HELP: "Error in Symbol File" message 
Author Message
 HELP: "Error in Symbol File" message

Hi,
Could anyone help me with the following problem? I was working on a delphi
application for a few days and regulary opened and closed the project without
problems. However, the last time I tried it I got the following message when I
tried to open the project file:
        'Error in symbol file'.

As a last resort I created a new project and used the 'Add File' option in
Delphi to add the intact forms and units from the old project. I could compile
and run the new project successfully but again when I saved it and tried to
re-open the whole project I got the same message.

PLEASE HELP, as the only  way I can now work on my project is to create a new
one and add the necessary files to it manually each time.

Thanks in advance

Mat.




Sat, 07 Feb 1998 03:00:00 GMT  
 HELP: "Error in Symbol File" message

Quote:


>Subject: HELP: "Error in Symbol File" message
>Date: 22 Aug 1995 11:02:57 GMT
>Hi,
>Could anyone help me with the following problem? I was working on a Delphi
>application for a few days and regulary opened and closed the project without
>problems. However, the last time I tried it I got the following message when I
>tried to open the project file:
>        'Error in symbol file'.
>As a last resort I created a new project and used the 'Add File' option in
>Delphi to add the intact forms and units from the old project. I could compile
>and run the new project successfully but again when I saved it and tried to
>re-open the whole project I got the same message.
>PLEASE HELP, as the only  way I can now work on my project is to create a new
>one and add the necessary files to it manually each time.

I'm not really sure that this means you can't work on the project. I think
that the symbol file is only used by the Delphi IDE for things such as the
object browser and also for debugging local symbols etc. I don't think it's
imperative for it to be present - the Options | Project | Compiler (I think)
allows you to turn off symbol file generation. The symbol file has extension
.DSM, and is usually nearly the size of the .EXE created. I think it is also
recreated every time the compiler compiles your project. Personally I delete
the thing as often as not, just to save disk space. I get the same message,
but ignore it, so far without any consequence I can detect.


Tue, 10 Feb 1998 03:00:00 GMT  
 HELP: "Error in Symbol File" message

Quote:
> (Matthew Thampi) writes:
> >problems. However, the last time I tried it I got the following message when I
> >tried to open the project file:
> >        'Error in symbol file'.

> >As a last resort I created a new project and used the 'Add File' option in
> >Delphi to add the intact forms and units from the old project. I could compile

> I'm not really sure that this means you can't work on the project. I think
> that the symbol file is only used by the Delphi IDE for things such as the
> object browser and also for debugging local symbols etc. I don't think it's
> imperative for it to be present - the Options | Project | Compiler (I think)
> allows you to turn off symbol file generation. The symbol file has extension
> .DSM, and is usually nearly the size of the .EXE created. I think it is also
> recreated every time the compiler compiles your project. Personally I delete
> the thing as often as not, just to save disk space. I get the same message,
> but ignore it, so far without any consequence I can detect.

I have seen the same message and solved it the same way - by creating a
new project and adding all the files again. It seems you have found a
way to load the project even with the message. I wonder what it is?

For me, when loading a project with no symbol table file, I get the
message "Symbol File Error", and no project to work on.

Peter


         URL: http://mall.turnpike.net/~jc/

  Stereograms - Shareware - Amateur Radio - WWW Camera Map



Tue, 10 Feb 1998 03:00:00 GMT  
 
 [ 4 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. "File is Locked" error message

2. Help deciphering "Circular Datalink" error message

3. Error Message: "Higher Table Level Required"

4. "Lost OF TABLE-Symbols"

5. The keys "-"/"+"/"*"

6. BDE ERROR "Bad File number"

7. BDE Error "Bad file number"?????

8. Help: "Help file to large"

9. EDBEngineError "Record lock failed message"

10. "Table locked by another user" message

11. "Closed Dataset" Messages

12. Problem with "Vendor initialisation failed" message

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software