Migrating from BDE to ADO
Author Message
 Migrating from BDE to ADO

Hello All

Im an absolute newbie to delphi with a VB background.
Im hoping to quickly learn as much Delphi as I can.

I have the following scenario.
I have a legacy Delphi system implemented with BDE and dbf tables.
(The dbf tables are based on a foxpro backend.)
The dbf tables + data are to be moved into MS SQL Server 2000.
There are about 70 tables with perhaps a few gigs of data in total.
I wanted to know

1) How to accomplish the move.. Is there an upsize wizard of some sort
and how good is it?
2) How transparent really is the BDE
3) What would I need to change in the actual Object Pascal code to
implement this migration (still keeping BDE)
4) If I decide to jump ship to ADO :-
 a) are there any performance gains
 b) how much development effort is required to move from BDE to ADO
 c) If I switch to ADO am I now completely independent of the BDE
(which version of Delphi did this happen)

I thank you all in advance for this vague list of questions.
If you could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it
very much.

Thanks again

Wed, 05 May 2004 01:09:50 GMT
 Migrating from BDE to ADO
1. The Delphi Enterprise versions contain DataPump which can be used to
upsize databases. It is good, but it can't migrate constraints, triggers
etc.
2. Transparent ? How do you mean ?
3. You need the MS SQL BDE driver from SQL Links (also included in the
Delphi Enterprise versions) and change the BDE alias from FoxPro to MS SQL.
You also might need to change some SQL code if it wasn't SQL-92 standard.
Finally, you will need to remove stuff like table packing etc. because it is
not needed in MS SQL.
4a. The MS SQL driver for ADO is rather good, so you might gain some speed
with it. Also, ADO supports more modern database features than the BDE,
which (if used correctly) will also increase the speed of your application.
4b. At first sight the change might seem small, but be warned, ADO behaves
completely different than the BDE, so you will have to debug your entire
application !
4c. Starting from Delphi 3 the database support was build so that you could
easily change to a different database engine. If you don't use the BDE
components (TSession, TDatabase, TTable, TQuery etc.) you will be
independant of the BDE. For a full list of BDE replacements (like Borland's
ADOExpress) see http://www.kylecordes.com/bag/index.html.

Quote:
> Hello All

> Im an absolute newbie to Delphi with a VB background.
> Im hoping to quickly learn as much Delphi as I can.

> I have the following scenario.
> I have a legacy Delphi system implemented with BDE and dbf tables.
> (The dbf tables are based on a foxpro backend.)
> The dbf tables + data are to be moved into MS SQL Server 2000.
> There are about 70 tables with perhaps a few gigs of data in total.
> I wanted to know

> 1) How to accomplish the move.. Is there an upsize wizard of some sort
> and how good is it?
> 2) How transparent really is the BDE
> 3) What would I need to change in the actual Object Pascal code to
> implement this migration (still keeping BDE)
> 4) If I decide to jump ship to ADO :-
>  a) are there any performance gains
>  b) how much development effort is required to move from BDE to ADO
>  c) If I switch to ADO am I now completely independent of the BDE
> (which version of Delphi did this happen)

> I thank you all in advance for this vague list of questions.
> If you could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it
> very much.

> Thanks again

Wed, 05 May 2004 03:38:19 GMT

1. Migrating From ODBC to ADO

2. BDE vs ADO performance

3. BDE vs ADO vs Apollo

4. ADO, Delphi, Oracle 8i and NO BDE

5. ADO - BDE

6. DB alternatives to BDE/ADO/DAO ???

7. BDE and ADO

8. BDE vs ADO

9. How to get the database type (ADO vs BDE)

10. Record locking with ADO Express, ADO 2.5 and Access 2000 .mdb files

11. Migrate from Clipper 5.2e

12. migrating databases