Access to SQL Server ODBC vs SQL Links
Author Message
 Access to SQL Server ODBC vs SQL Links

We are testing one of our product with a SQL Server Database. But we
are testing with BDE+ODBC==>it's slow, but we think that the delphi
C/S will greatly enhance speed.
AnyBody know about the enhancement factor Delphi developper +BDE+ ODBC
vs Delphi C/S with SQL Server.
Thanks in advance.
Jean Jacques Serpoul

Sun, 30 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Access to SQL Server ODBC vs SQL Links

Quote:

> We are testing one of our product with a SQL Server Database. But we
> are testing with BDE+ODBC==>it's slow, but we think that the Delphi
> C/S will greatly enhance speed.
> AnyBody know about the enhancement factor Delphi developper +BDE+ ODBC
> vs Delphi C/S with SQL Server.
> Thanks in advance.
> Jean Jacques Serpoul

The C/S is only marginally better, because the drivers were written long
ago for an old version of Sybase and have not been updated for sql
server v 6.5 nor have they been tuned for efficiency.  I don't think
Borland wants to support it much because they want to sell you
Interbase.  Unfortunately, our customers already have SQL server
implemented extensively, and they aren't going to change.  So maybe we
will switch away from Delphi to something that may not be near as good
of a language, but has supported drivers that will enable us to meet db
speed requirements.

Maybe others have suggestions.... Steve

Mon, 31 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Access to SQL Server ODBC vs SQL Links

Quote:

> We are testing one of our product with a SQL Server Database. But we
> are testing with BDE+ODBC==>it's slow, but we think that the Delphi
> C/S will greatly enhance speed.
> AnyBody know about the enhancement factor Delphi developper +BDE+ ODBC
> vs Delphi C/S with SQL Server.
> Thanks in advance.
> Jean Jacques Serpoul

Jean,

Borland has recently shipped SQL Links 3.5 which offers greatly enhanced
performance over previous versions.  I have put up a document that
describes the new features and provided some benchmark information as
well.  Please see http://www.borland.com/bde for further information.

Mike Destein
Borland

Mon, 31 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Access to SQL Server ODBC vs SQL Links

Quote:

> > We are testing one of our product with a SQL Server Database. But we
> > are testing with BDE+ODBC==>it's slow, but we think that the Delphi
> > C/S will greatly enhance speed.
> > AnyBody know about the enhancement factor Delphi developper +BDE+ ODBC
> > vs Delphi C/S with SQL Server.
> > Thanks in advance.
> > Jean Jacques Serpoul

> The C/S is only marginally better, because the drivers were written long
> ago for an old version of Sybase and have not been updated for sql
> server v 6.5 nor have they been tuned for efficiency.  I don't think
> Borland wants to support it much because they want to sell you
> Interbase.  Unfortunately, our customers already have SQL server
> implemented extensively, and they aren't going to change.  So maybe we
> will switch away from Delphi to something that may not be near as good
> of a language, but has supported drivers that will enable us to meet db
> speed requirements.

No!!! Don't do it!!

Quote:
> Maybe others have suggestions.... Steve

Use ODBCExpress! It gives vastly improved ODBC times, good stability (in my
experience), it's dead easy to distribute (no DLLs except your ODBC and
SQLServer drivers), and it's cheap.

There are others too, which I have no experience of, but names I hear
dropped are Opus and Titan; others will probably be able to tell you of
these.

BTW the chaps at ODBCExpress are working on a BDE compatible
drop-in-replacement; OE is proprietary at the moment. However, if (like me)
you prefer doing all your DB access programmatically I can DEFINITELY
recommend OE.

HTH and keep the Delphi flag flying!
        Ade

All opinions expressed are (c)1996 Adrian Vickers. Opinions should only be
shared if you are using a sterilised computer. Always wash your eyes before
viewing. Please use the approved eyecups (40ukp extra each, plus VAT & P&P)

Tue, 01 Jun 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Access to SQL Server ODBC vs SQL Links

I wrote a component that bypasses the BDE and goes straight to The SQL
server.  I have found that in most cases, it is at least twice as fast as
the BDE.  Plus, it will let you cancel queries and check if the database is
there or not, so you can dynamically switch between replicated servers
within a second or so, being totally transparent to the user.  If you are
interested, I will give it to you for free, however, it cannot be sold to
anyone, and if you make modifications, I ask that you send them to me.  It
is based off of the NTWDBLIB.DLL so you will need this as well as SQL
server C programming manuals.  All the header files and functions have been
converted, but I did not incorporate all of the functions into the
component such as stored procedures and the like.  Also, it will not work
with data aware controls, so you will have to fill in your own controls
with the data, however, I think that the speed and other advantages make up
for it.  So if you are interested, send me email, and I will send you the
component.  Be kind, it took me a while to write it and research the damn
thing, so if things go wrong, fix em yourself, but send me the fixed
version.

