DBGrid master/detail relationship?
Author Message
 DBGrid master/detail relationship?

I was hoping someone would have some insight into the following:

1.) Can a DBGrid component display a master/detail relationship?  I was
hoping that I could go into the characteristics of each column and set up
the master/detail relationship.  When I right-click on the DBGrid and choose
Columns Editor, I get a _very_ simple pop-up box entitled Editing
DBGrid.Columns and all it allows me to do is add and delete columns, nothing
else -- this a far cry from the DBGrid Columns Editor which the
documentation refers to.  Am I doing something wrong?

2.) Is there any way to run a FindNearest/GotoNearest search on the text
being typed into a DBEdit component where the data to be searched is in the
DataSource of that DBEdit component?  If not, and I have to use Edit
components instead, how do I tie the .Text attribute of those Edit
components to the record being edited?

Thanks,
Craig

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 DBGrid master/detail relationship?

Quote:
>1.) Can a DBGrid component display a master/detail relationship?  I was
>hoping that I could go into the characteristics of each column and set up
>the master/detail relationship.  When I right-click on the DBGrid and choose
>Columns Editor, I get a _very_ simple pop-up box entitled Editing
>DBGrid.Columns and all it allows me to do is add and delete columns, nothing
>else -- this a far cry from the DBGrid Columns Editor which the
>documentation refers to.  Am I doing something wrong?

Add all the columns to the editor then select one and hit the F11 key.  You
will then see more properties to play with.

Quote:
>2.) Is there any way to run a FindNearest/GotoNearest search on the text
>being typed into a DBEdit component where the data to be searched is in the
>DataSource of that DBEdit component?  If not, and I have to use Edit
>components instead, how do I tie the .Text attribute of those Edit
>components to the record being edited?

I think it would be easier to do this with a regular edit component because
when you change the text in a DBEdit you are also changing the underlying
Tfield that is contained in your Dataset.  If you are so inclined (you want to
spend the money) the InfoPower components contain an IncrementalSearch
component that does with it's DBGrid what you want to do.

********************************
Michael Glatz

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. Different detail Index order within master-detail relationship

2. MASTER/DETAIL relationship

3. Master/detail table relationship problems

4. Auto Increment Fields and Master Details Relationship

5. Q: Master-Detail relationship using DBase records

6. Master-Detail Relationship problem

7. Error using master/detail relationship?

8. Master-detail Relationship

9. Master/Detail relationship problem

10. why wont this master/detail relationship work?

11. Delphi 2.0 -> 3.0 Master Detailed Relationships

12. Master-Detail Relationship