REPLACE Platform->VO WITH Platform->Delphi
Author Message
 REPLACE Platform->VO WITH Platform->Delphi

Hi everyone.  I'm new to delphi and will begin converting an existing
application from CA-Visual Objects to Delphi C/S 3.0.  If there is anyone
who can recommend a good book on learning Delphi (especially in light of my
past experience with VO), I'd be grateful to hear from you.  If there are
any past Clipper or VO programmers checking this newsgroup,  it would be
very good to hear from you.

What I've seen so far doesn't look very intimidating, but I'm a little
squeamish about switching to a different product.

In addition to our conversion, we are migrating from DBF files to a Sybase
server.  This should make things a little more interesting.  We plan to
completely re-engineer the app, and we are looking for  a good CASE tool to
help us along.

Thank you in any case.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 REPLACE Platform->VO WITH Platform->Delphi

Quote:
>Hi everyone.  I'm new to Delphi and will begin converting an existing
>application from CA-Visual Objects to Delphi C/S 3.0.  If there is anyone
>who can recommend a good book on learning Delphi (especially in light of my
>past experience with VO), I'd be grateful to hear from you.  If there are
>any past Clipper or VO programmers checking this newsgroup,  it would be
>very good to hear from you.

I still use Clipper for the little bit of DOS work I still do and looked
at VO and found it lacking (it is not full 32-bit for a start). The main
problem I have with Delphi is IDAPI and the BDE which, while they work
resonably well, are definitely fringe products that suffer from lack of
third party support and, in my experience, flakey ODBC drivers (in the
16-bit incarnation). Borland's Visual dBase is a good bet for anyone
used to writing xBase code (this also uses BDE/IDAPI). I should think as
a VO programmer you will find BDE / IDAPI mainstream and well supported.

Quote:
>What I've seen so far doesn't look very intimidating, but I'm a little
>squeamish about switching to a different product.

Delphi is a nice environment to write code in. You might also look at
Visual Basic which has pretty good database support and a good language
with incomplete object-orientation. You might also consider JAVA. There
are plenty of Delphi books to choose from (I only found 2 for VO). Take
some time to browse in a bookshop.

Quote:
>In addition to our conversion, we are migrating from DBF files to a Sybase
>server.  This should make things a little more interesting.  We plan to
>completely re-engineer the app, and we are looking for  a good CASE tool to
>help us along.

My guess is that you will have to go along the ODBC route but there
should be few problems with the SYBASE ODBC drivers.

Mark

--
Mark Myatt

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. Delphi>>>>>>>

2. IIS->ISAPI->Delphi DLL->BDE->Paradox

4. HELP ME PLEASE I NEED HELP ON PROGRAMMING THIS>>>>|||

5. HELP>>HELP>>Using an Index for an MSSQL database

6. delphi, java and cross-platform

7. <><><> www.FotoCD.net <><><>

8. PreAnnounce: >>>RimFIRE!>>> automated table-structure synchronization tool

9. In Search of WinUnits >>>

10. :>>>Use mouse in Pascal<<<:

11. How to convert from Oracle platform to Sybase platform ?

12. TurboVision ->> Delphi wrapper