Thanks,

Jason Jones

Quote:
> We are testing one of our product with a SQL Server Database. But we
> are testing with BDE+ODBC==>it's slow, but we think that the Delphi
> C/S will greatly enhance speed.
> AnyBody know about the enhancement factor Delphi developper +BDE+ ODBC
> vs Delphi C/S with SQL Server.
> Thanks in advance.
> Jean Jacques Serpoul

Tue, 01 Jun 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Access to SQL Server ODBC vs SQL Links

Quote:

>> > We are testing one of our product with a SQL Server Database. But we
>> > are testing with BDE+ODBC==>it's slow, but we think that the Delphi
>> > C/S will greatly enhance speed.
>> > AnyBody know about the enhancement factor Delphi developper +BDE+ ODBC
>> > vs Delphi C/S with SQL Server.
>> > Thanks in advance.
>> > Jean Jacques Serpoul

>> The C/S is only marginally better, because the drivers were written long
>> ago for an old version of Sybase and have not been updated for sql
>> server v 6.5 nor have they been tuned for efficiency.  I don't think
>> Borland wants to support it much because they want to sell you
>> Interbase.  Unfortunately, our customers already have SQL server
>> implemented extensively, and they aren't going to change.  So maybe we
>> will switch away from Delphi to something that may not be near as good
>> of a language, but has supported drivers that will enable us to meet db
>> speed requirements.
>No!!! Don't do it!!

>> Maybe others have suggestions.... Steve

>Use ODBCExpress! It gives vastly improved ODBC times, good stability (in my
>experience), it's dead easy to distribute (no DLLs except your ODBC and
>SQLServer drivers), and it's cheap.

>There are others too, which I have no experience of, but names I hear
>dropped are Opus and Titan; others will probably be able to tell you of
>these.

>BTW the chaps at ODBCExpress are working on a BDE compatible
>drop-in-replacement; OE is proprietary at the moment. However, if (like me)
>you prefer doing all your DB access programmatically I can DEFINITELY
>recommend OE.

>HTH and keep the Delphi flag flying!
>    Ade
>--

>All opinions expressed are (c)1996 Adrian Vickers. Opinions should only be
>shared if you are using a sterilised computer. Always wash your eyes before
>viewing. Please use the approved eyecups (40ukp extra each, plus VAT & P&P)

About OE:
I try this product and it work fine with SQL Server (32 bits version).
But we could'nt use it before they have released the new version
compatible with DataAware VCL.
We use extensively third party DataAware VCL !.
If they really give what there are promised it seem to be the
solution.

PS: I don't understand why Borland have not implemented an easy way to
replace the original BDE. All the product i see (Like Opus for Access)
are patching the BDE. It's not a very elegant method, but nevertheless
it work. Nothing about this in Delphi 97 ?

Jean Jacques Serpoul

Wed, 02 Jun 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Access to SQL Server ODBC vs SQL Links

Quote:

>> > We are testing one of our product with a SQL Server Database. But we
>> > are testing with BDE+ODBC==>it's slow, but we think that the Delphi
>> > C/S will greatly enhance speed.
>> > AnyBody know about the enhancement factor Delphi developper +BDE+ ODBC
>> > vs Delphi C/S with SQL Server.
>> > Thanks in advance.
>> > Jean Jacques Serpoul

>> The C/S is only marginally better, because the drivers were written long
>> ago for an old version of Sybase and have not been updated for sql
>> server v 6.5 nor have they been tuned for efficiency.  I don't think
>> Borland wants to support it much because they want to sell you
>> Interbase.  Unfortunately, our customers already have SQL server
>> implemented extensively, and they aren't going to change.  So maybe we
>> will switch away from Delphi to something that may not be near as good
>> of a language, but has supported drivers that will enable us to meet db
>> speed requirements.
>No!!! Don't do it!!

>> Maybe others have suggestions.... Steve

>Use ODBCExpress! It gives vastly improved ODBC times, good stability (in my
>experience), it's dead easy to distribute (no DLLs except your ODBC and
>SQLServer drivers), and it's cheap.

>There are others too, which I have no experience of, but names I hear
>dropped are Opus and Titan; others will probably be able to tell you of
>these.

>BTW the chaps at ODBCExpress are working on a BDE compatible
>drop-in-replacement; OE is proprietary at the moment. However, if (like me)
>you prefer doing all your DB access programmatically I can DEFINITELY
>recommend OE.

>HTH and keep the Delphi flag flying!
>    Ade
>--

>All opinions expressed are (c)1996 Adrian Vickers. Opinions should only be
>shared if you are using a sterilised computer. Always wash your eyes before
>viewing. Please use the approved eyecups (40ukp extra each, plus VAT & P&P)

We have tested OE with SQL servers (32 Bits version). It's work fine,
but we can't use now, because we are using extensively third party
DataAware VCL. I know they have a new version in the tube with full
compatibility with DataAware VCL, so i am waiting. If they do what
they promise, surely it will be a geat product and the solution for
us.
We have also test Opus for Access with SQL Server Attached tables, but
there is a lot of problem with index. (Not an OPUS problem, but a
limitation of the DAO layer with attached tables).

As a programming tool , Delphi is wonderful, but the database (BDE) is
not surely the best part of it.

PS: Is there something new about BDE in Delphi 97?  Will be more
easier to third party developper to replace or enhance the native BDE.
Product like Opus for Access are patching the BDE. It's work but it is
not very elegant.

Wed, 02 Jun 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. MS SQL Server - ODBC vs SQL Links

2. SQL Links or ODBC for remote SQL servers?

3. Delphi/Oracle 7.1 - ODBC vs SQL Links

4. Delphi 1.0 Oracle queries: SQL Links vs ODBC?

5. Accessing temp tables using SQL Links vs SQL Servers' ODBC Driver?

6. SQL Server 6.5: Native driver vs. ODBC

7. Problem with Identity field in Delphi 2, with ODBC SQL server 6.5 link

8. SQL Databases - MS Sql Server 7 vs. Interbase

9. SQL Links problem with MS SQL Server

10. MS SQL Server -TCP - SQL Links

11. GPF in SQLD_SS (delphi 1 Sql links driver for SQL-Server)

12. slow SQL Links SQL Server 7.0