paradox DB and dbase DBF 
Author Message
 paradox DB and dbase DBF

till now I used DBF format
but after knowing that paradox DB have more functions,
 I am starting to use DB
i.e. I copy DBF files as DB file (by Approach program which I have  )
 and change PAS codes and compile again.

but paradox DB is differant from DBF fromat and I have many questions.
all following problem are which I never encounter with DBF format.

pls kindly let me know where I can find answers ( like FAQ )
and if poss, pls reply to here also. tks a lot.

1) key violation
   after instering some record, it say "key violation" and I can't
post and  insert another record.

2) descending index
 in DBF, I just choose descending to see records as last date first.
 i.e. 96/1/25 --> 96/1/24.
 but I can't do that in DB.

3) NET
 I keep DB and program in LAN ( netware 3.11 and window 3.1 )
 but it say something about PDX????.NET and refuse to work.



Sat, 27 Jun 1998 03:00:00 GMT  
 paradox DB and dbase DBF

tks a lot for your reply ... and waht I did and some questions ...

Quote:
>1: key fields in pdox are -unique- unlike dBase. Key violation means
>you've already that that value for the key in the table.

I saw some codes in some book and news. I will try to test it.
( I wondered why news for key violation , but now I know )

Quote:
>2: There are no descending indexes in any version of pdox tables <7.0.
>So in the 32bit version of delphi, you can create and use descending
>-secondary- indexes.

how can I use secondary index as descending ?
in BDE , table , restructure / secondary indexs
I can't put calculated(!) index such as -(minus)INPUTDATE.
(what I want is show record in grid as descending order of INPUTDATE)

Quote:
>3: Goto the database configuration icon and run the program. Switch
>to the paradox  driver. You'll see a setting called "Net Dir". In
>setting, type a network directly that's accessible by everyone
>who needs to access pdox tables. Then select File|Save from the menu.
>Now, search your drive for "pdox*.net" and "*.lck" if the lck file
>has the name of a table as its first part delete it and delete any
>pdox*.net's that you find.
>Now go around to every machine that uses pdox tables and do the very
>same thing and you should be set to go.
>Pdox stores its locking and multiuser files in the Net Dir so if it's
>not set up, it won't start because you could defeat the whole
>locking mechanism.

tks a lot. now I did it.

but is it poss to make one directory of LAN for where they search
/IDAPI(? ; where I guess delphi or BDE put files for BDE such as
bdecfg.exe which is  the database configuration program ) ?
then I think I don't need to do above job for each computer .



Sun, 28 Jun 1998 03:00:00 GMT  
 paradox DB and dbase DBF

1: key fields in pdox are -unique- unlike dBase. Key violation means
you've already that that value for the key in the table.

2: There are no descending indexes in any version of pdox tables <7.0.
So in the 32bit version of delphi, you can create and use descending
-secondary- indexes.

3: Goto the database configuration icon and run the program. Switch
to the paradox  driver. You'll see a setting called "Net Dir". In
setting, type a network directly that's accessible by everyone
who needs to access pdox tables. Then select File|Save from the menu.

Now, search your drive for "pdox*.net" and "*.lck" if the lck file
has the name of a table as its first part delete it and delete any
pdox*.net's that you find.

Now go around to every machine that uses pdox tables and do the very
same thing and you should be set to go.

Pdox stores its locking and multiuser files in the Net Dir so if it's
not set up, it won't start because you could defeat the whole
locking mechanism.

--
Delphi and Paradox Consultant. Member: Borland Delphi Technical Support

       Paradox Web Page: http://www.pagescape.com/fire/pdox/

          My words are my own, I don't speak for Borland.



Sun, 28 Jun 1998 03:00:00 GMT  
 paradox DB and dbase DBF

Quote:

>till now I used DBF format
>but after knowing that paradox DB have more functions,
> I am starting to use DB
>i.e. I copy DBF files as DB file (by Approach program which I have  )
> and change PAS codes and compile again.

>but paradox DB is differant from DBF fromat and I have many questions.
>all following problem are which I never encounter with DBF format.

>pls kindly let me know where I can find answers ( like FAQ )
>and if poss, pls reply to here also. tks a lot.

>1) key violation
>   after instering some record, it say "key violation" and I can't
>post and  insert another record.

You should copy your DBF file to DB format using the Database
Desktop(DBD).  You then will need to reset your primary key(must be
unique) and your secondary indexes.  You will the use Utilities |
Restructure to finalize this process.  You now have a good DB (Paradox)
format file to work with.

Quote:

>2) descending index
> in DBF, I just choose descending to see records as last date first.
> i.e. 96/1/25 --> 96/1/24.
> but I can't do that in DB.

Paradox format files do not support descending indexes.

Quote:

>3) NET
> I keep DB and program in LAN ( netware 3.11 and window 3.1 )
> but it say something about PDX????.NET and refuse to work.

You must set the NET DIR property in the BDE to tell your system where
NETWork files a re located.

Ben
Arrow



Mon, 29 Jun 1998 03:00:00 GMT  
 paradox DB and dbase DBF

Quote:

>how can I use secondary index as descending ?
>in BDE , table , restructure / secondary indexs
>I can't put calculated(!) index such as -(minus)INPUTDATE.
>(what I want is show record in grid as descending order of INPUTDATE)

In a Secondary Index there should be a check box for a descending
index.  Just choose the InputDate field as the secondary, check the
box and away you go.  BTW, all secondary indexes should be maintained.
Paradox, unlike xBase, doesn't support calculated indexes but then I
haven't missed them in all the years I've used Paradox.

Quote:
>but is it poss to make one directory of LAN for where they search
>/IDAPI(? ; where I guess delphi or BDE put files for BDE such as
>bdecfg.exe which is  the database configuration program ) ?
>then I think I don't need to do above job for each computer .

If all the accessing computers are getting to the BDE on the network
you still need to configure the local computers to know where to look
for the engine.  That's in the local configuration utility.  But there
needs to be only ONE PDOX&&&&.NET file for the whole network.

ttfn

John



Thu, 02 Jul 1998 03:00:00 GMT  
 
 [ 5 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. Converting DBF to Paradox DB

2. from foxpro DBF to paradox DB

3. DBF DBF DBF

4. Dbase files with extentions other than dbf

5. Create a DBase III+ .dbf

6. Undelete with dBASE .dbf files

7. OLE fields in dBase for Windows .dbf Files

8. Using DBase III+ compatible *.DBF *.NDX

9. Opening a Dbase IV .DBF without the .MDX

10. Undelete with dBASE .dbf files

11. CD-ROM .DBF/.MDX dBASE files

12. Which is most reliable: DBF, DB, or MDB

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software