'll run in 98.  But to be honest with you,  Pascal for Windows is
not
>worth it. It's not that stable (I've found) as compared to Pascal for Dos
>(7.0).  Besides,  it's less of a distraction to code in Dos.

>Steve

Let me recommend the program System Commander, which allows you to boot in
to whatever OS you want on boot-up (DOS, WINxx, OS/2, UNIX, etc).
Set aside some 50 mB on your hard drive and use it for good ol' DOS 6.22 and
our beloved TurboPascal.

{*filter*} Bill Gates!

Tue, 02 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Turbo Pascal 1.5 with Win95/98

2. Heap Problem in Turbo Pascal 1.5 on Win95

3. need turbo pascal 1.5 for win95

4. turbo pascal 1.5 & win95

5. Win95 and Turbo Pascal 1.5

6. extend borland pascal to long filenames and use of win95/98/me/xp filedialogs

7. Runnuing Turbo Pascal 7.0 in Windows 98

8. DOS Turbo Pascal .vs. Windows 98

9. Turbo Pascal 6.0 and Windows 98

10. Missing PRNFLTR for Turbo Pascal 7.0 on Windows 95/98

11. Rotate/Flip a Metafile [Win95/98] ?

12. Win95/98 and D3-Paradox