Desperately seeking database
Author Message
 Desperately seeking database

Before very long I'm going to have to take the plunge and actually
buy a server RDBMS. I've looked at InterBase, Oracle and Gupta
SQL Base. I looked at those as I happen to have demo versions to
hand. The more I look, the harder the decision becomes.

The application I will be building will be used by a small workgroup,
perhaps between two and five users. More than ten is highly unlikely.
The database will be fairly small -- I doubt it will ever exceed
100Mb and 50Mb will be typical.

The server will be running on Novell Netware.

Oracle is tempting 'cos there's a lot to be said for sticking with
the winners: it's probably the only database company that most
ordinary users have heard of. The problem is, the smallest package
Oracle sell is a five user license costing UKP 1,300. My smaller
clients are going to be wasting three licenses. Oracle tell me I
would get a discount if I became an 'Oracle Pertner'. They couldn't
tell me much more about what this involves. Does anyone out there
have experience of being a Partner ? What does it involve ? Is it
worth it ?

InterBase is OK and I like the idea of a single source for the client
and server tools. But InterBase is also rather expensive at UKP 900
for a two user licanse and around UKP 300 for each additional user.

I don't know how much SQL base costs, but I dismissed it as it doesn't
have triggers.

I'd like to look at Informix, but I don't have a contact and don't know
if they do a demo version I can evaluate without paying for the full
thing. I've heard Informix has some {*filter*} habits like 'dirty reads',
but I have no experience of it.

I'd also like to look at MS SQL Server. Do they do a Novell version ? I
wouldn't be surprised if they didn't.

Are there any others I should be looking at ? The criteria are:

1) Work with delphi (naturally!) and preferably Borland SQL links.

2) Small workgroup, up to ten concurrent users.

3) Novell Netware (I don't have a choice about this, several
potential customers already have Netware).

4) A 'proper' SQL Server, not an overgrown desktop database.

5) Reasonable retail price with a two-user version available. I
think UKP 250 per user is reasonable.

6) My client software will be running on Windows 3.1 and Windows
95. Windows 95 seems to be a problem for Oracle...

7) The end users will typically have very little computing
experience. They need to be able to run day-to-day jobs like
starting the server and backing up the database without needing a
BSc and four weeks training.

Initially, I'll need a two user version for development. The cost
of this is coming out of my pocket (Plexus is a one man company),
so I want to be as sure as I can that I'm buying the right one.

Plexus Systems Ltd.                             Reading, Berkshire, UK

Sun, 14 Jun 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Desperately seeking database

Quote:

> Before very long I'm going to have to take the plunge and actually
> buy a server RDBMS. I've looked at InterBase, Oracle and Gupta
> SQL Base. I looked at those as I happen to have demo versions to
> hand. The more I look, the harder the decision becomes.

> The application I will be building will be used by a small workgroup,
> perhaps between two and five users. More than ten is highly unlikely.
> The database will be fairly small -- I doubt it will ever exceed
> 100Mb and 50Mb will be typical.

> The server will be running on Novell Netware.

I was in the same situation as you. Less than 10 users at a time.

I chose Interbase 4.0
I contacted Oracle, Microsoft and Borland.

Prize wise turned Borland out best. This was for NT (I don't know how that would be for Novell).

Interbase 4.0 for NT costs appr. 900 in Norway for a 2 user development.
Because of the incompetence of Norway noone wanted to sell me Interbase for NT (If I chose Novell
or UNIX they would - I hope that has changed now) so I ordered it directly from USA. I paid 650
US Dollar. Which was less than half the prize of Norway. (he, he - Thanx for not selling me one
:) ).
I've heard the 10 user licence costs 1600 US Dollar in the USA.

It took me 20 minuttes to install Interbase and it's been running since (that was september 1.).
I am very satisfied with Interbase and would recommend that one.

It works well with Delphi.There is also a ODBC driver with Borland Database Engine so u don't
actually need SQL Links even though SQL links are faster.

Queries and Stored procedures works fine.

I've had no problems running from windows 95.

Mail me if u have further questions.

Hans.

Sat, 20 Jun 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Desperately seeking database

Quote:

> Before very long I'm going to have to take the plunge and actually
> buy a server RDBMS. I've looked at InterBase, Oracle and Gupta
> SQL Base. I looked at those as I happen to have demo versions to
> hand. The more I look, the harder the decision becomes.

