Crystal Reports and Delphi
Author Message
 Crystal Reports and Delphi

Just wondering if any one out there could give me some pointers on whether to
switch from Report Smith to Crystal Reports.  What I'm interested in is ease of
use.  I can easily launch reports from within a delphi program and am hoping
that Crystal can do the same with a minimum of change.

I'm planning on switching to something since RS 3.1 is not working for me, I
have a rather large DB IV database made up of 10 tables with the largest having
25,000 records.  When I do some reports RS seems to miss match records when I do
a join.  I like the design of RS, just wish it worked correctly.  There tech
support has not been of much help!

Thanks for any help

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Crystal Reports and Delphi
I have been working with Crystal some time.
In my opinion it is just great, really professional  tool.
Moreover, it easy integrates with Delphi via ActiveX.
It is not cheap, but worth the price.
Good luck.
Marek.

Quote:

> Just wondering if any one out there could give me some pointers on whether
> switch from Report Smith to Crystal Reports.  What I'm interested in is
ease of
> use.  I can easily launch reports from within a Delphi program and am
hoping
> that Crystal can do the same with a minimum of change.

> I'm planning on switching to something since RS 3.1 is not working for me,
> have a rather large DB IV database made up of 10 tables with the largest
having
> 25,000 records.  When I do some reports RS seems to miss match records
when I do
> a join.  I like the design of RS, just wish it worked correctly.  There
tech
> support has not been of much help!

> Thanks for any help

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Crystal Reports and Delphi
Have you looked at ReportBuilder Pro (www.digital-metaphors.com)?

Quote:

> Just wondering if any one out there could give me some pointers on whether
> switch from Report Smith to Crystal Reports.  What I'm interested in is
ease of
> use.  I can easily launch reports from within a Delphi program and am
hoping
> that Crystal can do the same with a minimum of change.

> I'm planning on switching to something since RS 3.1 is not working for me,
> have a rather large DB IV database made up of 10 tables with the largest
having
> 25,000 records.  When I do some reports RS seems to miss match records
when I do
> a join.  I like the design of RS, just wish it worked correctly.  There
tech
> support has not been of much help!

> Thanks for any help

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Crystal Reports and Delphi
Quote:
>Just wondering if any one out there could give me some pointers on whether
>switch from Report Smith to Crystal Reports.  What I'm interested in is
ease of
>use.  I can easily launch reports from within a Delphi program and am
hoping
>that Crystal can do the same with a minimum of change.

I am planning to work with RS: I will tell you how I am planning to
integrate RS into my app, there are MANY possible ways, which makes it quite
a tought job (for me) but the picture is quite clear now:

I place a ppViewer1 component on a form which is connect to _the_
ppReport1-component.
The user presses the REPORT-button :
   ppReport1.Template.FileName := 'c:\data\reports\weekreport.rtm';
   ppReport1.Template.Loadfromfile;
   ppViewer1.Report := ppReport1;
   ppReport1.PrintToDevices;
Now the report will show up in the ppViewer1: so the reportbuilder is
integrate in the EXE and the viewer is integrated into a form.
(The report can also be shown in a Dialog-window: ppViewer1.Report.Print;)

RB allows End-User report _editing_(RS can not do that), so there is also
EDIT-button which start the Designer-component:
ppDesigner1.Show;
This will show a seperate window where reports can be edited/create/viewed
and SQL-statements can be made. (RB makes it's own connection to the
database)

Hope this gives you an idea how you _could_ use RB.
(We have taken a look at QR also, but we could hardly contact them)

CU
WS

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Crystal Reports and Delphi

Quote:
> Just wondering if any one out there could give me some pointers on whether
> switch from Report Smith to Crystal Reports.  What I'm interested in is
ease of
> use.  I can easily launch reports from within a Delphi program and am
hoping
> that Crystal can do the same with a minimum of change.

