passwords
Author Message
 passwords

hi

i need to write a password protection screen into my a-level project. what i
need to know is how do i ask for a password, and let the user type the
password in, without displaying what the user is typing in? i have seen this
done somewhere, but i cant remember where! ive checked the FAQs and a couple
of user guides, but can find nothing on the subject, maybe ive missed it?
i think i can cope with the rest of this password thing, apart from maybe
encryption! but i think as far as a-level projects go, that can wait for
another day!

thanks a lot

craig hennessey

http://www.*-*-*.com/

Wed, 26 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 passwords
I am doing A Level computing myself. A dirty cheap way of overcoming this is
to set the text to the color of the background, so the text is not readable.
This way they can not see the password being entered. If you want to do it
another way hiding it with **** then you need to find out about keypress,
read about it in the contents (Pascal 7.0 Help).

Dave

Quote:
> hi

> i need to write a password protection screen into my a-level project. what
> need to know is how do i ask for a password, and let the user type the
> password in, without displaying what the user is typing in? i have seen
this
> done somewhere, but i cant remember where! ive checked the FAQs and a
couple
> of user guides, but can find nothing on the subject, maybe ive missed it?
> i think i can cope with the rest of this password thing, apart from maybe
> encryption! but i think as far as a-level projects go, that can wait for
> another day!

> thanks a lot

> craig hennessey

> http://www.craighennessey.co.uk

Wed, 26 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 passwords
the way i saw it done, was to turn off writing to the screen completly,
using a function included in tp 5.5. you could then, for every letter
entered into the password, create and display an asterisk.
by the way, how do you set the colour? (and initialize graphics drivers)??

thanx

craig hennessey

http://www.craighennessey.co.uk

Quote:
> I am doing A Level computing myself. A dirty cheap way of overcoming this
is
> to set the text to the color of the background, so the text is not
readable.
> This way they can not see the password being entered. If you want to do it
> another way hiding it with **** then you need to find out about keypress,
> read about it in the contents (pascal 7.0 Help).

> Dave

> > hi

> > i need to write a password protection screen into my a-level project.
what
> > need to know is how do i ask for a password, and let the user type the
> > password in, without displaying what the user is typing in? i have seen
> this
> > done somewhere, but i cant remember where! ive checked the FAQs and a
> couple
> > of user guides, but can find nothing on the subject, maybe ive missed
it?
> > i think i can cope with the rest of this password thing, apart from
maybe
> > encryption! but i think as far as a-level projects go, that can wait for
> > another day!

> > thanks a lot

> > craig hennessey

> > http://www.craighennessey.co.uk

Thu, 27 Mar 2003 07:07:52 GMT
 passwords
uses crt;
begin
    TextBackground (MyColor);

Hope this helps.
Berkeley Davis

Quote:
> the way i saw it done, was to turn off writing to the screen completly,
> using a function included in tp 5.5. you could then, for every letter
> entered into the password, create and display an asterisk.
> by the way, how do you set the colour? (and initialize graphics drivers)??

> thanx

> craig hennessey

> http://www.craighennessey.co.uk

> > I am doing A Level computing myself. A dirty cheap way of overcoming
this
> is
> > to set the text to the color of the background, so the text is not
> readable.
> > This way they can not see the password being entered. If you want to do
it
> > another way hiding it with **** then you need to find out about
keypress,
> > read about it in the contents (pascal 7.0 Help).

> > Dave

> > > hi

> > > i need to write a password protection screen into my a-level project.
> what
> > > need to know is how do i ask for a password, and let the user type the
> > > password in, without displaying what the user is typing in? i have
seen
> > this
> > > done somewhere, but i cant remember where! ive checked the FAQs and a
> > couple
> > > of user guides, but can find nothing on the subject, maybe ive missed
> it?
> > > i think i can cope with the rest of this password thing, apart from
> maybe
> > > encryption! but i think as far as a-level projects go, that can wait
for
> > > another day!

> > > thanks a lot

> > > craig hennessey

> > > http://www.craighennessey.co.uk

Thu, 27 Mar 2003 12:13:56 GMT
 passwords
On Sun, 8 Oct 2000 00:07:52 +0100, Craig Hennessey posted:

Quote:
>the way i saw it done, was to turn off writing to the screen completly,
>using a function included in tp 5.5. you could then, for every letter
>entered into the password, create and display an asterisk.
>by the way, how do you set the colour? (and initialize graphics drivers)??

Look at the TextColor() function (or something like that).  You don't need
graphics for color text.

--

Thu, 27 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 passwords

Quote:
> i need to write a password protection screen into my a-level project. what i
> need to know is how do i ask for a password, and let the user type the
> password in, without displaying what the user is typing in? i have seen this
> done somewhere, but i cant remember where! ive checked the FAQs and a couple
> of user guides, but can find nothing on the subject, maybe ive missed it?
> i think i can cope with the rest of this password thing, apart from maybe
> encryption! but i think as far as a-level projects go, that can wait for
> another day!

Look up help for keypressed and readkey

--

Thu, 27 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 passwords

crossposted to borland.public.turbopascal,comp.lang.pascal.ansi-
iso,comp.lang.pascal.borland,comp.lang.pascal.misc, Craig Hennessey

Quote:

>i need to write a password protection screen into my a-level project. what i
>need to know is how do i ask for a password, and let the user type the
>password in, without displaying what the user is typing in? i have seen this
>done somewhere, but i cant remember where! ive checked the FAQs and a couple
>of user guides, but can find nothing on the subject, maybe ive missed it?
>i think i can cope with the rest of this password thing, apart from maybe
>encryption! but i think as far as a-level projects go, that can wait for
>another day!

You have posted to far too many newsgroups.

borland.* groups ask for no cross-posting, and you are using an

NGs re-ordered.

You have not specified which dialect of Pascal you are using, and you
have posted to three non-overlapping groups in comp.*; PFOWYADBYDI.

You appear to have been rather ineffective at checking the FAQs, since
this question is answered in TSFAQP #38 (which FAQ, IIRC, you have
already been advised to study & keep a copy of), and can be found there
by a search for "password".

The solution in TSFAQP is far better than any colour-changing one; with
those, the password may be disclosed later by "screen-scraping" unless
it is over-written or scrolled off.

My http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/pas-extn.htm includes a way of
performing a character read without using ReadKey or Crt.  Extension to
displaying stars is easy enough, if the display supports #8 which I
think it will.

FU clpb only.

--

 Web <URL: http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/> - FAQish topics, acronyms, & links.
 Proper 4-line sig. separator is as above, a line exactly "-- " (SonOfRFC1036)

Thu, 27 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT

1. DBE Passwords

2. Passwords????

3. Creating Paradox Tables with Passwords

4. Adding Paradox table passwords - Delphi 1.0

5. Passwords problems with Paradox-tables (*** fieldrights ***)

6. User Name & Password

7. DbiDoRestructure- Adding passwords to paradox tables

8. Report Component w password in table

9. Using ADO with Encrypted/Password Protected Access databases

10. Progrmatically creating table with password protection/referential integrity?

11. UserName & Password control with MS SQL7

12. Password change in BDE?