Local SQL v.s MS SQL Server
Author Message
 Local SQL v.s MS SQL Server

Does any one knows whether Delphi's Local SQL is compatible with MS SQL
Server.

As my experience , when you create a Blob Field using SQL , it is not
compatible.

for example

in delphi ,

create table TableName
(
     name char(12),
     picture blob(1,5)
)

in MS SQL Server

create table TableName
(
     name char(12),
     picture image
)

How can I avoid it , and makes my app compatible accross different database
server ?

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Local SQL v.s MS SQL Server

Quote:
>Does any one knows whether Delphi's Local SQL is compatible with MS SQL
>Server.

>As my experience , when you create a Blob Field using SQL , it is not
>compatible.

>for example

>in Delphi ,

>create table TableName
>(
>     name char(12),
>     picture blob(1,5)
>)

>in MS SQL Server

>create table TableName
>(
>     name char(12),
>     picture image
>)

>How can I avoid it , and makes my app compatible accross different database
>server ?

Local SQL is a subset of SQL-92. But when it comes to creating tables
specialized Binary Large OBject column types (BLOB and CLOB), you will find
unreconcilable differences between the syntax of most database systems --
not just between local SQL and Microsoft SQL Server. While standards for
the SQL language have been established, there are no laws forcing software
developers to follow them (completely, partially, or at all). This is just
one area the SQL programmer has to get used to and deal with as best they
can.

                                                              -- Redd Foxx

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Local SQL v.s MS SQL Server

Quote:
> Does any one knows whether Delphi's Local SQL is compatible with MS SQL
> Server.

No. Don't compare apples with pears. Delphi's Local SQL is an abstraction
layer over simple tables. SQL Server is a database server. You found one
syntax difference. This will be the same with SQL Server / Informix. But you
have to choice between the power of a database server and the no-charge BDE.
If man power is a cost, SQL Server can be the cheaper one.

Quote:
> How can I avoid it , and makes my app compatible accross different
database
> server ?

If you need it, take as little as possible. Ignore most benefits and code
all by hand. If someone pays for you, compare the license cost for a server
with your salary.

Regards

Helge

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. Using LOCAL-SQL or Transact-SQL with SQL-server and BDE

2. SQL Databases - MS Sql Server 7 vs. Interbase

3. SQL Links problem with MS SQL Server

4. MS SQL Server -TCP - SQL Links

5. SQL-Link fur MS-SQL SERVER

6. SQL Links and MS SQL Server

7. MS SQL Server - ODBC vs SQL Links

8. Borland Interbase Server vs MS SQL Server

9. MS-SQL server 6.5 vs Interbase server ???

10. HELP!! Using Embedded SQL with Interbase Local Server

11. Delphi, Local Interbase and SQL Server

12. Local Sql-Server ?