Full-featured debugger, and pretty-printer, for GNU Pascal (gpc)
Author Message
 Full-featured debugger, and pretty-printer, for GNU Pascal (gpc)

A colleague here has some legacy Pascal programs has successfully
compiled and run them with GNU Pascal (version 2.1) on Linux. He wants
to extend them, but now wishes to use a de{*filter*}. We have gdb 5.2.
What is the current status of GNU Pascal and gdb? I gather it doesn't
correctly display Pascal source, or read it in queries.

He would also like to pretty-print his programs. I've suggested `a2p
--pretty-print=pascal', but I think he'd like to replace his sources
with pretty-printed ones and a2ps only produces pretty-printed
listings, so far as I can tell.

Can anyone recommend any GUI Integrated Development Environments
(IDEs) for Pascal on Linux?

Or should he be using Free Pascal?

John A. Murdie
Department of Computer Science
University of York
UK

Sat, 15 Oct 2005 00:59:56 GMT
 Full-featured debugger, and pretty-printer, for GNU Pascal (gpc)
I would recommend RHIDE   http://www.*-*-*.com/

I've been using it, it's customizable to adapt to compilers, already full
GNU compliant (DJGPP for DOS, GNU C and GNU C++) and the likes plus it
already has an optiong for PASCAL in there (for syntax highlighting).

Stephane Richard
Software Developer

Quote:
> A colleague here has some legacy Pascal programs has successfully
> compiled and run them with GNU Pascal (version 2.1) on Linux. He wants
> to extend them, but now wishes to use a de{*filter*}. We have gdb 5.2.
> What is the current status of GNU Pascal and gdb? I gather it doesn't
> correctly display Pascal source, or read it in queries.

> He would also like to pretty-print his programs. I've suggested `a2p
> --pretty-print=pascal', but I think he'd like to replace his sources
> with pretty-printed ones and a2ps only produces pretty-printed
> listings, so far as I can tell.

> Can anyone recommend any GUI Integrated Development Environments
> (IDEs) for Pascal on Linux?

> Or should he be using Free Pascal?

> John A. Murdie
> Department of Computer Science
> University of York
> UK

Sat, 15 Oct 2005 01:25:27 GMT
 Full-featured debugger, and pretty-printer, for GNU Pascal (gpc)

[I use FPC myself]

Quote:
> A colleague here has some legacy Pascal programs has successfully
> compiled and run them with GNU Pascal (version 2.1) on Linux. He wants
> to extend them, but now wishes to use a de{*filter*}. We have gdb 5.2.
> What is the current status of GNU Pascal and gdb? I gather it doesn't
> correctly display Pascal source, or read it in queries.

GDB supports pascal. Try to get a as new version as possble. This goes for both
FPC and GPC.  It is already much better, though 5.2 should already suffice.

Make sure you use the appopriate GPC libraries and options to compile with debugging
information.

Quote:
> He would also like to pretty-print his programs. I've suggested `a2p
> --pretty-print=pascal', but I think he'd like to replace his sources
> with pretty-printed ones and a2ps only produces pretty-printed
> listings, so far as I can tell.

FPC has a simple tool, ptop, which you could try to use for GPC sources too.

Quote:
> Can anyone recommend any GUI Integrated Development Environments
> (IDEs) for Pascal on Linux?

FPC has an IDE (mimicing TP's IDE).

There also is a RAD/GUI IDE in beta, and while not really ready, it can already be
useful for designing visual interfaces. (see lazarus.freepascal.org)

Quote:
> Or should he be using Free Pascal?

IMHO mostly yes, but probably not as far as debugging with GDB is concerned.
FPC probably is ahead with debugging support I think, but probably not much.

The compiler choice depends on the nature of his work.  Kylix (Borland's
payware IDE) might also be an option.

- If he does high performance numeric work, he might be better off with GPC. It still
  optimizes better in certain cases.
- If he wants to work for multiple architectures, GPC is still ahead, though FPC
  is making efforts in this direction too.
- For language compability with Delphi and most Borland tools, take FPC
- For best 3rd party unit support the order is FPC,GPC.

In general it is hard to say, and I'm of course biassed. Trying both is the
best way to make a choice I think

Sat, 15 Oct 2005 02:12:36 GMT

1. HELP : I Need Pascal Pretty Printer

2. ANNOUNCE: GNU Pascal beta version gpc-19990118

3. ANNOUNCE: GNU Pascal beta version gpc-19990118

4. crtbegin.o not found builiding gcc-2.7.2.1 for GNU pascal compiler gpc

5. i need GNU PASCAL (GPC) reference

6. GPC (gnu-pascal) irix-5.3-binaries wanted

7. GNU PASCAL COMPILER (GPC) REFERENCE

8. Petty/Pretty Printer needed

9. looking for pretty printer for UNIX

10. Full featuring editing for DBMemo ??

11. gnu gpc build patch for egcs 2.95.2

12. file problem with gnu-gpc