A help on SQL commands, please...
Author Message
 A help on SQL commands, please...

Iv been searching and searching but have not yet found what I need.

On www.borland.com/devsupport/bde/ti_list/TI2752.html is there a
complete listing on reserved words by the Local SQL in BDE. But there
is no explanin on the words. Is there a place on the Web where these
commands is explained?

Best regards
Kenneth Ingvartsen

ICQ#2241352

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 A help on SQL commands, please...
On Fri, 11 Jun 1999 15:23:21 +0200, Kenneth Ingvartsen

Quote:

>Iv been searching and searching but have not yet found what I need.

>On www.borland.com/devsupport/bde/ti_list/TI2752.html is there a
>complete listing on reserved words by the Local SQL in BDE. But there
>is no explanin on the words. Is there a place on the Web where these
>commands is explained?

In the local SQL help file, LOCALSQL.HLP, there is a list of the words
recognized as reserved words.

Most of these words have nothing at all to do with local SQL. Those
reserved words that are also part of the SQL syntax for the local SQL
implementation of the SQL language are explained in the remainder of this
help file.

A number of the words are SQL-related, but are not used in local SQL.
Examples of such words include CHECK, DOMAIN, PLAN, and GRANT. These words
are restricted from use not by local SQL but by the Borland Database Engine
(BDE). The BDE deals with more than just local table types using ODBC and
its SQL Links drivers. These reserved words represent aspects of SQL and
SQL database operations beyond the scope of local SQL and so are not
explained in local SQL. If you need explanations of these syntax elements,
you should investigate the online help for some SQL database system, like
InterBase, Microsoft SQL Server, or Oracle.

Other reserved words are internal programming keywords of the BDE. Used in
its own internal code, these words are prevented from being used as
metadata object names in local SQL statements. Again, this is a restriction
of the BDE and not local SQL. But it has its effects in database access by
the BDE, which happens to include that by local SQL. Examples of these BDE
internal keywords include CSTRING, MAXIMUM_SEGMENT, MODULE_NAME, and
BASE_NAME.

The local SQL help file can be found in the main BDE directory. This help
file is a language reference of the local SQL implementation (subset) of
SQL-92. The copy of this file that came with BDE 4.x (and earlier versions)
was outdated and has since been rewritten. Updated copies will have the
topic "Unsupported language" in the index (and lack of this topic indicates
a pre-update copy). I can e-mail you a copy of the updated file if you need
and desire it.

Steve Koterski     "An inventor is a person who makes an ingenious
Felton, CA         arrangement of wheels, levers and springs, and believes
                   it civilization."          -- Ernest Dimnet (1866-1954)

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 A help on SQL commands, please...

Quote:

> In the local SQL help file, LOCALSQL.HLP, there is a list of the words
> recognized as reserved words.

Thanks for your help...
Regards Kenneth Ingvartsen

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. SQL Neophite needs some SQL Help Please...

2. Please help with nested SQL !

3. Please help with D1/SQL problem

4. SQL help please

5. Update SQL help please

6. Please help with using ORDER BY in TQuery SQL

7. A little SQL help please?

8. SQL PROBLEM !!! PLEASE HELP

9. Please Help : Problem Posting To SQL Server

10. SQL and date fields - please help

11. Refresh problem using TQuery with SQL Server - SOS PLEASE HELP ME

12. Please help with using ORDER BY in TQuery SQL