Creating BDE Aliases from an Install Program
Author Message
 Creating BDE Aliases from an Install Program

Hi,

{ delphi 4, WIN95 }

We need to create BDE aliases at install time, is there any way to do
this?

Is it possible to save some sort of BDE config file and merge/install
it into the target machine's config?  Or would we be looking at
shipping some sort of registry file and merging that?

Thanks in advance,

Jon.

Sat, 24 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Creating BDE Aliases from an Install Program

Quote:

> Hi,

> { DELPHI 4, WIN95 }

> We need to create BDE aliases at install time, is there any way to do
> this?

The TSession Component can be used to create an Alias and set it's
parameters at runtime.

Quote:
> Is it possible to save some sort of BDE config file and merge/install
> it into the target machine's config?  Or would we be looking at
> shipping some sort of registry file and merging that?

Legally, I believe that the BDE has to be installed on the target
machine using Inprise's Installion.  Unless that has changed in D4.

There is actually on two entries in the registry needed to run address
the BDE.
One that points to the Database engine directory, and another that
points to the language libraries.

Hope that helps..

--
                   \|||/
                   /'^'\

Sat, 24 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Creating BDE Aliases from an Install Program

Quote:

>Hi,

>{ DELPHI 4, WIN95 }

>We need to create BDE aliases at install time, is there any way to do
>this?

>Is it possible to save some sort of BDE config file and merge/install
>it into the target machine's config?  Or would we be looking at
>shipping some sort of registry file and merging that?

You must use the supplied copy of InstallShield (or some other
approved install application) to build setup routines for apps
that require the BDE.

The good news is that InstallShield is friendly and simple,
and will take care of BDE installation and creation of aliases
on the target machine.
--
Jeremy Collins
Kansai Business Systems

Sat, 24 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Creating BDE Aliases from an Install Program
Jon,

You can create a Paradox alias on a workstation with the following two
Delphi statements.

          Session.AddStandardAlias(theAlias, thePath, '');
          Session.SaveConfigFile;

In our business we create numerous simple data capture systems each year.
In each one our program generator puts the following code in FormCreate to
create an alias. If the alias is already there then the 'on' condition
deals with it.

        try
          Session.AddStandardAlias(theAlias, thePath, '');
          Session.SaveConfigFile;
        except
          on EDBEngineError do;
          end;

Regards,

Bill

Quote:
> We need to create BDE aliases at install time, is there any way to do
> this?

Sun, 25 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. BDE Alias's and new installs of the BDE

2. Installing ODBC drivers, & setting up BDE aliases

3. BDE Aliases on Install

4. Problems Installing an ODBC-Alias with Install-Shield Express

5. BDE install conflicts with previously installed BDE

6. Creating Alias During a Program Execution

7. Programmatically Creating BDE Aliases?

8. create a BDE alias at runtime

9. How to create BDE alias from Delphi application

10. Creating a runtime BDE alias

11. InstallShield won't create BDE aliases

12. How can I create a BDE-Alias from Delphi-Applications