Delphi ODBC connection to server DB..pls help!
Author Message
 Delphi ODBC connection to server DB..pls help!

: I am attempting to use delphi C/S to access a database server via ODBC.
: (The server is RedBrick).

Because this is ODBC access, the situation would be the same with the
Desktop version of Delphi, and so this should not be a consideration
or contributing factor to the problem.

: Having created a ODBC alias, I can browse and view the tables from within
: DatabaseDesktop. In addition, I can do the same from design mode in
: delphi. ie. Dropping TTable/TDatasource components and viewing tables
: etc. HOWEVER, when I run the program, I am prompted for the logon name
: and password, but then the system hangs.

Does the server or the ODBC driver allow multiple, simultaneous connect-
ions to the database? Or, put another way, are you running the appl-
ication from the IDE and with the TTable component (or TQuery) active?
If so, this would result in two connections, one from the IDE (for your
design-time data viewing) and the other from the resulting executable.
If this is the problem, it should not occur if you close Delphi and run
the EXE from File Manager or Program Manager. The solution would be to
have the TTable component's Active property set to False at design-time,
and set it to true in an OnShow event procedure of the containing TForm.

_/ Steve Koterski               _/   The opinions expressed here are    _/

Sat, 07 Feb 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Delphi ODBC connection to server DB..pls help!
I am having the same problems for MS SQL Server doing my development
on NT Workstation.  I have to run the compiled application outside
of Delphi (i.e. no debugging!!).  This is a problem.

Don Huff

: I am attempting to use Delphi C/S to access a database server via ODBC.
: (The server is RedBrick).
: Having created a ODBC alias, I can browse and view the tables from within
: DatabaseDesktop. In addition, I can do the same from design mode in
: delphi. ie. Dropping TTable/TDatasource components and viewing tables
: etc. HOWEVER, when I run the program, I am prompted for the logon name
: and password, but then the system hangs.

: Has anybody got any ideas? Or experienced similar problems with other
: servers?

: Any help appreciated!

Sat, 07 Feb 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Delphi ODBC connection to server DB..pls help!
I am attempting to use Delphi C/S to access a database server via ODBC.
(The server is RedBrick).
Having created a ODBC alias, I can browse and view the tables from within
DatabaseDesktop. In addition, I can do the same from design mode in
delphi. ie. Dropping TTable/TDatasource components and viewing tables
etc. HOWEVER, when I run the program, I am prompted for the logon name
and password, but then the system hangs.

Has anybody got any ideas? Or experienced similar problems with other
servers?

Any help appreciated!

Sat, 07 Feb 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Delphi ODBC connection to server DB..pls help!

Quote:

>I am attempting to use Delphi C/S to access a database server via ODBC.
>(The server is RedBrick).
>Having created a ODBC alias, I can browse and view the tables from within
>DatabaseDesktop. In addition, I can do the same from design mode in
>delphi. ie. Dropping TTable/TDatasource components and viewing tables
>etc. HOWEVER, when I run the program, I am prompted for the logon name
>and password, but then the system hangs.

Try doubling the STACK space available to your program.  I had a
problem connecting to ORACLE via ODBC at runtime, but when I increased
the stack space, the program ran fine.

Bert

Sun, 08 Feb 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Delphi ODBC connection to server DB..pls help!

Quote:

>>I am attempting to use Delphi C/S to access a database server via ODBC.
>>(The server is RedBrick).
>>Having created a ODBC alias, I can browse and view the tables from within
>>DatabaseDesktop. In addition, I can do the same from design mode in
>>delphi. ie. Dropping TTable/TDatasource components and viewing tables
>>etc. HOWEVER, when I run the program, I am prompted for the logon name
>>and password, but then the system hangs.

>Try doubling the STACK space available to your program.  I had a
>problem connecting to ORACLE via ODBC at runtime, but when I increased
>the stack space, the program ran fine.

>Bert

I have the same symptoms using c-s to Progress. After I enter my password,
the system hangs. I bumped stack up to 32768 but this has made no difference.
Up to this point, all looks fine. I can browse a list of tables, select
one, select columns etc. It's when I try to run it that everything comes
to a grinding halt.

Any bright ideas? The tcp stack is fine and I can run c-s against the same
database using a Progress client, so the back end is OK.

TIA,  Peter Wiley

Tue, 10 Feb 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. DB connection - ODBC question!

2. Need Help with Sql-Server ODBC & Delphi

3. Help: Identity recovering and Disconnections with Delphi 2 and SQL Server and ODBC

4. Connection to a distant DB with Delphi

5. Grabing whole win95 screen in Delphi/help pls/

6. Delphi connection to Oracle DB

7. Delphi 1.0 to SQL Server 6.5 - connections!

8. Keep 2 ODBC connections in Delphi application

9. How to get an ODBC Delphi / MS-Access connection

10. Delphi Client/Server Connections

11. ODBC connection from Delphi to RDB.

12. ODBC connection from Delphi to RDB