flat-file datasets
Author Message
 flat-file datasets

Hello,

I want to use flat-file datasets in my application, because I have only
a small dataset that is only used by one application and may only be
updated (seved) on demand. I am working with  a Delphi5 Professional
upgrade and cannot find the TClientDataset componet (I have no Midas
pallete), that is needed to implement the flat-file dataset. Can anyone
tell me in which version  it is available or can you give me an
alternative way that doesn't complicate deplyement to much?

Thanks,

Yves

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 flat-file datasets
Yves,

You can read text datasets with this version of Delphi...

Look at the section titles 'Binding external schema to text tables' in the
BDE online reference for details on writing the schema file, add a TTable
component to your project, set it's DatabaseName property to the alias or
directory containing your TXT and SCH files, set it's TableType to ttASCII,
and you should be able to select your file.

The functionality of text file databases is very limited though, and
depending on the contents it may be better to use Pascal file handling (i.e.
it may save you the need to deploy the BDE)

Regards,

Keith.

Quote:
> Hello,

> I want to use flat-file datasets in my application, because I have only
> a small dataset that is only used by one application and may only be
> updated (seved) on demand. I am working with  a Delphi5 Professional
> upgrade and cannot find the TClientDataset componet (I have no Midas
> pallete), that is needed to implement the flat-file dataset. Can anyone
> tell me in which version  it is available or can you give me an
> alternative way that doesn't complicate deplyement to much?

> Thanks,

> Yves

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 flat-file datasets
TClientServer is component that goes with C/S version of delphi
(enterprise in D5's style)

On Thu, 06 Jan 2000 11:24:26 +0100, Yves Muyssen

Quote:

>Hello,

>I want to use flat-file datasets in my application, because I have only
>a small dataset that is only used by one application and may only be
>updated (seved) on demand. I am working with  a Delphi5 Professional
>upgrade and cannot find the TClientDataset componet (I have no Midas
>pallete), that is needed to implement the flat-file dataset. Can anyone
>tell me in which version  it is available or can you give me an
>alternative way that doesn't complicate deplyement to much?

>Thanks,

>Yves

Regards,
E.Beli
http://www.sauron.co.yu
http://www.imperialstarfleet.com
Remove X from email if you want to mail me

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 flat-file datasets

Quote:

> Hello,
> I want to use flat-file datasets in my application, because I have only
> a small dataset that is only used by one application and may only be
> updated (seved) on demand. I am working with  a Delphi5 Professional
> upgrade and cannot find the TClientDataset componet (I have no Midas
> pallete), that is needed to implement the flat-file dataset. Can anyone
> tell me in which version  it is available or can you give me an
> alternative way that doesn't complicate deplyement to much?

You could try one of the in memory table components - particularly if
you wish it to work with a small dataset (low memory overhead).

Both are freeware with source.

Try

TkbmMemTable (I recommend this one)

(I don't have the URL handy - email me at
plinehan_at_yahoo_dot_com)

or

TRxMemoryData (good, but you have to install the complete Rx library
(which is good, but some people don't like trying to install 60
components if they only want one!).

Paul...

Quote:
> Yves

Paul Linehan

plinehan at yahoo dot com/linehanp at tcd dot ie

I drink to keep body and
soul apart - O. Wilde.

"Mens sana in campari soda" - anon.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 flat-file datasets
(sniP>

Quote:

> You could try one of the in memory table components - particularly if
> you wish it to work with a small dataset (low memory overhead).

> Both are freeware with source.

> Try

> TkbmMemTable (I recommend this one)

> (I don't have the URL handy - email me at
> plinehan_at_yahoo_dot_com)

> or

> TRxMemoryData (good, but you have to install the complete Rx library
> (which is good, but some people don't like trying to install 60
> components if they only want one!).

> Paul...

or the Qdbase components from:-
http://home.sprynet.com/~rrm/

They seem VERY comprehensive.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. Midas flat-file indexes, help

2. Can FreePascal generate flat binary files?

3. Flat-file database w/out BDE?

4. I can't use my paradox database(flat-file) for multiuser

5. TDataSet flat file implementation

6. Saving multiple client datasets to one file?

7. store datasets in file format?

8. Debugging Flat Mode Code

9. Connect to a flat bed scanner?

10. real flat mode????