> The application I will be building will be used by a small workgroup,
> perhaps between two and five users. More than ten is highly unlikely.
> The database will be fairly small -- I doubt it will ever exceed
> 100Mb and 50Mb will be typical.

> The server will be running on Novell Netware.

I was in the same situation as u. Less than 10 users.

I contacted Oracle, Microsoft and Borland.

Prize wise Borland turned best out. In Norway Interbase 4.0 costs 900. But because of the
incompetence of Norway noone wanted to sell me Interbase for NT (If I chose Novell or UNIX
they would) so I bought it directly form Borland USA. There it costs 650 US Dollar, which is
less than half price of Norway. (Thanx for not selling me :) ). A 10 user licence costs 1600
US Dollars.

I'm very satisfied with Interbase 4.0 It took me 20 minuttes to install it (which I consider
as very fast) and it's been running since (september 1.). I would recommend it.

Included in Borland Database Engine is a ODBC-driver so u actually don't need the SQL Links
even though the SQL Links are faster.

I've had no problems with Interbase and Windows 95.

Mail me if u have further questions.
Hans

Sat, 20 Jun 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Desperately seeking database

Quote:

> > Before very long I'm going to have to take the plunge and actually
> > buy a server RDBMS. I've looked at InterBase, Oracle and Gupta
> > SQL Base. I looked at those as I happen to have demo versions to
> > hand. The more I look, the harder the decision becomes.

> > The application I will be building will be used by a small workgroup,
> > perhaps between two and five users. More than ten is highly unlikely.
> > The database will be fairly small -- I doubt it will ever exceed
> > 100Mb and 50Mb will be typical.

> > The server will be running on Novell Netware.

> I was in the same situation as you. Less than 10 users at a time.

> I chose Interbase 4.0
> I contacted Oracle, Microsoft and Borland.

> Prize wise turned Borland out best. This was for NT (I don't know how that would be for Novell).

> Interbase 4.0 for NT costs appr. 900 in Norway for a 2 user development.
> Because of the incompetence of Norway noone wanted to sell me Interbase for NT (If I chose Novell
> or UNIX they would - I hope that has changed now) so I ordered it directly from USA. I paid 650
> US Dollar. Which was less than half the prize of Norway. (he, he - Thanx for not selling me one
> :) ).
> I've heard the 10 user licence costs 1600 US Dollar in the USA.

> It took me 20 minuttes to install Interbase and it's been running since (that was september 1.).
> I am very satisfied with Interbase and would recommend that one.

> It works well with Delphi.There is also a ODBC driver with Borland Database Engine so u don't
> actually need SQL Links even though SQL links are faster.

> Queries and Stored procedures works fine.

> I've had no problems running from windows 95.

> Mail me if u have further questions.

> Hans.

Someone play a practical joke and changed the settings on my Netscape
news reader. Sorry for the inconvinience.
It should be:
Hans G. Jorgensen

Sat, 20 Jun 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Desperately seeking database

Quote:

>Before very long I'm going to have to take the plunge and actually
>buy a server RDBMS. I've looked at InterBase, Oracle and Gupta
>SQL Base. I looked at those as I happen to have demo versions to
>hand. The more I look, the harder the decision becomes.

>The application I will be building will be used by a small workgroup,
>perhaps between two and five users. More than ten is highly unlikely.
>The database will be fairly small -- I doubt it will ever exceed
>100Mb and 50Mb will be typical.

>The server will be running on Novell Netware.

>1) Work with Delphi (naturally!) and preferably Borland SQL links.

>2) Small workgroup, up to ten concurrent users.

>3) Novell Netware (I don't have a choice about this, several
>potential customers already have Netware).

>4) A 'proper' SQL Server, not an overgrown desktop database.

>5) Reasonable retail price with a two-user version available. I
>think UKP 250 per user is reasonable.

>6) My client software will be running on Windows 3.1 and Windows
>95. Windows 95 seems to be a problem for Oracle...

>7) The end users will typically have very little computing
>experience. They need to be able to run day-to-day jobs like
>starting the server and backing up the database without needing a
>BSc and four weeks training.

>Initially, I'll need a two user version for development. The cost
>of this is coming out of my pocket (Plexus is a one man company),
>so I want to be as sure as I can that I'm buying the right one.