> I'm planning on switching to something since RS 3.1 is not working for me,
> have a rather large DB IV database made up of 10 tables with the largest
having
> 25,000 records.  When I do some reports RS seems to miss match records
when I do
> a join.  I like the design of RS, just wish it worked correctly.  There
tech
> support has not been of much help!

The current version of Crystal Reports has some serious problems with dBase
tables and the problems will not be corrected for the upcoming release of CR
8.  These errors include missing detail information, incorrect sorting,
incorrect data retrieval, performance issues, and the inability to print
memo fields in dBase 7 tables.

Seagate has promised that they would investigate the "possibility" of
getting these corrected, but have yet been unwilling to say "Yes these will
be corrected".  So just be aware that if you run into problems with the
dBase access routines, there may not be any way to get them corrected.

Terry

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Crystal Reports and Delphi
Have you used crystal and delphi with ODBC to a database server?  I've been
trying to find out how to supply crystal with the ODBC connection, but I can't
get the ODBC handle out of the BDE.

klint.

says...

Quote:

>I have been working with Crystal some time.
>In my opinion it is just great, really professional  tool.
>Moreover, it easy integrates with Delphi via ActiveX.
>It is not cheap, but worth the price.
>Good luck.
>Marek.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Crystal Reports and Delphi
Been there. When you design the report, you set the datasource OF THE REPORT
to point at the ODBC DSN you want. So long as nothing happens to the tables
(like dropping or resturcturing them), then it will continue to work that
way using only the Crystal Reports Engine (for redistribution, it's included
in the "Pro" editions). We've done exactly that and it doesn't care even
what the REAL underlying database system is, so long as the DSN matches and
the target table exists and matches its internal record of it. If it doesn't
then you can get some really weird results, but generally htey can be
handled programatically by whatevern launches the CRE.

hth

Footnote: IMHO Crystal haws got to be the best/simplest way to create
reports for redistribution with a product, if only because if the end user
doesn't quite like the result, hey just buy a standard copy and modify it to
suit themselves !

PS: I don't work for Seagate Software....

Quote:
> Have you used crystal and delphi with ODBC to a database server?  I've
been
> trying to find out how to supply crystal with the ODBC connection, but I
can't
> get the ODBC handle out of the BDE.

> klint.

> says...

> >I have been working with Crystal some time.
> >In my opinion it is just great, really professional  tool.
> >Moreover, it easy integrates with Delphi via ActiveX.
> >It is not cheap, but worth the price.
> >Good luck.
> >Marek.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Crystal Reports and Delphi
But doesn't crystal then open a new connection to the database?  I want crystal
to use the existing connection that the delphi app has open.  The VCL component
that we are using has a function called LogonPrivateInfo which takes as one of
the parameters an open ODBC handle which it will then use instead of starting
another connection (which affects the licencing on the database server).

klint.

Quote:

>Been there. When you design the report, you set the datasource OF THE REPORT
>to point at the ODBC DSN you want. So long as nothing happens to the tables
>(like dropping or resturcturing them), then it will continue to work that
>way using only the Crystal Reports Engine (for redistribution, it's included
>in the "Pro" editions). We've done exactly that and it doesn't care even
>what the REAL underlying database system is, so long as the DSN matches and
>the target table exists and matches its internal record of it. If it doesn't
>then you can get some really weird results, but generally htey can be
>handled programatically by whatevern launches the CRE.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. Crystal Report from Delphi 4.0

2. Interbase 32-bit ODBC drivers / Crystal Reports 6.0 / Delphi 2

3. Crystal Reports and Delphi

4. Editing Crystal reports without Crystal Reports

5. Delphi 2.0 and Crystal Reports Version 5 (Regarding Sub-reports)

6. Crystal Report, Quick Report - where to get ?

7. Urgent Help Needed : Delphi / Crystal Reports

8. DELPHI & CRYSTAL REPORTS

9. Crystal Reports 2.0 with Delphi?

10. Crystal Reports Delphi 1.0 Component

11. Delphi 4 + Interbase 5 + Crystal Reports 6

12. Delphi and Crystal Report