What are the BDE's problems?
Author Message
 What are the BDE's problems?

Would anyone like to summarize the problem's
they've encountered with the BDE that have resulted
in so many calls for BDE-less database apps?
--Jake Waxman

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 What are the BDE's problems?

As far as I understand things, the issue of whether or not to use BDE
varies with the perspective.  If the perspective is speed and performance
and the database is an Access database, by using ODBC you would seriously
slow down the throughput.  Some engines exist for databases not covered by
BDE which allow for direct hookups with an inline substitute for BDE.
However, some people are already predominately in the Borland world, using
dBase, Paradox and Interbase almost exclusively and BDE is FINE for that
(as well as Oracle, Sybase, DB2 and SQL Server).

Most usually replacing the BDE with some other engine is preferred for
proprietary type databases (such as BTrieve) as ODBC is the weak link in
the chain of handshaking.  From what I understand, Delphi 3 comes with
native access to Access databases, so the above example might prove to be
contemporarily unnecessary.

Quote:
> Would anyone like to summarize the problem's
> they've encountered with the BDE that have resulted
> in so many calls for BDE-less database apps?
> --Jake Waxman

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 What are the BDE's problems?

Quote:

>As far as I understand things, the issue of whether or not to use BDE
>varies with the perspective.  If the perspective is speed and performance
>and the database is an Access database, by using ODBC you would seriously
>slow down the throughput.

Not entirely accurate.  The connection between BDE and ODBC is slow,
but if you go directly to ODBC without passing through BDE,
performance is generally pretty good.

In my mind, what it comes down to is that, unless you're using a
Borland database (dBase, Paradox, or InterBase), using BDE means
shipping _two_ complete database engines with your application, plus
the ODBC engine.  While I can justify the overhead of ODBC on the
basis of the flexibility it offers (in theory, you can just change the
DSN and use the program with any database engine you want), including
BDE simply as an intermediary for talking to something which can be
communicated with directly is ridiculous.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. I am missing something and I can't run my PAS files

2. Problems with BDE 3.5 (your exp' please)

3. BDE Alias's and new installs of the BDE

4. BDE 'Could not find object'

5. IS Express can't find BDE's DATAPUMP.EXE

6. What's BDE's Ceiling?

7. 'Invalid Filename' - BDE Error

8. BDE error 'Index out of date'

9. It's about Blob's problem~~

10. Table1.FieldByName('x').DisplayFormat runtime problem.

11. Heads-up: problems observed using BDE-16 and BDE-32 simultaneously

12. TQuery problem -- 'Table Does Not Exist'