DB alternatives to BDE/ADO/DAO ???
Author Message
 DB alternatives to BDE/ADO/DAO ???

I'm looking for a small database that doesn't need to use the BDE/ADO/DAO
engines?  This is not a large client/server project; some SQL would be
nice but not mandatory.

I've seen a few but they are not friendly.  This is is for a free
application i'm writing so price is an issue :)

Thanks,
dave

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 DB alternatives to BDE/ADO/DAO ???
Take a look at Topaz from Software Science inc., www.softsci.com. It's
dBase-compatible and costs $99 for source-code and a printed manual. Very
easy to work with and a demo-version is available.
Quote:

>I'm looking for a small database that doesn't need to use the BDE/ADO/DAO
>engines?  This is not a large client/server project; some SQL would be
>nice but not mandatory.

>I've seen a few but they are not friendly.  This is is for a free
>application i'm writing so price is an issue :)

>Thanks,
>dave

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 DB alternatives to BDE/ADO/DAO ???
Hi Dave,

Have a look at Apollo VCL v5.1 at www.ApolloDatabase.com.  If local and
client/server SQL support are also available here.

Eval editions are NOW available.  So, you can test out the latest release
yourself.

Best regards,

Loren Scott
President/CEO
Vista Software - A Vision That Works!
http://www.ApolloDatabase.com
1-800-653-2949

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 DB alternatives to BDE/ADO/DAO ???
Take a look at dbisam from www.elevatesoft.com

Hi,

This are (some of) the strong points of dbisam (in my opinion) :

1. Compiles directly in to you exe file, nothing more to deploy.
2. Very fast and with SQL support.
3. Great support, your question will be answered in under 1.5 hours.

I use it for all my database applications. You can download a trial
version from there website, and just take a look at there newsgroups
and you will find out yourself that customers are very satisfied with
the product. You will never use the BDE again.

Greetings,

Rob Segerink

Quote:
>Hi Dave,

>Have a look at Apollo VCL v5.1 at www.ApolloDatabase.com.  If local and
>client/server SQL support are also available here.

>Eval editions are NOW available.  So, you can test out the latest release
>yourself.

>Best regards,

>Loren Scott
>President/CEO
>Vista Software - A Vision That Works!
>http://www.ApolloDatabase.com
>1-800-653-2949

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 DB alternatives to BDE/ADO/DAO ???
It is a shame that there is not a free Database system
on the PC like My SQL.  My advice would be to write one
if you have the time & can understand BTree algorithms,
IMO it takes about two or three weeks to write a BTree
engine with a data dictionary library and you'll learn alot in
the process, be warned though Deleting from a BTree is
a fairly complex affair.  Otherwise if you do need fast indexing/are
only dealing with small quantities of data e.g. hundreds of
records maximum then you might consider just using flat binary
files.  If you needed speed later on then some simple hashing
functions could be added.  You'll probably find no need for
any SQL, that is no great loss IMO, it is fairly non-standard
and typing those field names over & over is real pain in the UU

Quote:
> Take a look at Topaz from Software Science inc., www.softsci.com. It's
> dBase-compatible and costs $99 for source-code and a printed manual. Very
> easy to work with and a demo-version is available.

> >I'm looking for a small database that doesn't need to use the BDE/ADO/DAO
> >engines?  This is not a large client/server project; some SQL would be
> >nice but not mandatory.

> >I've seen a few but they are not friendly.  This is is for a free
> >application i'm writing so price is an issue :)

> >Thanks,
> >dave

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 DB alternatives to BDE/ADO/DAO ???

Quote:
> It is a shame that there is not a free Database system
> on the PC like My SQL.  My advice would be to write one

Try looking here. It's not a freeware, but it is MySQL SHAREware for  Win95
/ Win98 / NT: http://www.mysql.com/download_win.html

Torben.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 DB alternatives to BDE/ADO/DAO ???
For a complete list of BDE alternatives see
http://www.kylecordes.com/bag/index.html.

Quote:
> I'm looking for a small database that doesn't need to use the BDE/ADO/DAO
> engines?  This is not a large client/server project; some SQL would be
> nice but not mandatory.

> I've seen a few but they are not friendly.  This is is for a free
> application i'm writing so price is an issue :)

> Thanks,
> dave

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. Which DAO or ADO component

2. performance of DAO vs ADO

3. ADO, DAO and Access

4. Delphi and DAO (or ADO)

5. Writing DB aware components alternative way

6. CASCADE/DB alternative

7. Alternatives to BDE

8. Alternative BDE ??? (shareware)

9. BDE memory leaks and ACCESS 97 Alternative ?

10. The best BDE Alternative I've Found

11. Simple fast BDE alternative?

12. Alternative to BDE