Borland Interbase Server vs MS SQL Server
Author Message
 Borland Interbase Server vs MS SQL Server

I have been told they are similar, but would appreciate more
information about pros and cons.

Email me. I reply to every email.
Matthew

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Borland Interbase Server vs MS SQL Server

 Not even close! I like IB much better, and I have worked with both.

Go Dunston-Thomas page for a good white paper on comparing IB with other
servers.

http://www.interbase.dthomas.co.uk/

Computer Solutions:AZ
Tucson, AZ

TVisualBasic:=class(None);

Quote:
>I have been told they are similar, but would appreciate more
>information about pros and cons.

>Email me. I reply to every email.
>Matthew

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Borland Interbase Server vs MS SQL Server

Quote:
> Not even close! I like IB much better, and I have worked with both.
>Go Dunston-Thomas page for a good white paper on comparing IB with other
>servers.
>http://www.interbase.dthomas.co.uk/

>>I have been told they are similar, but would appreciate more
>>information about pros and cons.

The products really *are* quite different, and IB has some very interesting
ideas (like "multi-generational architecture") which I am surprised other
vendors have not adopted.  I'm still ramping-up on IB at this point but this
product does appear to be "99% DBA-free."

Now, if the database in question were truly huge and the transaction load was
truly enormous, I don't know but that I would want more knobs, but it seems to
me from experience with other servers that they have *too many* knobs.  And
knobs do not equal functionality.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Borland Interbase Server vs MS SQL Server

Quote:

>> Not even close! I like IB much better, and I have worked with both.
>>Go Dunston-Thomas page for a good white paper on comparing IB with other
>>servers.
>>http://www.interbase.dthomas.co.uk/

>>>I have been told they are similar, but would appreciate more
>>>information about pros and cons.
>The products really *are* quite different, and IB has some very interesting
>ideas (like "multi-generational architecture") which I am surprised other
>vendors have not adopted.  I'm still ramping-up on IB at this point but this
>product does appear to be "99% DBA-free."
>Now, if the database in question were truly huge and the transaction load was
>truly enormous, I don't know but that I would want more knobs, but it seems to
>me from experience with other servers that they have *too many* knobs.  And
>knobs do not equal functionality.

That's espacially true from Oracle servers. Informix' SE engine has
almost no knobs to twitch.

-------------------------
   Frederic G. MARAND
  Agorus SA / OSI SARL

 http://www.chez.com/osi

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. MS-SQL server 6.5 vs Interbase server ???

2. SQL Databases - MS Sql Server 7 vs. Interbase

3. Interbase vs MS SQL Server ?????

4. MS SQL Server - ODBC vs SQL Links

5. MS SQL Server vs Delphi (Connection Active)

6. Access97, Oracle, SQL Server, Interbase Server or what?????

7. Interbase and MS SQL Server

8. What to use: MS SQL Server or Interbase?

9. Press: Borland Announces JAVA Enabled InterBase SQL Database Server

10. Borland's SQL Server/Interbase Conspiracy Theory

11. Interbase -v- MS SQL Server - Comments please

12. Access to SQL Server ODBC vs SQL Links