Simple Stuff
Author Message
 Simple Stuff

Hail, o ye wise and omnipotent Pascal gurus.

I have a question, although a very simple one, I am a very simple programmer,
(I am trying to learn the language, but I have nobody to teach me.  I am sure
you know how that goes)

I want to have a bunch of variables (names as it where, as in say, a
database).  The number of possible names is theoreticaly infinite.  But it
could be only one as well.  I want to be able to move these names around like
variables. (Matching names with other names, giving names certain attributes,
etc.) I know it is possible, bu t I just can't figure it out.  Help, please?

TTYL,
Faust

         Sent via ExpressNet/SMTP(tm), Internet Gateway of the Gods!
               ExpressNet/SMTP (c)1994-95 Delphic Software, Inc.

Tue, 15 Dec 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Simple Stuff

Quote:

>Hail, o ye wise and omnipotent pascal gurus.
>I have a question, although a very simple one, I am a very simple programmer,
>(I am trying to learn the language, but I have nobody to teach me.  I am sure
>you know how that goes)
>I want to have a bunch of variables (names as it where, as in say, a
>database).  The number of possible names is theoreticaly infinite.  But it
>could be only one as well.  I want to be able to move these names around like
>variables. (Matching names with other names, giving names certain attributes,
>etc.) I know it is possible, bu t I just can't figure it out.  Help, please?
>TTYL,
>Faust

Not being sure what your end use is, I suggest you look into linked
lists. Once you learn how to make them, they are easy to use for
sorting alphabetically, etc. Since they are also records, you can have
fields for telephone numbers, addresses, etc. You can continue to add
to these dynamic lists as well as delete individual records. You can
store the end result on disk (without the pointers) and retrieve it
while making pointers again. Although this topic is somewhat advanced
and frequently hard to find just what you want, it is a useful dynamic
entity that can be used like a variable.

Regards,

P.S. I have a very easy way of making such lists if you are
interested.

Fri, 18 Dec 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. memory alocation, the heap and stuff...

2. HELP: Int 21h stuff and/or doskey sorse

3. HELP Text Capture Stuff

4. VESA under DPMI...Please no Real Mode Stuff

5. easy stuff with a combobox ...

6. Best way to do timing stuff?

7. Video stuff

8. Help with randomizing stuff

9. 2d array file stuff ..thanks

10. ReportSmith and stuff

11. Help doing database stuff with Delphi

12. Del;phi's defaulted Database stuff