>Plexus Systems Ltd.                             Reading, Berkshire, UK

Don't knock your self out.  Use standard Delphi desktop with Paradox
tables.  The could be set as networked without much fanfare and will
support efficiently 20 - 25 users.  If Novell is not so dear to your
you might consider Windows NT Server 3.51.  The advantage is that if
you use the NTFS file system you can have commit and rollback - the
main feature of SQL Server - from NT.  It is also easier to set up,
maintain and what you mentioned backups Although you can backup Novell
files just as easy from a workstation you can do the same with NT from
either the server or the workstation.  It is also much simpler with NT
to back up the server by setting up a timed i.e. when no one is present
without requiring a workstation to stay open.  Hope this answers your
question.  If you have anything further please EMail me.
Ben
Arrow Software
Brooklyn, NY

Sun, 21 Jun 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Desperately seeking database

writes

Quote:
>If Novell is not so dear to your
>you might consider Windows NT Server 3.51.

I'd rather use Windows NT, but as several potential clients already have
Netware, I'm stuck with it. Several are hostile to NT and claim the
performance is poor. I don't know if that's true as I haven't compared
NT and Netware on similar machines.

Plexus Systems Ltd.                             Reading, Berkshire, UK

Mon, 22 Jun 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Desperately seeking database

Quote:
>The application I will be building will be used by a small workgroup,
>perhaps between two and five users. More than ten is highly unlikely.
>The database will be fairly small -- I doubt it will ever exceed
>100Mb and 50Mb will be typical.

>The server will be running on Novell Netware.

My opinion is that you do not need a database server.  I have an
installation in place with over 400 megabytes of data with 25 users..
 The client has never waited over a second to retrieve any volume of
information.  The key is good database design.  Pay careful attention
to the structure of the tables and especially secondard indexes.

Mike

Mon, 22 Jun 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Desperately seeking database

: >
: >
: >----------------------------------------------------------------------

[...]

Can you give me any details on how to achieve a commit or rollback in Paradox
running in an NT environment? I think that I read lately that commits and
rollbacks in NTFS differ in results from commits and rollbacks as provided by
database servers. As I have no experience with NT but am planning to get it,
any comment is appreciated.

                Best regards,

                                Andy

Sun, 28 Jun 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Desperately seeking database
Hi there, I hope that someone can help me ?

I am trying to create an interface for a DB, in Delphi.
At the moment, I have a table in Paradox, and can read this ok. But I cannot
type in SQL statements and read and parse these in Delphi.

I know that the Database Desktop Manager is useful, but I have to use the
technique where the user types in SQL, and the Delphi program does the
equivalent action(s).

PLEASE HELP !! URGENT.

TIPU S AHMAD

Fri, 03 Jul 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Desperately seeking database
Hi there, I hope that someone can help me ?

I am trying to create an interface for a DB, in Delphi.
At the moment, I have a table in Paradox, and can read this ok. But I cannot
type in SQL statements and read and parse these in Delphi.

I know that the Database Desktop Manager is useful, but I have to use the
technique where the user types in SQL, and the Delphi program does the
equivalent action(s).

PLEASE HELP !! URGENT.

TIPU S AHMAD

Fri, 03 Jul 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Desperately seeking database

Quote:
>Hi there, I hope that someone can help me ?

>I am trying to create an interface for a DB, in Delphi.
>At the moment, I have a table in Paradox, and can read this ok. But I cannot
>type in SQL statements and read and parse these in Delphi.

>I know that the Database Desktop Manager is useful, but I have to use the
>technique where the user types in SQL, and the Delphi program does the
>equivalent action(s).

>PLEASE HELP !! URGENT.

>TIPU S AHMAD

I wouldn't expect a user to type in SQL myself but all you need to do
is give the user a memo field to type the SQL into and then copy it to
the SQL property of a TQuery object. Open the Query and process the
results.

--
Donald Oddy
Grove Systems Ltd.                                    0161-224 4465

Sun, 05 Jul 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. Desperately seeking the Delphi Developers Guide CD

2. Desperately seeking software

3. Desperately seeking an Editor Object for files >64k for BP7.0

4. Desperately seeking code to view GIF/PCX files.

5. Desperately looking for Database Toolbox

6. DESPERATELY NEED HELP WITH SECONDARY INDEXES AND CHILD DATABASES

7. Seek for E-mannual for database in Delphi

8. Opinions sought on database/index corruption

9. seeking programming partner for existing pascal database application

10. MIT software guru, database expert, seeks offsite work

11. Seeking "VB Web Database" mentors

12. AsDate/AsDateTime help needed _desperately_